Bilateral TKR Chattalyn-6 months-still use cane for gait

Bilateral is hugely inconvenient at first (talk about chairs being hard to get out of, or not being able to stand in the shower for a few weeks) but once we’re over the hump things really even out. I mean as compared with having a single TKR. Once we’re walking, we get up to speed just as quickly.

It’s a great feeling the day you can get into and out of the tub shower without help. Lifting the leg, dragging the foot (not always painlessly) over the tub edge... repeat with other leg. The day that becomes easy and the foot goes easily over is worthy of celebration!

Decided to mop the floors yesterday. Not such a good idea. Floors look good though!

A clean kitchen floor can make you feel so good, but it sure can hurt that knee afterwards! I know you're glad when you look at it!

Guess I'm in the "slow-benders" club? PT measured last week and my ROM in both is 98 and I'm 10 weeks.

I also was knock kneed and had a lateral release on both knees. Does that add to the recovery time?

98 at 10 weeks isn't too bad. Your knee knows what it's doing. As long as it's making progress, there's no need to worry.
Tortoise forward.PNG

There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

"Slow benders", I'm ok with that. 12 weeks and feel like I've turned a corner. Drove for the first time. Doing more cooking at home. Went to the grocery store-still use a cane but a buggy is kind of like a walker. Still feel like I don't have good balance some of the time walking.

Good for you. When you start to feel like you've turned a corner, it's great. And driving is fantastic! Congratulations.

Grocery store buggies make the best incognito walkers! I felt off balance for quite a while and if I’m not careful I still lose my balance a tiny bit.

Glad you turned a corner, it’s always a good feeling!

I would even use the shopping carts if I didn't buy anything! They provide really good security while getting good extension exercises!

ODIC. Why did I think I could clean out part of the frig, cook a little, do dishes, and laundry-which included the equivalent of 5 flights of stairs--in one day.

My mouth just dropped open, literally, reading your post!:wowspring:

Now that all that’s done, rest and pamper yourself !!!

You might need two days of pampering with all that work! (Psst.... it was the stairs. And carrying all that laundry up and down them.) :shocked:

No wonder you are in the ODIC, (overdid it club)! You have earned 3 or 4 days of doing as little as possible! Let your knee calm down before stressing it again. You both, you and your knee, will be glad you did!

At "gentle" PT about once a week, she tapes my knees. I had lateral releases on both. On the left knee my foot wants to turn out, especially after the tape comes off. Is this just that the muscles are not strong enough yet?

Anybody else have to really think about how to walk normally after years of being "knock kneed"? To not resort to walking on the outside of my feet. When I do that (mostly when I'm tired or doing too much), I sometimes lose my balance so I still use a cane when I go out.

While I didn’t have knock-knees, I did walk badly because of so many years of painful, then very bad ROM knees. I had kind of a shuffle and lurch thing going. After getting my new knees, I was surprised at how naturally I could walk again. It felt... familiar, and great, but also a little strange.

When I started walking for longer distances, I noticed I would lapse back into my shuffle. I’d look at the ground all the time and would drag my left foot a little, sometimes my right foot. It was... lurchy. It was what my body was used to. Whenever I caught myself doing this I would make myself stand straight, shoulders back, look up and walk with a correct gait. Over time, I did this less and less and now I don’t lapse back anymore.

I think when we're tired we tend to drift back into our old habit of walking. I still watch the ground, and guess I always will!

5 MONTHS Doing ok. Can sleep on my side! At my last PT in early December both knees were 105/0. I'm not sure my ROM was more than that before surgery. Still watching the ground when I walk. Still working on heel-toe to walk correctly. Use a cane when I go out. I don't know if it's from walking incorrectly, pushing buggy in store, or getting up incorrectly from a seated position-anybody else get pain in upper thigh and back hip area? Also wonder if right leg is slightly shorter than left.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nosila
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom