Bilateral TKR Chattalyn-6 months-still use cane for gait

Chattalyn

Country
United States United States
Just setting up my recovery thread. Bilateral TKR in the morning, 8/8/17.

Your day is on the horizon, @Chattalyn !
I'll sure be looking for you on the other side ! May your sleep be sweet and your ice ever-cold....seriously, you have been poking around here to be SO ready.
You will be amaaaaaazed at how strong and solid your knees will be the first time to stand on them.
Trust those knees, they may need to be babied but they are diamonds!
Post when you can, we're all pulling for you ❤️

Tomorrow!! Wow - all the best!

And here's your reading!

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Glad to see you on this side, @Chattalyn . My RTKR is tomorrow as well, so we are surgery buddies. I'll see you on the other side.

I'm so glad you were able to work everything out to keep your date. I'm not your surgery buddy but I am a fellow Chattanooga bud! This is a good week for surgery, rain every day I think. I'll be looking for your posts when you are able. You've been preparing, you've got this!:friends::yay:

Will be looking for you when you report back. You definitely got this!

Hi @Chattalyn, I wanted to check on you and see how you are. I don't think you are home yet but when you have a minute give us an update. We are all here for you! It's comforting for me to know I'm not in this alone. Family are friends are with me but it's the smarties that really help me keep going!:friends:

How are you doing? I pray everything went well for you!

Surgery went well; took about three hours. The first few days were a blur but I'm in rehab now and doing well. Thank you for all your support. Keep those ice packs coming.

I had a BTKR on July 10th so just a little ahead of you. Watching your progress! Keep the ice on and pain meds on track!

Home as of Saturday. Spent 6 days in hospital-part of which was a blur. Had a little fever, lot of pain meds and my own blood given back to me. Then 5 days in rehab. Was able to get in my house-8 stairs, and then 5 stairs to bedroom/bathroom. Nice to be back home.

Welcome home, Chattalyn! There really is no place like it. You can now set the pace of your own elevating and icing, and just settle in to let your knees heal. Sending healing thoughts and good wishes your way!

@Chattalyn I hope you are doing well. Don't forget we are here if you have concerns, questions, or need a listening ear. Update when you can, We'll be here.

@Chattalyn, welcome back home. Be sure and read those articles that were left for you by Josephine. They will be very helpful. If you follow the guidelines, you'll have a much quicker and easier recovery. Be sure and ice and elevate as much as you can! Don't forget your meds as prescribed. You want to stay well medicated and not have to chase your pain. Keeping ahead of it is the best way.

@Chattalyn It is good to see your post. I have been looking for my fellow Tennesseans. sounds like you have had a rough few days. I hope that you recovery goes much better than your last few days. Will be looking forward to your reports. Ice, Ice baby!!

Welcome home, @Chattalyn .

Josephine has left you your recovery reading, in Post #3.

Wishing you well as you step forward into recovery! :flwrysmile:

Recovery going better after a rough start. I'm so glad I found this site. In rehab I told a PT "no" for an exercise/machine and asked her if there was an alternative for it. She listened to me! Insurance decided I should leave rehab last Saturday which was ok with me. It's good to be home. My ROM was 68 when I left rehab and at the doctor's this week it was 90. Just did activities of daily living, walking, ankle pumps, heel slides, etc.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom