THR Charlie's RTHR Recovery Thread

Sensibility is your best friend, currently. Things go so much better if you can remain patient and let things heal and calm down, thoroughly.
Glad to read your thread and see that you are on board with slow and steady. :thumb:

Ok folks day 15:
- Walking unaided, doing 2 dedicated 15 min (.5 mile slow) walks per day in addition to ADL's inside house (meal/diswasher/make bed). iphone clocking 5000-6000 steps a day for past 5 days.
- Exercise bike 10 mins no resistance.
- My poodle wont leave my side :)
- Doing some pushups and light upper body.
- Going up/down stairs for about 5 days... home PT just said 'do it', but I dont treat stairs like an exercise (like up and down 10x etc).
- I take consistent breaks during day (and a few naps). Still doing home PT pretty basic, some standing, usual stuff. Formal Physical Terrorist haha starts today outpatient. I'm slightly freaked after reading so much about physios here haha.:badspidy:
- Leg often sore at end of day, but only discomfort when I bend it lying on bed. Typically better in morning.
- Movement starting to feel more natural with stride length getting incrementally better.

One thing to report: big time quad muscle spasms last night. Not sure why: that muscle was pretty wasted / inactive from old hip. maybe getting activated now not sure. Dont think I overdid anything intentionally.

Welcome any comments especially on muscle spasms, thanks all for responses.

Welcome any comments especially on muscle spasms
I had major muscle spasms post LTHR. Very gentle stretches eased them. Ice and just "walking it off" also worked. Not sure of the cause - but I thought the same, muscles now asked to work after months/years of inactivity.

Why Bonesmart so important...

Last week my home PT talked to me and my wife about 'the journey' I'm on with my hip. She made a point to say this is YOUR journey.... i.e. your wife is here to support you, but don't be a pain in the butt to her talking to much about it!!!

LOADS of truth here. Other than hippies we all know personally and in this forum, no one really gets the joke. The support and knowledge from this board is truly amazing. Reading older threads really helps and also answer questions I might otherwise post as 'new'.

That said... also finding value in distractions i.e. other 'non hip' topics super important for recovery to extent to get mind off things.. So, make time for active recovery but try to keep a balance with other things in life. Easier said than done depending on the day.

Hope you all have a good day!

This!! Not only to you get the joke- you know the punchline!
So glad you understand the concept and value of this forum.
It’s your resource for so many levels of your joint replacement journey.
Your PT sounds good philosophically, hopefully she enables you to heal/recover at a realistic pace.
Have a great day!

Thanks for the sentiment above, Charlie. It's always nice to read how the forum has been beneficial in a member's recovery. I'm glad you joined BoneSmart and thank you for your valuable contributions here.
Happy Thursday...I hope its a good one for you! :)
@Charlie33

@Charlie33 I had the muscle spasms after first hip op, normally during or just after exercising. I, too, put it down to muscle weakness after such a long time of inactivity. Without even realiz(s)ing it, the spasms stopped. So, I can therefore give you my studied answer as to the cause and solution of the spasms......drum roll......no idea. Hope that helps and carry on with relaxed and painless recovery.

First outpatient PT session yesterday. Lots of ROM work and initial set exercises one can do in bed or on a floor mat.

He noted my quad was pretty wasted and stretched it. Minor soreness today and not sure value of stretching a poorly conditioned / atrophied muscle which I will question next time.

No doubt there has to be some aches/pains to activate and strengthen but from all I’ve read here a delicate balance.

First outpatient PT session yesterday. Lots of ROM work and initial set exercises one can do in bed or on a floor mat.

He noted my quad was pretty wasted and stretched it. Minor soreness today and not sure value of stretching a poorly conditioned / atrophied muscle which I will question next time.

No doubt there has to be some aches/pains to activate and strengthen but from all I’ve read here a delicate balance.
PT :))) mine was , hey here is a sheet with 6 exercises, do them and walk and walk and walk !!

You say he stretched it, did he actually move you or just show you a stretch? Over stretching a healthy muscle doesn't feel good afterwards. Question everything especially if it hurts afterwards, leave the no pain no gain for the heroes.

One of the reasons I believe I had some increased pain at six weeks is my doctor had asked me to discontinue my meloxicam then. So in addition to increasing my activity, I was down to just a nightIke dose of Tylenol. The meloxicam was great!

You say he stretched it, did he actually move you or just show you a stretch?
He stretched it while I was lying on the table. He didn’t push it too far thankfully.

I went to a chiro pre hip replacement who did aggressive muscle release 3 times a week for 2 weeks. I thought I could just fix it all through PT. It was a horrible decision and I paid for it with back pain and pelvic instability. After this saw my GP and had an X-ray showing severe OA. Had to wait a month for everything to calm down, during which got an ortho and surgery scheduled. At some point all pt or chiro in the world doesn’t matter if you don’t have a good enough hip to build on.

7A1F32C5-A2DA-44A3-A063-36A396F80C36.jpeg
Have used a massage gun for a long time. Post op On low setting helpful to get some blood flow into tissues. Just a suggestion as haven’t seen on forum. This is a knock off brand, easy to find.

Hi Charlie,
A word of caution for you and those reading here...
I am not sure about using a massage gun on surgically traumatized tissue, they seem to be mostly for sore muscles after sports activities. Please check with your surgeon and PT before attempting to use a massage gun on your new hip.
@Charlie33

Personally I would not let a PT move my legs even after almost 5 years since my THR. I'd be cautious about a PT laying hands on you. Sounds like your previous PT experience didn't work out well.

Hi Charlie,
A word of caution for you and those reading here...
I am not sure about using a massage gun on surgically traumatized tissue, they seem to be mostly for sore muscles after sports activities. Please check with your surgeon and PT before attempting to use a massage gun on your new hip.
@Charlie33
Hi Layla,
Thanks, in hindsight excellent advice and should clarify I don’t use anywhere near surgery site more on thighs and calves. That said agree please check with PT or surgeon. The gun pictured is pretty weak, others are much stronger and would hate for someone to get wrong one or do to hard and do more harm than good…

Hi all;

Has anyone had a random cramp/charley horse in hamstring. Started mid afternoon after PT. PT was pretty light so nothing crazy. Curious if part of muscles waking up or par for the course?

Appreciate feedback, really tight :(.

Thanks,
Charlie

Last edited:
Hi Charlie33, I haven't, but I've read of others on the forum getting what they refer to as spasms. Hopefully they will offer you reassuring feedback soon.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back