THR Chappyd's recovery story

Chappyd

Country
United States United States
I guess its that time. 12 hours from now I'll be prepped and waiting on my surgeon to fix me up. I did hear some good news today. About a month ago we ran into some old friends while grocery shopping, and we told them I was having my right hip replaced tomorrow. She said her brother was getting a hip replacement also the following Monday at the same Hospital I am going to. This afternoon she texted us to wish me well on my surgery and said her brother is doing very well and up and about. Turns out he had the same surgeon I have. That news really took the edge off, but I doubt I'll sleep much tonight anyway. My daughter is picking us up at 4:15 for the trip in to be there at 5. Exciting times indeed....:spin::yikes::scaredycat:

PS: I found the emojis!

That is so thoughtful for them to remember your surgery date! And indeed reassuring for you. Perhaps in a couple of months you and her brother could meet up for some new hip paced walks together. I was surprised how easily I dozed on the eve of my surgery - only lasted 2 hours but better than nothing.
Yay for finding the emojis!! :egypdance::yes!::happydance:

Hello @Chappyd - and :welome:

I hope your surgery goes well.

Here is the recovery reading we give to everyone with a new hip:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi @Chappyd
Wishing you only the best! You may surprise yourself and sleep. I did.
Sleep that is....and surprise myself too:heehee:

We'll look forward to your first post, once you're feeling up to it.
Your going to love the result of the surgery. I'm excited for you! :happydance:
Wishing you peace and comfort as you await tomorrow.

Thank you Celle & Layla. I'll be hanging out for a while, and enjoying the company!

That's fantastic news to get today from your friends and what good timing too! An early surgery too, so you'll be done and ready for lunch before you know it!
It really was reassuring. Still anxious, but maybe 10 percent less anyway :shocked:

It really was reassuring. Still anxious, but maybe 10 percent less anyway
Every little bit helps!!

Tomorrow you will be able to start your recovery! It's a whole lot better than the lead up---the pain of the bad hip, the things you try before realizing you need surgery, and finally the waiting for the surgery. :SUNsmile:

All the best today @Chappyd ! See you on this side soon!

:wave:I see you have your "healing side" thread ready to go.
A new hip meant a new life for me...you are going to get your life back too!:tada:

And I'm out of surgery! Sitting in recovery with my wife, feeling pretty comfortable. Got a nice ice bag. Waiting for the PT folks to come and get me to go cruise around. Then hopefully I can pee and head home !

Benefit of a super early surgery---going home sooner! Just be sure you take it easy, and call your doctor if you have any questions or concerns about your pain or meds early on. :SUNsmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom