BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Change in Surgery Date

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Lea61, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Lea61

Lea61 member

United States United States
    I received a call from OS office that they had a cancellation and asked if I wanted to move my surgery date up to Oct. 9th. My initial reaction was panic....feeling that it was too soon and it didn't give me enough time (although I can't answer what I needed more time for!). Anyway, I did say yes, so I am now scheduled for October 9th for a bilateral THR (assuming that I am cleared for having bilateral after pre-op testing). I am getting myself so nervous now that I feel I could be physically sick. I'm not able to think of anything else, so my mind never gets a break. Don't know how I am going to get through the next 2 1/2 weeks like this.

2. Barbaraj

Barbaraj graduate

Hey, @Lea61, given that the surgery is going to happen, I think it makes sense to take the earlier date. If you are already stressed out about the surgery (everyone can relate!) then having it done sooner rather than later means you have less time to stress about it. For what it's worth, look at your schedule for the next 2-1/2 weeks and try to load it up with activities (within your physical limitations) that take your mind off the surgery. Sure, you're still going to have times when you feel afraid and obsessed, but try to remind yourself that you are doing the right (and only) thing you can do to fix this problem. It is frightening and bizarre on so many levels, but pat yourself on the back for having the strength and courage to do the right thing at the right time. Best of luck to you, and hang in there. My final week lead up has caused increased anxiety for me, but the time is also flying! I hope that will be the case for you, too.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Lea61

Lea61 member

Hi @Barbaraj Thank you for all your positive thoughts. I just read through your posts from "My hip is like a college bound senior" and I can relate to all the feelings you are experiencing waiting for surgery. I just didn't have the "college bound senior" experience (LoL) as my two sons went to colleges that were close to home, they never left....literally...so now they are two college graduates still at home (but at least they have good full time jobs and we are lucky for that). So many college grads end up going back home because they are unable to find jobs today. So we are fortunate.
    Anyway, your trip to the winery sounds amazing. I 'm sure this time of year it must be beautiful in Oregon and it was perfect timing for you to get away.
    I know you feel anxious, but your sense of positivity still always manages to come through. I'll be following your posts and wish you the best.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Barbaraj

Barbaraj graduate

Well, thanks, @Lea61. I confess I love all my kids, but was so relieved to have them go away to college (although three of them were at colleges less than 1-1/2 hours away so actually pretty close) and the youngest went across the US to Florida for college! They have all turned into great adults, with none living at home now and all supporting themselves (the bar isn't that high these days--they may end up surprising themselves and me in the future with Great Things, but for now having them living independently is MAJOR in my view). Anyway, I am hoping they'll find time to come and visit me post-surgery, stay for brief and cheery visits and then be on their way. Thanks for your good wishes, and I'm trying to stay positive (fake it until you make it) since that sense of inevitability is definitely taking over my life these last few days.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  5. Mersada

Mersada member

Wow, October 9th...that's right there. Well, panic now or panic later...your still going to panic. Might as well get it over with. My hip is on my mind everyday, so is the potential surgery....even tho, I'm not doing it till next spring.

I hope you have everything you need in place. I think you will be fine. I will be looking forward to following your story. Atleast, you have your kids home to help. I don't have that benefit...don't know how I'm going to do it alone...but, it is going to have to happen sooner or later.

So, the hospital had a cancellation, wonder if someone chickened out...that would be something I would do...lol.

You have the right place to panic...everyone here understands. Good luck and can't wait to hear a positive outcome.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @Lea61 :wave:
    My surgery was scheduled for approximately 4 weeks from a definitive diagnosis of end stage OA in both hips. I thought I had a ruptured disc in my back!:umm:
    I was pretty shaken up...but glad I had short waiting period.
    I would've never been completely "ready" for BTHR mentally or emotionally.
    BUT I Was ready to get rid of the horrid pain, lack of sleep, and get on the recovery road back to life.

Wishing you comfort as you wait...
    I've never regretted this surgery!:dancy:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Barbaraj

Barbaraj graduate

Hope you're hanging in there, @Lea61 In some ways October seems a long way off, but I'm betting the time will go quickly for you, and before you know it you'll be arriving at the hospital, probably stressed out but ready to get it over with, like everyone else on this forum. Your recovery from a bilateral THR will be tougher than the singletons, but you will get it over and done with, not worrying (like me) that the other hip is going to give out as soon as the first one gets fixed. Not sure what the weather is like in your neck of the woods, but here it's bright and sunny which is helping my nerves a bit. Today and tomorrow to go, and then Wednesday morning--gulp--will be here!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  9. Knitquilt

Knitquilt member

I also took a cancellation for my first hip replacement. My date went from December 18 to October 10! I had one week to prepare. Most of the week was taken up with pre op appts. and the time flew. It was one of the best decisions I ever made!

Good luck to you!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Toddlermom

Toddlermom graduate

@Lea61 Each day after surgery is another day closer to a life with much less pain. I know it is scary. The longer you wait, the more hip pain grows. Make your list of tasks to accomplish and get as many as you can done this week. Once I had to go off all anti-inflammatory and pain meds......I was pretty useless in the last 3-4 days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Indeed, having to come off the meds pre op certainly indicates to you how bad your post op hip is. By the time I was at the hospital I was so relieved that the op was finally going to happen.

Best of luck and go for it!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Lea61

Lea61 member

@Mersada ...Hi there. I totally agree with you that it wouldn't matter whether I panic now or later. It was a good thing that I needed to give them an answer right away and didn't have time to over think my decision. So now I am trying to get all the pre op testing and clearances done. I went to my MD yesterday for the cardiogram and blood work and he cleared me for surgery. Since I have high blood pressure (which is controlled with meds), I have an appointment for a cardiologist on Thursday. Then this Saturday is the pre testing at the NYU.
    I have been having trouble falling asleep at night and it is not because of any hip pain. Even though I feel tired, as soon as I go to bed, I am wide awake. I end up getting up and watch tv, or go on the computer. Monday night I even cleaned out my pantry at 2 am ! I fall asleep around 4 am. It's a good thing I don't have to get up for work.
    Thanks for your support.:)
    @Barbaraj ... October doesn't feel so far away anymore :nah:! I am trying to hang in... as I wrote to Mersada, I am having trouble sleeping, so I guess that's an indication of how stressed I am, even though I may not appear to be on the outside. I live on the East coast, NYC. Actually Mersada and I are both from Staten Island, one of the 5 boros of the city. It is funny that she can't live but a few miles from me (SI is not all that big) ! It's a cloudy, dreary and rainy day today, but I have no where to go, so let it rain.

13. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

It is going to be great to be rid of that horrible hip pain. I will tell you that I had NO IDEA what to expect and couldn't even let my mind go there.
    A close associate of mine did tell me that I might be hating life for the first week...mostly due to the unknown and feelings of dependence (as he knows me well)...but that in short order I would be realizing that my HIP pain was gone at all the other post op pain, discomfort, and annoyances were Temporary with a tremendous payoff in the end.
    They were absolutely right...I feel younger, healthier, and happier than I have in a very long time.
    Cant wait to have another "Both at Once?" bilateral pal.
    You've got this!:SUNsmile:

14. Lea61

Lea61 member

@Mojo333 ,@Jaycey , Thank you for your support and well wishes. Since there are not too many bilaterals out there, knowing that Mojo has no regrets taking the two at a time route is helpful. I hope my recovery goes smoothly, but I have learned a lot from this forum, the do's and the don'ts, and so I will take all that with me on my future road....

• Like Like x 2
  15. Barbaraj

Barbaraj graduate

Yes, I can understand about sleeping (or not), @Lea61! Whether it's because of hip pain or anxiety, I suspect many folks on this forum didn't sleep well before surgery and many, or so I've somewhat depressingly read, also have problems post-surgery for a while. I was wide awake at 5:00 AM this morning, stressing about tomorrow and getting mad at myself for being so foolish. Anyway, glad you feel that your October appointment isn't that far away (I'm sure the time will go quickly) and sounds like you've got a few things to get done before then. PS I used to live in Manhattan, a gazillion years ago, and I do remember taking the ferry out to Staten Island. Had fun living on the east coast after college, but happy to return home to the west coast and family after a few years.

16. Lea61

Lea61 member

@Knitquilt @SurreyGirl @Toddlermom ....Thanks so much for your words of support. It helps so much to hear from others who know how this all feels and truly understands all the ups and downs of it. It feels like it is a ride, but I didn't get on it yet (I'm still on line)!....

• Like Like x 2
  17. Lea61

Lea61 member

@Barbaraj .....wow, so you came to NY to go to college? It must have been nice living in Manhattan. There is no place like it. After college, I worked downtown and I enjoyed being in the city everyday, but I am glad I did it when I was younger would never want that commute now. I appreciate having no commute time, since shortly after I had my own kids, I went back to school and then got a teaching job on SI. Kind of had two very different careers.

18. Lea61

Lea61 member

@Barbaraj .....How are you feeling today? I guess you have all your post op supplies ready at home? Can you believe you won't be on the pre-op forum anymore? ! I hope you have a restful day as you prepare for tomorrow. Good luck and I will be looking forward to reading about you in the post op forum. Take care.....

19. Barbaraj

Barbaraj graduate

Hey, @Lea61 I am chugging along in my day, feeling anxious (well, duh...!) but know that tomorrow morning will be here before I know it. I've started a thread on the post-op side, per Layla's direction, and I'll be on the forum on the other side once I'm home and functioning again. By the way, I went to college in Pennsylvania, not NYC. I lived in NYC post-college with my ex-husband before home sickness and his agreement to move finally brought me back to the west coast (WA) again. It was fun being young in NYC although we were super poor and lived in a teeny-tiny studio apartment with flop down Murphy beds, and ate lots of cheap Chinese food. Thanks for your good luck wishes--I'll take all I can get!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Toddlermom

Toddlermom graduate

@Lea61 Lady, I would have done bilateral if they would have let me!!! When I asked, they told me I had 2-3 years on the other. And here I am! I wish that I was done. :bawl:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1