Chances of infections from nose piercings or earrings.

Cecropia

graduate
Country
United States United States
I never should have read about infections in hip replacements and spacers. It's all real and I feel sadness for those going through it and pray for all good outcomes. But now I'm afraid to have my THR surgery....my husband warned me to only read the positive. I have pierced ears and a nose piercing. Should I grow all these shut for safety? My husband had a total shoulder replacement 2 years ago and has pierced ear. He is doing fine but he rarely worries about anything. He also is diabetic and has to have dental work. I need dental work, 3 more new crowns eventually and is another concern. My mental attitude is a mess these days. Am I over reacting? How common are infections? Is it a low percentage? Will my nickle allergy be a source of possible infection, even tho I'm having the oxinium implant. A lot of questions I know I need to discuss this with my surgeon this coming Thursday.

I know that feeling.... Only read the good stuff. Seriously, tho, my surgeon never even asked about piercings, so apparently that is a big nothing to him. He does a little over 200 THR per year and his infection rate is less than 2% over 5 years.

I'm sure someone who has better answers than me will be along shortly. I just wanted to say, I know how you are feeling. But I had to keep reminding myself that not every bad thing was going to happen to me. Odds were good none of the bad things would.

But definitely ask your surgeon. I'm sure he/she can allay your fears.

Thanks Sarah. I see him this Thursday. Unfortunately anxiety and depression run in my family. I always told my husband I'll be fine with my inherited symptoms if nothing else major happens to me in my life. Now I'm finding out this really ramps up my symptoms, but so far I'm fighting back as hard as I can to stay focused and not let this new challenge get the best of me....Fortunately I am on an extremely low dose of anxiety medication and my pcp is prepared to increase if necessary to get me to the other side of this and then decrease. Shes a wonderful doctor, very supportive.:SUNsmile:

Hi @Cecropia Happy Monday to you! :wave:
I've never heard anything about piercings as I prepared for surgery, or thereafter for that matter.
I have pierced ears and don't really have any concern about it.
As far as extensive dental work, I'd try to schedule it all before surgery if you're able. It will give you less to worry about afterward since you're prone to anxiety as you've described.

Thanks for joking us here. Stick with us and we'll offer advice, support and encouragement as we're able.
A great week to you!

My nose ring stayed in through surgery, I've also got 6 holes in my ears. It was never mentioned as a problem, I don't think it's anything to be worrying about x

I've had my nose piercing for 8 years. I was 59. lol. I sometimes get irritation and then I soak it with sea salt, not often. So worried if it gets infected after surgery, then would it travel right to the implant. Uggg....so much to think about. I dont have dental insurance. One crown done 5 months ago 1000 dollars. Eck. Still paying on it. But I did read just now that if you take antibiotics 1 hr before dental work you should be fine. Hummm. My surgeon is probably going to say stop researching and breathe when he hears all my concerns.

Rhi, you are so young and positive. Wonderful to see that. Thanks....

Love the picture with your horse.... I also just went back and finished reading your recovery story. You sure have beautiful long hair in the pictures with your horse, glad he's okay too...

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back