BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Chamomile tea and the vagus nerve

Discussion in 'LIBRARY Nutritional Articles' started by Poppet, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Poppet

Poppet Nutritional Advisor

Australia Australia
    Chamomile tea... maybe consider trying it.

It has been used since the days of ancient Egypt to promote calmness and as a mild sedative. I add a peppermint tea bag, chamomile acts on the Vegas nerve and if I have eaten something spicey which I know may make it more difficult to get to sleep, the peppermint helps settle the tum, tum :) also, I am not a fan of straight chamomile, so even when drinking it during the day, I add a different type of herbal tea bag... like lemon myrtle...

So what is the vagus nerve... well it runs from the brainstem to the organs of the chest and abdomen, sends and receives messages to control the functioning of the digestive system, heart, lungs, and some glands. The longest nerve in the cranium, it has multiple branches that influence many organs. Sensory receptors relay vital information through this nerve from the organs and the ear to the brain. Nerve impulses from the brain control muscle contractions in the digestive organs, lungs, and heart as part of the autonomic nervous system. This nerve is also called cranial nerve X, as it is the tenth of the 12 pairs of cranial nerves.

Many aspects of digestion are controlled by the vagus nerve. It is first stimulated by the smell, sight, and taste of the food as it enters the mouth. This sets in motion the release of stomach acids and digestive juices. Branches of the nerve influence swallowing, while others control peristalsis, the contraction of muscles in the digestive system that move food along. Excretion of wastes is influenced by the branches of the nerve that reach the colon and kidneys.

image.jpg

Disclaimer: The information on dietary factors, foods, and beverages contained in this article does not cover all possible uses, actions, precautions, side effects, and interactions. It is not intended as medical advice for individual problems. Liability for individual actions or omissions based upon the contents of this article is expressly disclaimed. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions including the taking of supplements.

• Like Like x 12