Ceramic or Poly

uesgasman

Country
United States United States
I'm scheduled for THR on June 28th. My surgeon is using the Corin mini hip and I have the option of using ceramic on ceramic or ceramic on poly? Does anyone have any thoughts as to which combination would be best? My surgeon thinks the Ceramic on Ceramic is more durable, but a small percentage of these start squeaking after a few years.

Might be worth asking your surgeon if he has any feedback from long term patients. Either option is probably as good as the other, just with certain tradeoffs. The CoC would be durable, and have less chance of any poly particles eventually wearing out, but CoC has the potential (even if slight) to possibly crack. And squeak, too, as you mentioned.

Not sure I would have a preference but not sure I'd want to make the choice, either. Good luck!

Let your surgeon chose the implant that they feel works best for you. They are the experts!

I’d choose a very reputable surgeon who does a lot of hip replacements each year - at least 100 - and then let him/her choose. I was not given a choice and just went with what my OS (who does about 500 hip and knee replacements a year) chose to out in and at them moment I can’t even remember what it was but it works great. Most of us don’t have the knowledge and/or experience to pick the best implant for our bodies.

Either option is great ... CoC may be more durable ... but ceramic on cross-linked polyethylene is amazingly durable--so make sure to not think "durable" vs. "not durable." I wonder if the surgeon has done more of one than the other?

Do you know how many mini-hips your surgeon has done?

My surgeon thinks the Ceramic on Ceramic is more durable, but a small percentage of these start squeaking after a few years.
This used to be the case but some time ago, the ceramic implant manufacturers reworked the material so it now no longer makes any noises. At all!

Wow, choices?!! I never had a choice, never even questioned it. I trusted my surgeon and found out what type I had after reading my surgery notes. Now...if I could pick a color, I might want some input, I read about and saw a pic of a pretty lavender one, lol.

Only two weeks to go...you're going to love the result!
Wishing you comfort as you await your date.
@uesgasman

My surgeon used ceramic on poly. He said he has had complaints about ceramic on ceramic because of squeaking sound. I have had both of mine replaced no problems.

He said he has had complaints about ceramic on ceramic because of squeaking sound.
That would have been an awfully long time ago!
I saw a pic of a pretty lavender one, lol.
Like this?

biolox ceramic head-cup cut.jpg

It is pretty. Only thing is that if you had one, you'd never see it!

Thank you all for your input, very helpful!

How can I reply to posts individually? I haven't figured that out yet

How can I reply to posts individually?
Just post in the box at the bottom of the page. To tag a member so that they will see your reply just use the @ sign followed by their user name (with no space). When you tag you will see a drop down list of members with similar user names. Just click on the user you are tagging. The tag will appear as active when you post the reply like this @uesgasman .

Thinking of you today and will be glad to see you on the healing side! @uesgasman
Bye bye hip pain!:dancy:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom