Rotator Cuff Repair Cementless Shoulder Journey

I've heard the same about recovery from rotator cuff repair. Shoulder replacement must be a breeze compared to that recovery. I'm glad this is working for you and that you like this doctor. Years ago when my shoulder was really bad, I was able to get several more years out of it with a cortisone shot and an arthroscopic cleanup. Thankfully my rotator cuff remained healthy so that I was able to then get a standard shoulder replacement. I don't know if waiting is always a good idea. In my case I was caring for my husband and couldn't do that and shoulder recovery at the same time. However, my shoulder was "trashed" (medical terminology used by my surgeon :heehee:) and I needed to do something to try and delay the surgery.

I had rotator cuff surgery and used the sling for 6 weeks, which I think is standard. My activities we limited for a few months after that, but was completely released by surgeon and PT at about 4 months. I also had little pain. Everyone is different, though.

I was able to get several more years out of it with a cortisone shot and an arthroscopic cleanup.

I am a little suspicious of the procedure called "arthroscopic cleanup". It reminds me, when they remove a torn meniscus in the knee which eventually leads to a TKR. The doctor said, that it really helps and there is no meniscus to take out. Hmmm. What is the recovery for that procedure? Do you have to go to PT after it?
Btw: NOT planning on having it any time soon. :thumb:

Recovery from an arthroscopic shoulder clean out procedure would depend on what was done. Mine involved removing some bone spurs and I think it was a month or two to recover. I didn't need any therapy afterwards as my activities of daily living taking care of my husband was plenty.

You'll know when it's time that you need to do something with your shoulder. When I finally had my shoulder replacement, I didn't have tremendous pain, but I could only lift my left arm to shoulder height. That was not satisfactory to me.....I am way too active and need my mobility. I now have full range of motion from my shoulder with the exception of just some slight movement behind my back (like to hook a bra). But that's easy to compensate for and frankly that movement has always been difficult for me.

Left arm/shoulder acting up the last couple of weeks. I guess the cortisone shot didn't really help. I hope nothing tore and it is just inflamed from overdoing lifting, etc. making the bed. When I bend over and raise back up the left upper arm hurts. I can raise my arm above my head, no problem and behind my back. ES Tylenol helps and icing when I do it. It feels better if I hold the arm close to my body and across my chest when raising up from bending over. :sad:

l can’ imagine you’ve torn anything in your shoulder since you still have good mobility and no pain with shoulder movement. You might want to check with your surgeon if it’s not improving after a few days or a week, I’m not sure why you would get pain when you raise up after bending over. I’m not surprised that it feels better when you hold your arm close to your body, though. That’s a “neutral” position for your shoulder and arm. I hope you’re resting it for a while.

What is the best shoulder upper arm wrap for icing? Something easy to use. So many choices on the internet! :shrug:

I don't know that there really is a "best" wrap. You want one that's as large as possible and that is easy to apply. It can be good to have straps or a way to secure it to your body so that it doesn't move around on you. I would suggest you get two so one can be in the freezer all the time (unless you're using an ice machine, of course). If you have an ice machine from your knee replacement, you can usually buy an shoulder or universal attachment that fits the machine and use that.

My only caveat for ice wraps would be to stay away from any that are honeycombed as they will warm up more rapidly than a solid gel pack.

@Jamie, what did you use after your TSR in 2019? What are other people using after a TSR? :unsure: I NEVER used the ice machine I bought after my revision. Oh well.

I used my ice machine for the first few days while in the hospital, but could not use it at home because I couldn't get it on without help and I was by myself. I used large gel packs when I first got home, but discontinued them after a few days. I actually didn't experience a lot of pain or swelling with my shoulder replacement. I took Tramadol for pain on a schedule for a short while, but was able to transition to Tylenol after that for any pain.

@Cementless - you asked me in another thread about icing. I used the same old-fashioned ice bags (the ones you fill with ice and then dump out the water) for my hip replacements and shoulder surgery. For the most part I was icing while in my recliner and could just lay them in place. I had a special belt to hold them on when it was my hip but it was too difficult to use with my shoulder. In the end, I found that the one use I had left for pantyhose was using it to tie icebags in place! That (or a wide ace bandage) should do the trick.

@Jockette, @Jamie, @SaraK: Question for All you BoneSmart people: Have any of you worn a shoulder brace going thru airport security? I am traveling this holiday and plan to do carry on/purse/(backpack)/etc. I was thinking of ordering and wearing a shoulder brace, so as not to injure my shoulder more. Concerned about going thru security. :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:

Last edited:
I never wore a shoulder brace through an airport, but if it has any metal to it, you may be asked for an inspection. You're going to have to go through the scanner because of your knee replacement and they require you to raise both arms above your head for the scan. Are you going to be able to do that? If not, you'll need to tell the TSA agent immediately and ask for a manual screening. It can be done in private if you prefer.

I'm not sure how well the shoulder brace will work but you probably will need to go thru manual screening unless it can be taken off and put back on at security. Do you have a sling with the bolster pillow? It could be helpful for support and also help as a visual cue to others to be careful around you. Mine didn't have any metal so could go thru metal detector. Who knows, it could even get you bumped up to first class where you'd have more room!

You're going to have to go through the scanner because of your knee replacement and they require you to raise both arms above your head for the scan. Are you going to be able to do that?
@Jamie: I always have to use the scanner with both arms up...I had not thought about raising my arm if it is in a shoulder brace. I can raise my arm up though. Maybe, I will use it until I get to security and then take it off.
Do you have a sling with the bolster pillow?
@ SaraK: No, I don't have a sling with a bolster pillow. Might check that out. I assume Amazon has them? We are fortunate to get tickets in first class! :carols:

First Class will definitely make it more comfortable for you. And I highly recommend the shoulder brace with the pillow cushion. Not only is it more comfortable than just a sling, it properly positions your arm and is a huge sign to others that you're wounded. If you purchase it through Amazon, I suggest you join their Amazon Smile program. When you register, you need to indicate your donations go to the Foundation for the Advancement in Research in Medicine (FARM), our parent company. They funnel all donations for BoneSmart to us. If you make all your Amazon purchases in this way (not just medical items), it costs you nothing extra and we receive small portions of each of your purchases. It's painless donating and we greatly appreciate it!

And I highly recommend the shoulder brace with the pillow cushion. Not only is it more comfortable than just a sling, it properly positions your arm.
@Jamie: do you have the name for a specific shoulder brace with a pillow cushion?

The one my surgeon gave me was a DonJoy Ultrasling with abduction pillow. It is available thru Amazon.

@Jamie Every time I mention my left shoulder pain to a friend or family member, they say: " Are you doing PT?
Should I be doing PT? I went back and reread the notes the doctor put in my chart and it said:
"rotator cuff tendonitis". It is slowly getting better because I am VERY careful NOT to lift a lot of weight with that arm. What about PT though?

Last edited:
@Cementless so sorry your "friends" are giving you this guilt. I would just politely but firmly tell these people that you are not in training.

Tendonitis can be caused by over activity. If you are seeing improvement I would say you are doing exactly what is needed! Hang in there - damaged tendons can take awhile to heal.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads