Reverse Shoulder Replacement Celle's Reverse Shoulder Replacement

Fantastic you were able to drive with out a problem. Glad you are getting a new car, airbags are a good thing to have. :driver:

You have me beat, Celle - I traded in a 71 Maverick (I might from my parents who'd bought it new) in 87 when I got out of school. It had been in Germany for 2 years when they didn't use rust proofing on US cars. Very little of original underside was left and I'd fixed an 8 inch hole into the trunk. The engine was still great, though!

Glad the driving went well - so glad your recovery has been smooth!

Great news to hear the driving went well for you, Celle.
Good luck car shopping! Hope you find one you love.:)

I saw my PT today. She's very pleased with my shoulder.
She gave me some exercises to gently strengthen my shoulder, but told me not to go overboard with them.

She's less pleased with me for being silly enough to spend too much time in the garden, sitting on a low, hard stool.

I have given myself ischial bursitis - inflammation of the bursa on the bone you sit on - and trochanteric bursitis, as well as inflammation at the top of my hamstrings and some inflammation of my iliotibial band as well.

I have orders to limit my time on hard chairs, to sit on pillows, and to alternate heat and icing on the sore areas.
I'm off now to rest, sitting on a warm wheat bag, with a frozen gel pack over my trochanteric bursa.
Afternoon "nanna-nap", here I come.

Glad to hear your shoulder is coming along well, hope your sore ischial tuberosity and greater trochanter start feeling better.
Time to invest in some cushions for your gardening stools/chairs.

Time to invest in some cushions for your gardening stools/chairs.
Yes, I should have known better. I just wanted to finish the job of planting some seedlings before the weather broke.

Feeling sore today. My shoulder is all right, but I have pain from my ischial and trochanteric bursitis and now I have an infected ingrown toenail.

Saw my GP this afternoon and now I'm on antibiotics again.

Well you certainly didn’t need an infected toenail on top of everything else. :console2:I hope everything settles down for you soon.

Wow, Never heard of ischial tuberosity and greater trochanter! I sit all the time on rock. My house is mostly flagstone with moss cracks I'm always weeding. I wear the seat out of about 6 pairs of pants a summer. Guess, I'll start using the pads I got, but never use. Take care of teh at toe. They HURT!!!

Thanks for the kind thoughts, @HandyWOMAN . My bursitis feel a bit better this morning, but my toe is still sore.
I have another appointment with my GP about that tomorrow.

14+ weeks post-op.

I had my 3-month check-up yesterday. My appointment was for 10.10 a.m. and I didn't get seen until 10.55. People who arrived after me were seen before me.
I asked why, but received no reasonable explanation.

When I saw the doctor, it was someone new to me. She tested my ROM, asked what I could do, and seemed satisfied with my progress. She asked if I wanted to wait to see my surgeon, but I said "No thank you. I don't have any problems and I think I've waited long enough."

I'm to be seen again at one year post-op.

I'm sorry you had to wait but glad the outcome was good. I was surprised when I was totally released at about 4 MO with my rotator cuff - no long term follow-up!

I had my 3-month check-up yesterday. My appointment was for 10.10 a.m. and I didn't get seen until 10.55.
That's lightening speed compared to what we see here. Annoying that people who arrive late get seen before you! We get that here all the time!

From my perspective, the appointment was a complete waste of time.

Plus, the clinic was busy - several doctors with different specialities were seeing patients - and the waiting room was crowded. Social distancing was impossible.

Even though NZ currently has no active Covid cases in the community, we are still trying to take precautions, "just in case".

I am pleased with my shoulder. I'm trying now to use it normally and not to protect it as much. I'm still cautious about lifting anything heavy, though.

I'm most pleased that I can drive my manual (stick-shift) car without any problems or pain. Before the surgery, I used to feel pain when changing down from third to second gear. Now, no pain at all.
I hope to be getting an automatic car soon, but the smaller size cars I'd like are currently in short supply.

That is great! The only problem I had at first was reaching my back pocket and grabbing the coffee mug on a high shelf. :)

Yes, reaching my back pocket is still difficult. I'm still hoping for improvement there and my PT is helping me work on that.

@Celle That is wonderful that you can drive your car again in comfort! And the back pocket reach should be come doable fairly soon.

I had a physio appointment yesterday, 6 weeks after the last one.
I'd been a bit slack about doing exercises. I can always find something more interesting to do.
Plus, two of my exercises had caused pain on my shoulder blade that took 2 days to go away.

I stopped doing those exercises, as I got a bit concerned and started thinking about loosening of the cup on my shoulder blade, or (heaven forbid!) the start of an infection.

My PT (Nicola) said I had done the right thing in not continuing those exercises. Apparently, for her, "If it hurts, don't do it" applies just as much to shoulder exercises as it does to knee and hip exercises.

Nicola modified my exercises and told me that, as my shoulder recovery was already ahead of the game, we needed to take a step back and make the exercises a bit more gentle, so that I'm not asking more than my shoulder is ready to do. That's fine with me and I feel more motivated to do the exercises again.

She tested my shoulder strength and told me it has improved, in spite of my not doing all the exercises. I have been trying to use my shoulder normally now, instead of favouring it, so I guess that has helped.

I'm so glad I told my surgeon I wanted to go to Nicola, who has been very good with my husband's leg problems. She's really good, a therapist to treasure.

Yes, a good PT is worth their weight in gold! Especially if you find one that doesn't believe in having you do anything that hurts!

I'm glad you're doing so well. In addition to exercises, I think one of the biggest factors in recovery from any joint surgery is not to baby it too long. Getting active and trying to do things as normally as possible (once you're physically able) can help you strengthen those muscles.

Take care!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks