Reverse Shoulder Replacement Celle's Reverse Shoulder Replacement

I had mine sling off, til I would feel an ache, then put back on, as I figured it was telling me, stressing it too long. But had it off a lot at computer stretched out flat but supported when I could too. When out & about, I used mine as my purse. Kept my wallet & keys in it. Take it one step at a time, but sounds good.

@Celle - great news! You're doing so well. I'm also challenged in the patience dept so I know exactly what you mean about forcing yourself to go slowly. You might consider continuing to use the sling at night for a bit. It can keep you from rolling on that side or moving your arm in a way that would cause pain.

@tazzy13 tip is a good one - kind of like using a cane in crowd after knee or hip surgery.

Like @HandyWOMAN said - if you start feeling any ache or pain or just feel some weakness or trembling, put the sling on to give the muscles a break. Kind of like when weaning off the cane and use it again for a bit if it knee or hip gets tired and you start limping. Otherwise, tired muscles allow other muscles to take over and you can develop bad coping habits.

Weaning out of the sling now. I have been undoing the supporting strap - the one that goes over the opposite shoulder - but keeping my arm in the rest of the sling, to remind me not to try doing too much. That seems to be working well.

When sitting at the table for meals, I have been starting to use my left arm and it's much easier than eating one-handed. I still need my meat cut up for me.

I'm still sleeping in the recliner and, with the recliner arm and a cushion preventing my arm from going into the wrong position, I slept with the sling undone last night, which was much more comfortable.

I'm hoping to be told I can lose the sling when I see my surgeon next Monday for my 6-week appointment, even though the 6 weeks won't be up until Thursday next week.

Wow! Has it really been 5 weeks already!?! From all you've said, you're doing so well (and not pushing things too hard, which can be the hard part). Keep on being the star patient!

You seem to be doing well! Best wishes for your appointment next Monday, Celle. I hope you get the okay to ditch the sling. :fingersx:
Have a nice evening! :)

I had a good shoulder checkup today and I am allowed to ditch the sling, except for when my shoulder needs a rest.

I'm not allowed to reach out to my side at full arm's length yet, nor behind my back. Not much chance of me doing those things, because doing so still hurts.

Weight restrictions on what I can lift with my left hand - nothing heavier than a cup of coffee for 3 months and then nothing heavier than 5 Kg for the rest of my life.

They would prefer me to not drive for another week, and then only an automatic. I was hoping to start driving again sometime soon.

I saw my X-Ray and the stem of the cup goes half way down my humerus. The ball is held onto my scapula with two very long screws. It all looks good, if you like that sort of thing.

This isn't my X-Ray, but here's an example of what mine does look like:
1614566663528.png

@Celle Wonderful update! It's great that you can be mostly rid of the sling. It did take me (with the regular shoulder hardware) quite awhile to be able to lift the arm(s) out to the side and reach behind me ( still can't hook a bra behind my back but can reach the back pockets). The hardware is amazing and yet after awhile I have mostly forgotten it's there.

I'm not really aware of all that hardware in my shoulder.

It's the same with my knees. I get quite a shock when I see the X-Rays, with all that metal. They're not the original knee joints, but they work well and I'm grateful to live in an age when such surgeries are possible.

@Celle I. too, am very grateful for modern surgery and hardware! I watched my Dad and his mother both suffer from arthritis in practically every joint in their bodies. It was very sad watching them struggle when there was little that medicine could offer them at that time.

6 weeks post-op today.

I had my sling off all day yesterday. When my shoulder got tired, I sat in the recliner with my arm supported on a pillow.

I'm starting to use my left arm a little, but I'm still not giving it the full load of activity. I'll work up to that gradually and also take the advice of my physio, who I see next week for the first time post-op.

I tried sleeping back in bed last night. Since the first post-op night in hospital, I have slept in a recliner.

It didn't go very well. My shoulder and arm were comfortable, supported on a pillow, but the rest of me felt that I was lying too flat, after 6 weeks semi-reclined. I adjusted to that, but I only slept for 4 hours and then woke up with backache. I got up and made myself a cup of tea, fed the cat, and did some office work. I'll have a sleep this afternoon.

Just catching up with you, Celle. I’m glad you were able to get that shoulder taken care of. I think that will be in my not too distant future. It doesn’t seem to matter much what surgery it is, it’s slow going for a while and hard to get comfortable sometimes. At least we have a few reliable go to tools and comforts (tea and my cat are mine, too.) Sending healing blessings for good recovery. ❤️

Hi @Hip4life - It's good to hear from you.

I'm pleased with the way my shoulder is progressing, but I hope I start to sleep better soon. My cat sleeps with me and she's really enjoyed being in the recliner, on my knee. She was restless last night, too.

Our fur buddies are sure comforting during recovery. It's amazing how they sense when something is wrong with you.

I saw my physio (PT) today, for the first time since surgery.
She was pleased and surprised with my range of motion and she has given me some very gentle strengthening exercises to do.

She is very keen on me not doing anything that hurts - a real "no pain, more gain" therapist, which is great.
She also talks to me as if I'm a sensible adult and she asks me "What do you think?"

I see her again in 3 weeks' time.

I'm glad I chose to go to her - I was impressed with how much help she has been to my husband with his femoral nerve damage.

So glad you have a GREAT PT!!!!!! I like mine so much, we have become friends!! He listened to me great early on, to know I am someone who VERY much knows/listens to my body's "quirks". After a lifetime of HARD working through & with injuries. Is always asking me as he sees me getting to that struggle point, if I have "one more" in me.

@Celle YES! It sounds like you found an excellent PT. Much like the ones I saw following my shoulder replacements - gentle beginning, ease up to strengthening once healing and flexibility/ROM are more stabilized. Keep up the good work!

Your PT sounds like a blessing, Celle.
Such great news she doesn’t push you and is open to your input. Also the added benefit that she‘s helped hubs too. Win, Win!
Have a great day! :SUNsmile:
@Celle

I think I overdid things yesterday, which was just 7 weeks post-op.

I started by doing a small load of washing, which then went into the dryer.
Then I planted 12 pansy seedlings and swept the path clean.

I had a break for a couple of hours and then used the stick vacuum cleaner to whip round the house quickly. After that, I mopped the floor in the kitchen and two bathrooms.

Nothin hurt at the time, but by evening both shoulders were aching. My left shoulder is the revised one, but my right shoulder also has osteoarthritis and it will probably need replacing eventually.

I should have known better. Just because I can do something doesn't mean I should, and certainly not all on the same day.
Today, I will do less. I just want to trim my rosemary bush and then I'll start to work on a spreadsheet that needs completing to include in our tax return.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member