THR Celebrex? Pre-op?

CG'sknees

My surgeon has me taking vitamin D and protein drink for four weeks pre-op, adding, at three days prior, Tylenol 1000 x 3 daily and Celebrex 200mg 1x daily. The Celebrex has me concerned, though surgeon brushed off the concern, saying it’s the same as Advil. So why not take Advil?
Anyone else on specific pre-op meds or supplements?

Celebrex is easier on your stomach than NSAIDs like Advil, Motrin, Aleve, or ibuprofen. What about the medication has you concerned?

I’m on medications for high blood pressure (amlodipine/olmesartan medozomil aka Azor and hydochlorothorazide), and have seen online Black Box warnings about Celebrex and HBP.
I’m a nervous Nellie about most drugs, so anytime there is a special warning I am alarmed, especially if my conditions (HBP and glaucoma) are mentioned.
I’ve read that it also can lead to calcification of the arteries, which other NSAIDS do not.

Hi @CG'sknees
I'm guessing the Celebrex is for pain relief?
No over the counter products were really helping me by the time I was ready for hip replacement, so I suffered through the waiting period knowing a "cure" was around the corner.

It’s not to be started until three days before surgery, and to continue four weeks after, along with Norco and aspirin. The info says “for inflammation”. It’s all so curious to me, and as I mentioned, I am nervous about taking it. I remember when Celebrex was taken off the market in early 2000s.

I actually heard elsewhere members were told to stop Celebrex or other NSAIDs two to three days prior to surgery (bleeding concerns, I think)....so can't blame you for being confused.

I didn't have any pre-op meds or supplements. Post op it was 1 aspirin a day with a Famotidine and a Miralax chaser to prevent clots and protect my stomach and ease the go. I've never taken Celebrex so I have no experience with it.
I would consult my GP and my Pharmacist and get professional opinions.

It’s not to be started until three days before surgery, and to continue four weeks after, along with Norco and aspirin.
This is very short term treatment. However I understand your concern. How about a chat with the person treating your BP issues? I was given Celebrex just post op in the hospital and it was very effective.

After my first TKR, I was referred to a pain management doctor, as I did not have good pain control, and I was heading in for the other knee to be replaced. She started me on Celebrex 3 days prior to surgery as it needs to build up in the system to work fully. This carried over to my THR, for the left hip.

I'm now preparing for my left THR, and have these things on the list to review with the surgeon as I really do not want to deal with that horrible level of pain I had first time around.

I have autoimmune disease, so I can take acetominaphen but not ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin). The surgeon has put together a cocktail of meds that he thinks will work best for you, based on your health, history, and other medications. Ask the surgeon to explain, or even phone a pharmacist (preferably one you use, lol!) to help understand it better. Great that you are asking these questions. Because sometimes we DO catch something that needs adjusting!

Hi, thanks for the responses everyone.

I have contacted my primary, who advised probably should only take it after, and not before. The pharmacist said not to take along with the with the encased aspirin, which the surgeon has prescribed for post-op to prevent blood clots.

I texted surgeon’s medical assistant (I think just office staff guy, I don’t think he has medical training) who said the surgeon has prescribed this protocol to all his patients, to do what the surgeon says and I will be OK.

So here I am, stuck in the middle. Honestly, I wish I had a team that works together.

I took the first Celebrex an hour ago and I feel weird. I’m highly suggestible to any precautions that are listed, so I could just be crazy.

At least I did speak to hospital this morning and have my Covid and MRSA tests scheduled for tomorrow. Baby steps.

Thanks again for all paying attention to my saga.

Hello @CG'sknees
Tomorrow is your big day. I hope you’re ready to roll. Well, as ready as any of us feel before surgery. :wink: You’ll be on the healing side in no time. I look forward to following your recovery over there. See you there soon! :)

Yes, tomorrow is the day!!! I’m trying to keep on track with all the info I’ve been given. Had my Covid, MRSA, and blood typing tests yesterday at the hospital, as part of the pre-registration procedure. All went very well.
So I’m trying to be a good patient, doing what the surgeon says, taking my pills, drinking my protein drink, drinking my water, packing my bag for the overnight stay, and sending out appeals for healing thoughts to all my friends on social media.

My big concern now is the toilet. LOL. It’s the mundane things that loom large when you are not up to par. We’ve got an over- the- toilet contraption, but I find it hard to wipe (TMI?). I don’t remember it being an issue with my knee replacement surgeries, I remember we didn’t use the high riser after all. Is it different with hip surgery? I’ve noticed that ortho lobby has high chairs marked as for hip patients.
Any advice is welcome!!!

Ahhhh the dreaded raised commode, not my favorite part of recovery. I used a bedside commode which is a frame that you could place over your commode. It was adjustable for height and had sturdy arms that made it easier to sit down and get up from. Wiping is an art and an exercise all in one. Baby wipes are not just for babies.

@CG'sknees I agree with Eman85 - I did the same thing when I had my BTHR. It was comfortable and useable by others as well. I was able to borrow the commode from a Senior Service Center in my area for just a small donation to their program ... and returned it when I no longer needed it.

@CG'sknees want to wish you the best tomorrow, hoping for a smooth surgery, a nice little nap and an easy recovery.

Have to agree about the bedside commode places over the toilet, made life so much easier.

All the best for getting that hip back to happy today.
Bye bye hip pain:happydance:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks