Celebrex anyone??

Status
Not open for further replies.

cactusgarden

Just want to update you on my 6 month progress. I went to the doctor today because I ddin't want to use the dynasplint anymore. He seemed to agree with me that after 3 months it was not very effective. I mentioned to him about my pain (remember Josephine, I said that I was just taking the Vicadin to take the edge off). I started taking another vicadin during the day and what a difference it made. Well, today I told my doctor that I really did not want to be on vicadin for a long time so he suggested celebrex. He stated that a lot of his patients have had great success with the swelling (which I still have considerably) and with the pain (which I still have but it is not severe). He told me that in 2 weeks I should notice a significant improvement on both. (He didn't want to discuss what if it didn't work! Ha!) Has anyone out there tried this? It is very expensive but he gave me 2 weeks of free samples to try.
For all of you 6 months into this and not fortunate enough to be feeling great and bending like normal, my doctor told me that I looked like I was 1/2 way to recovery!!! 6 more months of this!! Patience, Laura, Patience!!! I'm still at the gym 5 days a week, have a Personal Trainer who is helping me with stretching and strengthening, and have a full time job as a preschool teacher. I can't bend - stretch - and move any more than this.
Jamie, about your pool situation (great area by the way) I painted our classroom - up and down on the ladder for 2 days. Boy did I feel it after that. But, lots of ice and elevation did the trick. And this weekend out on my patio painting again - up and down a ladder. Oh ya, that's why I am so sore today!!!!

The doctor who did my arthroscopy gave me celebrex, 200mg/day. He said that it reduces the need for narcotics. Maybe it works, I had to stop my NSAIDS, mobic & motrin last Friday in preperation for my TKR on Oct 23rd. I have to say that I am feeling very good today. So good, in fact, that I am not sure that I need the TKR! LOL :pzld: Nah, I am just a chicken who is also scared to death of the TKR.

Cactus....I take Celebrex and have very good luck with it for swelling and pain. I would recommend you give it a try. Do you have any way to get your insurance to pay at least part of the cost? It's a one-of-a-kind drug and unfortunately there is no generic that is comparable.

Footnote: Vicodin is a hydrocodone.

Just thought you'd like to know! :D

I took Celebrex in the AM and PM during my recovery. The OS put me on it right after surgery. I took it with Visteril. Worked great for me. I was on it about 5 months.

I'm giving celebrex the 2 week try. Yes, Jaime I do have insurance to cover part of the cost whatever that will be. Josephine can you explain your footnote please??????

I have been taking Celebrex for five years due to my arthritis issues in my knees, ankle, and hands. I take 200 mg once a day. I had to go off of it for the last week prior to my surgery today and I miss it. I can start taking it again on October 24th - and I will.

Good luck to you.

I've taken Celebrex 200 mg. ever since they took Bextra off the market and before that used Vioxx untill they ended that. I can sure tell an increased level of pain if I forget to take my Celebrex one day. My OS let me keep on taking Celebrex right through surgery. My previous OS said he's using Celebrex to prevent polyps and he believes the 200 mg. dose per day to be safe.

Wow, today I could not believe how good my knee felt. I'm not one to shout hoorahs because someone says a product is good. I have to try it for awhile first before I give it the heads up! However, being a preschool teacher I am up and down in those "little tiny" chairs all day or on the floor trying to get up (HaHa) and just moving around with 4 year olds. Well last night was my first celebrex pill and this morning my second and all day at school I was really able to move quite well without limping. Then after school I went to the gym to work out and felt great. I am taking 2 pills a day and can't wait to take the next one at dinner tonight!!!! Let's hope these work out great for me and this is just not a fluke. Good luck Big Red on your surgery today. I hope everything goes well.

Cactus....that's the effect they have on me too. I sometimes take one when I overdo things and usually it only takes one or two days to knock my pain for good. To me they are a miracle drug. I just didn't want to say that up front in case they didn't have that effect on you. Glad they did!!

I had some Celebrex before my surgery and it worked really well. I had some left over and was looking for them last night. Couldn't find them. Then for some reason I got on the internet, and turns out that people can get atrial fibrillation from it. I'm so glad I didn't find them since I just got out of the hospital with that!

Lots of drugs list irregular heartbeats as a POSSIBLE side effect. Beth, I have a-fib also and I take Celebrex with no problem. Remember that those side effects are a caution and something to watch for....not a given when taking the meds.

I know, hon....that experience is awful and still very fresh in your mind. You'll be more at ease with all of it with time. It took me YEARS to lose the fear that it was going to come back again. But now - 6 years after my first attack - it's pretty much gone.

You have to do what feels comfortable for YOU. Beth, you are very good at listening to your body and that's an important thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom