TKR Celebrate the little wins

I’m sorry you’ve had to go back to work sooner than your particular knee is ready. I agree with sistersinhim, see if your doctor can get you more time/restrictions. If not, try to do as little as possible when you are home. Try elevating your leg as much as possible when home, and all night while you sleep.

I’ve had the doctor write sick notes up to now but really felt I was ready to go back. Giving it another week and we’ll see after that. I work for the NHS so a law unto themselves!

I’m sorry you’ve had to go back to work sooner than your particular knee is ready. I agree with sistersinhim, see if your doctor can get you more time/restrictions. If not, try to do as little as possible when you are home. Try elevating your leg as much as possible when home, and all night while you sleep.
Yes doing all of those things. The ice and elevation help. If I sit still I’m fine it’s moving that’s the problem!!!

@babycatcher .

Hi
I am 10 weeks post op today and read your post with in interest. I am a nurse who has de-registered and was hoping to start nursing again after Christmas and New Year. Although I am no where near able to do so at the moment.

I have been watching your progress against my own.

I hope that your employer will accommodate a longer phased return as I am sure they would rather you were there part time than not at all. I read somewhere that the NHS is 40 thousand vacancies down with the pandemic.

Hope you can work something out.

Kind thoughts

Thanks for that. I hope you get back to work too.

So 23 weeks post surgery tomorrow! Back at work doing 12 1/2 hour shifts with mild pain in foot (!), knee and a bit of tightness after shift - no need to take analgesia though. Even managed 3 in a row.

My bend is still not what I was hoping for. About 100 ish degrees and unable to get down to and up from the floor. No physio any more just working on stuff at home. I apparently have tight hamstrings and this seems to be stopping me bending my knee any further. The bits I still find difficult are lifting my leg to step over something or to get out of the car. Any advice?

you mean one shift of 12.5 hours, don't you, not 12 shifts of 1/2 hour? Not trying to take the mickey, genuine question.

If so, are you on your feet for the duration? If so, my advice is simple, work less. No doubt that's not possible, in which case I suggest you're doing it right, just keep on dong hamstring stretches. In fact, gentle stretches in general.

Babycatcher,
Assume you are working 3 days 12.5 hour shifts then off a couple of days?
You are only half way through this yearlong+ recovery, your knee is still healing. These symptoms should resolve over the next 6-7 months with continued healing, icing, elevating, and gentle stretching.

Suggest you start icing and elevating when you get home, and 2-3x a day when you are off.

For stretching, you will want to do gentle stretches for your quads as well as your hamstrings.
The book Stretching by Bob Anderson is a good source for stretches.
For ROM we recommend these two gentle stretches,
Heel slides and how to do them and Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it .

you mean one shift of 12.5 hours, don't you, not 12 shifts of 1/2 hour? Not trying to take the mickey, genuine question.

If so, are you on your feet for the duration? If so, my advice is simple, work less. No doubt that's not possible, in which case I suggest you're doing it right, just keep on dong hamstring stretches. In fact, gentle stretches in general.

its three shifts that are 12 1/2 hours long on consecutive days or nights then some days off

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom