TKR Cbet’s TKR Questions

Thats awesome but I’m curious what ever ended up happening with your other knee? No updates since July 7th

I am a little concerned and hoping maybe someone can help ease my mind, I had my LTKR May 5th of this year and am now scheduled for my RTKR on Sept 22nd ....my worry is that currently when going downstairs iT feels awkward and I tend to do the double step down because going down normally feels weird to me. My flexion is still not great 95ish so now I am concerned that when I get the RTKR that stairs will be even more difficult (my house has about 15 stairs from the main floor to the second floor and about the same amount of stairs to the basement). Can anyone let me know how they made out with the surgery being 3/4/5 months between legs. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
:what:

I tend to do the double step down because going down normally feels weird to me
I had this problem as well. In fact, it wasn't until 6 months post-op that I could do it without hanging onto the banister for dear life!

We only need 85-degrees of flexion to do stairs, so if yours is at 95, that shouldn't be an issue.

In my case, I'm sure some of it was psychological. When you've been double-stepping for so long because of pain, it's hard to retrain your brains to descend reciprocally.

Keep practicing and it will come.

@R2R thanks for asking, my other knee is doing a lot better, my OS was away for my last appointment and the dr I saw thought I was doing well and gave me a follow up for May 2023 .... hoping when I go into get my RTKR my original OS is as happy with the progress .... today I noticed going downstairs one step was a breeze .... thing do gradually improve we really just need To be patient.
:)

Did you wind up having the MUA done? Tell me about the progression on your ROM from then until now

@R2R nope I didn't get the MUA .... flexion is hit and miss some days are tight but others much better .... I believe I am between 100/110 but in all honesty I have no way to calculate and I am not limited in my movement so I am thrilled with my new knee and know that time will be my friend in returning my ROM, so I am not sweating the numbers anymore.

That’s good to hear congratulations

With my upcoming surgery I am hoping to get some advice....with my LTKR in May the OS prescribed Hydromorphone 1 mg & 3 mg which made me super nauseous....so I had to stop them on day 2 or 3 (I can't remember) ....does anyone know of a prescription medicine that I could ask for that wouldn't cause me to be sick to my stomach.

With my upcoming surgery I am hoping to get some advice....with my LTKR in May the OS prescribed Hydromorphone 1 mg & 3 mg which made me super nauseous....so I had to stop them on day 2 or 3 (I can't remember) ....does anyone know of a prescription medicine that I could ask for that wouldn't cause me to be sick to my stomach.
I can‘t help with pain meds but have you taken anti nausea meds? I need the patch behind my ear and Zofran oral with any pain meds.

Marie

Hi @Cbet. I don't have a solution for you, but would urge you to bring it up with the surgeon/medical team prior to your TKR. Although I don't know the Canadian pharmacopeia, I'm sure there are good alternatives available.

I also had a problem with nausea from the pain meds during the first week or so post-op and immediately asked my surgeon's PA to make a note in my file for when we do the second knee.

Good luck!

@Cbet All the best tomorrow! See you on the other side soon!

Our thoughts and prayers are with you for a successful outcome!

Good luck tomorrow Chet. You got this!

I am on the other side .... everything went well and I came home this afternoon. Spent most of my afternoon and evening in my anti gravity chair to help with swelling .... hoping tomorrow will be as good as today but know once the block in my leg wears off I may be in some more pain. Thank you so much for the thoughts and prayers :kittykiss:

Here’s a refresher course:

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

So I am 2 1/2 weeks since my RTKR and tripped going downstairs and jarred both my knees but my newest knee, it is now totally stiff and sore. I have physio booked Wednesday so I am trying to decide if I should cancel Wednesday and just go on Friday. With my knee this stiff I don't think I could get through the exercises.

@Cbet, so sorry to hear of your trip down the stairs. What bad luck! I would just rest this week and not worry about physio.
I hope you found a good pain reliever. I took palexia with no ill effects at all. Generic name is tapentadol. All the best for a quick recovery from this setback.

Many of you have mentioned having problems going down stairs months after surgery and that part of it might be psychological. The brain plays weird tricks on us after trauma, doesn’t it.
I had a severe bout of cluster headaches which actually raised the pressure in my brain. After this, I found I couldn’t go down an escalator any more. Going up is fine. That was seven years ago and I still cannot bring myself to do it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mtcwp
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom