BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

CBD oil to reduce scarring?

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Annelie, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Annelie

Annelie new member

United States United States
    Hi,
    I'm going to have my RTKR on the 18. this month. Had my left knee done in June 2018. My question is:
    Has anybody used CBD oil to reduce the scar after TKR? The internet shows that it supposed to heal practically everything and I have seen it on the counter at places like CVS. I have never tried Marijuana and am not curious enough to try it now that it is legal in California. Maybe CBD oil is just a big hype?
    So, has anybody used it and did it actually work as advertised? Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this subject.

2. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I know nothing about CBD oil's properties, but I expect the advertising is a bit over-hyped.

I do know that the Active Scar Shield that BoneSmart promotes does a good job of healing and minimising scars.
    Check out the information about it - near the top of the page.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Annelie

Annelie new member

Thank you, Celle. You're probably right. I will look into Active Scar Shield.

4. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

We conducted two tests with teams of our members using Active Scar Shield on their wounds and a majority of the participants reported excellent results. Scar Shield is a natural healing agent (hypochlorous solution) that your body makes. The key to success with it is starting to use it as soon as possible after surgery. You may have a special dressing that your surgeon will want to remain in place for the first week or so. If that's the case, you'll have to wait a bit. If that's not the case, you can start using the Scar Shield immediately after surgery with no risk. In fact, if you read our page on Scar Shield, you'll see it is a fantastic weapon against bacteria.

You might be interested to read our article on scar management to learn how your body goes about healing the incision. It's pretty amazing. You can find it and other wound information at the WOUND CARE tab at the top of the page. I see that the link on this page to additional Scar Shield information isn't working properly, so here is the page where you can read more about hypochlorous solution and why it works so well:

https://bonesmart.org/hypochlorous-hocl-solution/?source=woundcareathome

5. Annelie

Annelie new member

Thank you for all your good information, Jamie. Tomorrow morning is my time for surgery. I'm looking forward to get it over with. Have learned so much from this forum. Thank you!!

6. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

You're very welcome. Best of luck tomorrow! You'll be on your way to getting your life back.

7. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor