PKR Catkins recovery from PKR!

What I read and what my surgeon’s office did and did not say, I expected a 2-3 month recovery, so I was very frustrated, too, even though I’m retired and didn’t have a job to return to.

In fact, my recovery has been slower than many of our members who got total replacements.

I wasn’t as young as you, I was 61, but I also haven’t had any other health issues in my life other than arthritis.

I was shocked to learn the truth when I found Bonesmart at 4 weeks post op.

That’s sometimes what we all think, that we’ll heal faster or easier due to age or lack of medical issues. But in reality every body reacts and heals differently, some faster some slower. My dad had his second TKR at 82, I was 59 when I had mine. Guess who had the easier, less painful recover...it wasn’t me.

@catkin69 , I know how you’re feeling! You just want to be better already! I feel like recovery has slowed way down since returning to work, so take that time you need. It’s frustrating, I know :console2:

@Irish471 at 10 weeks I thought I had cracked it and could see the light at the end of the tunnel but that tunnel seems to have got longer and I don’t see it!
@KarriB I guess it is just that expectation that we will bounce back quicker!
I shall keep chipping away at this recovery.
My husband filmed me walking yesterday. I was doing my ‘best walk’ and really didn’t think I was limping but it told another story!!

I shall keep chipping away at this recovery.
My husband filmed me walking yesterday. I was doing my ‘best walk’ and really didn’t think I was limping but it told another story!!
You're doing well. It's just tht you can't rush this recovery. No matter how much you want it to be over more quickly (and don't we all?) it's going to take as long as your body needs it to.

Patience is hard, I know, but you're going to get there. Time is on your side. One day, you'll be walking easily, without any limp at all, but good things take time.
Give yourself time.jpg

Your certainly not alone in your feeling that your recovery is going slow. I had a PKR first and never recovered properly from that. Then 4 months after had another surgery to try and fix the problem. Ya no that didn’t happen. Fast forward to now and I’m still trying to recover with a TKR. I’m with you, I’m 49 and thought I’d be a quick healer. Patience they keep saying.. I say wine lol. Just kidding. Crazy how everyone’s surgeries and or issues are so different. I really hope things improve for you as there is no way I could go back to work yet either. I find it’s one step forward 2 back.. hoping that changes and improves for us both soon! Xx

@catkin69 .... just checking with you to see how your recovery is going these days. We miss you on BoneSmart!

@Jamie thank you for touching base with me!
After my last post I was reviewed by my consultant and sent back to physio and advised to start taking meloxicam. The new physio was fabulous. I was given a lot of deep massage and realistic ‘exercise’ regime. I went back to work at 16 weeks post -op and things are now so much better. I am off all pain killers and coping with 3 12.5 hour shifts a week. I am back at yoga, taking the dogs out for walks and in August I climbed a little mountain. My right knee was quite happy about it all . My left IT band complained bitterly going down hill but I was so pleased! The only thing I haven’t and probably won’t attempt is running and body combat classes but I can live with that! I saw my consultant at 6 months post op. My only issue is a soft egg still on the medial aspect. He thinks it’s scar tissues. He explained it but it went a bit over my head! He wants me to carry on massaging it and will see me at 12 months. It’s not really an issue just feels weird while kneeling. I hope all the March musketeers are doing well xx

@catkin69 Hi Hi!!! Hope you’re all good. How is your knee coping with the change in temp here this month? I’ve noticed a change in my knee. It doesn’t like being cold!
I’m back at work full time and noticing a huge improvement in my quality of life. No grinding arthritic pain - still some stiffness and swelling but not bad. How is your swelling? My knee still looks ugly - like those rejected cauliflowers in Morrisons!!:heehee:

I went up Haystacks in the Lake District, within a year of my old TKR, fine going up but like you my good leg was hurting badly coming back down.
I was almost hopping on my new knee to get in the Bridge at Buttermere for a couple of pints of anaesthetic.

Did you invest in a cyrocuff?

@snoots id love to see a picture of your cauliflower I don’t really have any swelling just my little egg. Looking in a mirror my knees look fairly similar!
I’m so glad you have got your quality life back. Do you remember the early days when we never thought we would get there!!
I haven’t noticed anything with my knee and the cold but the rest of my body seems to be sulking a bit!!
I’m looking forward to holidays next year that don’t revolve around me and my knee!!

@Tykey it was cat bells that I climbed. I love it up there. Will go back up next year for more hill climbing!! And pub recovery

@Sara61 no I didn’t buy a cryocuff. I used a donjoy sleeve that came with a couple of ice packs. That worked for me though frozen peas are just as good. Just wrap a tea towel round first x

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom