THR Catirrusia's Recovery Thread<<'

Catirrusia

Country
Canada Canada
Today is my six week and went to seethe doctor because I have pain and cannot walk. Went to see the doctor and he told me he did not know why I still have pain. I had an xray and it was fine and sent me to get an ultrasound and have to see him next week.

My pain is in the groin area; I was crying like a baby. I walked a bit and got home with so much pain.

I am on my 6 weeks of post op and this morning had to see the doctor because I have pain in my groin area. I had left anterior hip replacement 6 weeks ago, went to the hospital in the morning and was home in the afternoon.

Everything was fine, till I started doing the elliptical as instructed by my doctor. I had a bit of discomfort but I though it was normal. I went again Monday and Tuesday, did half an hour with breaks and Tuesday night the pain was horrible. And did not stop. Yesterday I walked half block and got home in pain and crying.

The doctor said that he did not know why I still have pain, ordered and xray and was fine.
Had an ultrasound too, but I have to go next to look at it with him. The doctor gave pain killers again.

Any feedback?
Thank

Hello @Catirrusia- and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your hip replacement and which hip it is, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

I have moved two of your posts from other people's threads and started a recovery thread for you, so we can discuss your recovery without derailing other people's threads.

From now on, please post any questions or comments about your recovery in this thread.

I suspect that much of your pain is because you are doing too much exercise for your new hip. Hips don't need a lot of exercise post-op.

Here is the recovery reading we give to everyone with a new hip:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi, Welcome to BoneSmart and Recovery. Thanks for joining us.

I second Celle's opinion above that you are in pain due to exercise. Especially because you mentioned you were doing fine until you began engaging in the exercise (elliptical) Please stop the elliptical and any other exercise program you're following. Ice any /all areas that hurt for 40-60 mi utes, no less, each time you ice. Target several times daily. Give it a few weeks, using only walking as exercise and I'll bet it begins to ease.

Please read all of the articles, Celle, left you above. Pay Special attention to the Big Tip -
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Hopefully with rest and ice, minus exercise, you'll quickly get back to where you were before the pain began.

Stop back often with updates so we're able to support and encourage you as you continue us healing.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful weekend!
@Catirrusia

@Catirrusia
I am sorry to hear that you are in so much pain that it is making you cry. I am not an expert but it sounds like the exercise is the problem.
I had 2 hip replacements last year and never did any actual exercise for either of them. Normal day to day pottering around and just walking seem to have done the trick for me.
Whatever your problem is I hope it gets sorted quickly.

Thank you all.
My left anterior hip surgery was February the 22th.
Six weeks ago.

Hi and :welome:
Early days for you...pain in the groin and quads very normal and can get worse instead of better if pushing exercise.
Normal day to day pottering around and just walking seem to have done the trick for me
Great advice so try scaling back and baby that hip for a but to see if this helps.
Often we get alot of mixed information about recovery...but it's nice to know that the advice you receive here is from "those who know":yes:
Hope you are still icing regularly.
Great anti-inflammatory and pain reliever:ice:

Hope you have an easy does it weekend.:) :-) (:

Hello my fellow Canuck! I am so sorry you are in such dreadful pain this far out. I winced when I saw how much you are doing, especially elliptical! Please do give yourself a break and baby that hip for a while, I know it will help.
:flwrysmile:

I totally agree with everyone here. You need to cut out the exercises completely, do lots of icing and let your hip heal. My OS said no exercise needed for hips to heal well. I will admit I did go to PT a few times because initially I felt like I needed to “work on” my recovery. However after a couple visits, I could see it wasn’t helping so I never went back and I healed just fine. I now have complete range of motion and nohip pain. When you stop and think about what they did to you during surgery, you will realize your body needs some rest and time to recover with NO exercises. Just the normal walking around the house like trips to the bathroom and kitchen are all the exercise you need. Give it a try for a few weeks and see how you feel then. Wishing you well...

Yes, I am using ice a few times a day and help, but cannot walk much.
The OS sent me to do physio again as I cannot lft my operated leg.
I did physio before and now again and taking medication.
Next week have to go back to see the doctor and discuss the result of my ultrasound.
Let you know.

@Catirrusia I highly recommend you do not have any physio again and that you stop all the exercise except walking for short distances. Your hip is telling you to do this. Six weeks out is still very early days. Ice, elevate and rest.

I went to do grocery shopping with my husband and as I was walking my leg hurt so much, but the pain was coming from THR inside, from the metal. Could it be rejection of my body to the metal?

Plus my knee hurts too.
Please, feedback.
Thanks

I don't think you're hearing what everyone is saying. The muscles aren't healed and overworking them is making them mad. The only thing they can do to make you stop is give you pain. The muscles from the hip go down your thigh and end at the knee. That seems to be where their call box is to send pain.

I went to do grocery shopping with my husband and as I was walking my leg hurt so much
Continuing to try and push through any pain is only going to result in chronic pain. Stop all the exercising, rest, ice and elevate. Give it a week or two. If this doesn't ease with rest then contact your surgeon.

The pain is a sharp pain like a stubbing with a knife close to my pubic area.
I stopped doing excercises and I iced my leg yesterday all day; only walked for half hout inside the store.

I could not sleep and got up very depressed and crying.
I ice my leg every hour and rest in bed.
I had a fight with my husband as I feel, don't support from him.
I have to see the doctor tomorrow and see what the ultrasound shows.
I take medication for pain and inflamation.
Let you know.

STOP, please. You need to rest, ice and elevate. Continue icing often...for 40-60 minutes each time you ice.

Walking around in a store for 30 minutes with pain severe enough it makes you cry is not helping but only hindering the healing process. Plop yourself down on the sofa and start from square one if need be.

If your husband isn't supportive, do you have friends or family you can lean on?
For whatever reason, sometimes it's difficult for our loved ones to view us in a weakened state.
If you realize your husband is incapable of providing the emotional support you need, try not to burden him. He obviously can't relate so you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. I suggest you abstain from crying or complaining around him. Sadly, it may be turning him off for some reason. Call a friend or family member, come here for support, do whatever you have to do to avoid creating tension in the home between the two of you. The emotional stress won't help your physical pain.

Please let us know how your appointment goes tomorrow. We're here for you and we do care.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful relaxing day.
@Catirrusia

:hi: @Catirrusia
I'm sorry you've got some hiccups concerning this recovery.
The ever changing pains are disconcerting and anxiety producing...and many times temporary and results of trying g to get on with things too quickly.
rps20171117_054543.jpg

This is my favorite recovery chart.
Recovery can be far from a straight line and often we don't know where the lines are. Trial and error can cause some setbacks .but we just have to think..."nope, not yet..."
It's likely your partner hasn't a clue what or how this feels.
Just concentrate on doing what YOU need to do...likely all else will fall in place.
Healing mojo coming at you!:loveshwr:

Hi there :hi:
I hope today feels a little brighter :SUNsmile:
Please know we're here for you. Come and share...we care :yes:
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful day!
@Catirrusia

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads