THR Cassidy's hopalong recovery<

Cassidy

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'm not quite there yet, but as I don't expect to have wifi at the hospital - and I haven't graduated to a smartphone! - I thought I'd get it started so that my post-op brain won't have to think about it! Hope to see you all here in a couple of days' time!

Thinking of you! You'll do great!! I look forward to hearing an update. :)

Eagerly awaiting your update on your surgery! Hope it goes well for you!

Just found this...Already left you a post but want to make sure you know we are thinking of you.
:loveshwr:

Thinking of you today.
I'm sure you're probably out of surgery by now.
Not expecting to hear from you since you told us it may be a few days.
Here's a flower for you :flwrysmile: Hope you're resting comfortably.
@Cassidy

Following is some reading material you've most likely read.
Think of it as a refresher course. In addition....you need your formal Welcome also. :welome:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

and I haven't graduated to a smartphone!
I call mine a "smarter-than-me" phone.:giggle:

Hope your pain is being managed well, and you are on track to get home soon.
Healing hugs, @Cassidy:angel:

@Cassidy, I know you can't respond but hope you can still read the forum. I also hope that wherever you are it's not too hot and that ice is on hand for your hip. I have a very poorly finger and have my arm elevated with an ice pack wrapped round my hand!

I've noticed you in the line up....so I know you're breathing :heehee:
Hopefully you've read our well wishes. I remember you mentioned you
wouldn't be responding until Monday, or later. Can't wait to hear some details.
So happy the surgery is finally behind you, dear Cassidy. It's been a long haul.
Sending some love and a hug for today. Will look forward to your first post.
@Cassidy

Just checking in to wish you a speedy recovery so you can get home. Will be looking for your post tomorrow. :flwrysmile:

Thank you all for your best wishes. I've been trying to post from the hospital since Saturday but, despite having wifi I couldn't get onto the forum, and didn't have any joy on my Ipad either, so have had to wait until getting home, which was a few hours ago, but I've been rather surrounded since then.

The op went well on Friday, although I was later having it done than expected and was really nervous by the time my time came around. I was sitting on my own in pre op for three hours or so, so had time to imagine all the worst case scenarios, but when it happened it was as everybody had said - the anaesthetist, nurses, etc., were all extremely nice and once I'd had the spinal, which wasn't dreadful, I was surprised to wake up post op.

As it was lateish I was wheeled back into my room and not allowed to get out of bed, so the first night consisted of bedpan alley - complete with one that leaked, which was rather unnecessary! - until morning, when the physios and OT came round to get me started on mobility. I must admit that I felt as though I'd been kicked in the backside by a mule, but to be expected, but the acid reflux caused by the painkillers, laxatives, antibiotics, etc., etc., has been worse than the actual pain.

As everybody else has already said, sleeping on the back is a challenge which I have yet to win, coupled with the fact that the UK is in the middle of a heatwave, so sleep has been very elusive. I haven't actually been napping much in the day either, but I'm sure it will catch up with me.

Yesterday I progressed from a frame to two sticks, and I'm now hobbling very carefully with the help of one stick. I came home after lunch, (I had to stay an extra night because I hadn't opened my bowels, which is apparently an NHS pre-requisite, although I'd emptied them so much on Friday morning through fear that I don't honestly think there was anything to empty to that point!), and my offspring have been round to check on me and tell me the rules, which I'll try to keep. I'm not going to have PT outside of what the hospital gave me, which are really more stretching exercises and gentle walking, so quite reasonable, as the PT said they only really refer people who are struggling and she thought I'd probably already be too good (a rare word of praise for me - too good for something!!!).

I've got an assortment of paracetamol and codeine, although as I said they all make me feel nauseous, so I'll only take what I need - I'm keeping ahead of any great discomfort so far, but I know things can change, having read all you good people's experiences. Fingers crossed, though, that with gentle treatment and a prevailing wind I may be able to plod along as I'm doing. My two main worries now are dislocation and infection - particularly infection due to my past experience - but I must trust the doctors to have given me enough precautionary antibiotic to prevent any immediate infection, and that I'll be careful enough not to dislocate it now I've got it.

I think my approach was lateral, and the joint itself was titanium and ceramic, for anybody who might be interested!

Anyway, I hope any recent Smarties are thriving, and any upcoming Smarties aren't too nervous, because so far I've survived and I'm no heroine when it comes to pain or horrible experiences. Very selfishly I just hope all continues to progress as well as it's started.
End of the ramblings for today and I look forward to catching up on everybody else tomorrow. :thankyou:

Yay Cassidy. Was so happy to see your post and know you are home.
I know it's hard not to be anxious about any potential complications...but it sounds like all in all you are doing spectacularly!
Healing hugs!:loveshwr:

Wow Cassidy you sound to be doing really well.....bet you're glad to be back home and the privacy of your own loo! I hope you've managed to sort the reflux, that's a miserable thing to have. Hope you're making the icepacks your constant companions....that probably won't be hard with the temps you're having at the moment! :SUNsmile: You said you've gone from 2 crutches to one.....that sounds awfully early to be on minimum support....please make sure that you've got a proper (heel-toe) gait so that you don't get into a pattern of limping, and also you might find that your balance is a bit off for a while so make sure you're not at risk of a fall.

Hope you're managing to get some sleep day/night, bed/wherever.....you'll appreciate it so much when you can eventually sleep how you like and for as long as you like! :happydance::yes!::yay:

Yay, Cassidy! Home and down to one stick already?
What's a stick? That always makes me laugh:rotfl:
Is it a cane, or a crutch? :heehee:
I've always wanted to ask someone....so you're the winner!

I'm so sorry you were in pre-op all alone for three hours, imagining the worst. It's sad to read that.
I'm happy you're home now and doing well. Try not to worry about infection and dislocation.
They take every precaution in an effort to reduce the chances of infection and you'll take every precaution
not to suffer a dislocation. All will be good!

Thanks for updating. It was so nice to hear from you. I hope you have a peaceful week!
@Cassidy

I really Agree with Anny about re-educating your gait whilst using crutches.. At first I thought they were for support then realised what walking so deliberately was about re-aligning the skeletal structures. Something I need. Of course everyone is different, maybe your gait hasn’t deteriorated but you do mention hobbling and limited physio.. be careful @Cassidy

So sorry not to have been back sooner, but I can't find how to reply on my Ipad. I was managing fine until I went into hospital, but since then the little reply box has disappeared!

I am being really careful @anny and @Apricot. I keep asking my family to comment on my gait, and I use two sticks (yes, @Layla, we really do call them sticks, from walking sticks - cane to me sounds like candy cane, and just as strange as stick sounds to you! Isn't it funny how we can speak essentially the same language, but with so many differences?! I keep reading about grits, which to me are little bit of gravel that I find on the road, or that we spread in winter to stop the road freezing over.)

I've got another worry now, @Mojo333, because my daughter changed my TEDS for me this evening, and where they've chafed way up near my crotch they were bleeding a bit, and she said wouldn't it be ironic if you do all that and get the infection via your compression stockings which, of course, started me worrying again, especially as I thought about weeing on it during the first night. I hope all the antibiotics will kill any baddies, as they're certainly killing me! I feel really bloated and nauseous, but small price to pay if I can avoid all my previous problems.

Apart from that the sleeping (or not) is the main problem. I got around 4 hours last night and haven't had the urge to doze today. I'm hoping I might get a bit more tonight. I don't know if it's a bit down to the drugs or a bit of post-op trauma, as I seem to wake up with a really sudden jump. I'm sure everybody else is familiar with the problem.

I'm doing a bit of toe wiggling and stretching, and some moderate walking around the house, but am still doing the stairs one at a time, good up, bad down, so I'm trying to follow all the rules and be a good girl!

At least with this constant horrible chemical taste and nausea (antibiotics most likely, but could be blood thinner, codeine or stool softener - who knows what all those chemicals add up to inside?!), I'm not being tempted to overeat, although I'd be really curious to know if the implant affects the weight in itself.

Anyway, I continue to read all my accomplices' updates keenly, and cheer on/commiserate where appropriate, even though I can't actually comment as easily as I used to be able to. Once I've got the strength I'll see if I can sort it out. At the moment relatively simple mental processes do seem very arduous.

So it's goodnight from me, wherever you all are (I find it fascinating that we're all so far flung, yet share one common interest, whether it involves sticks, potties, NHS, private insurance or whatever else you like to call them in your part of the world), and here's to a healthy, happy tomorrow (gosh, isn't the girl waxing lyrical - must be some of those party pills that @dogchick's been on!)

Maybe you could have shorter teds. Knee highs are common.ask.
Sounds as if you are doing really well especially with all those drugs inside you. let your body tell you what to eat for at least a week or two. I’ve been a very enthusiastic eater recently. My info pack had some leaflets on blood loss in surgery and the need to replenish resources so that tissues could heal. You take care now. The long night is ahead..

Man, those stockings must be tight...and they are full length?
Mine were just knee highs.
So sorry, but yeah...the first ten days were just "getting over it all" time.
When do you go back for check?
Maybe you can ditch those horrid TEDS!
I am happy you sound actually pretty calm and very lucid...compared to my first week:cry:
I was hating on my OS for the first week, and told him that he purposely scheduled my pre-op for ten days or so I wouldn't curse him:)
He definitely turned from goat to hero.
He gave me back my life.
Temporary! Just remember!
Healing hugs coming your way @Cassidy :friends:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Hip4life
    Staff member since January 6, 2022
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023