Bilateral TKR Carol's Recovery<

She will try to push you and demean you until you have "the talk" with her.

None of us need aggressive therapists after such a big surgery. Especially bilateral.
Hope you feel a bit better today!

She asked me if i wanted to come there and make up my own program. ???
Yes, you can and you can do it at home at your own pace. You do not have to tolerate that kind of abuse! It makes me so angry when I read something like what you just went through.

i wish she would hand me on to someone else.
Ill just have to suck it up and stand my ground.
Who is the employee, your therapist. Who is the employer, you are! What you say goes. They work for you, not the other way around. I would refuse to have that same PT again. Who cares if everybody hears you? She didn't care that everybody heard her! Don't ever put up with that kind of treatment. You are so much better off just doing your daily activities at home without any PT at all. They are PT!

Nice to know that everyone has my back.
Thank you all.
Will see how monday goes!
Xo for all!!

Hello 8 weeks today!
Still having good days and bad days, but bad days use to be my good days:thumb:
I tend to try harder on good days which invariably catches up with me.
Rehab today. PT was well behaved , got to smile, she had a student today.
I told her id done step after step for 17 steps yesterday. "Good!" And ive been practicing sit to stand but on cushions still.
Of course she still had me try from a seat...higher this time, ha fancy that. I nearly made it...so close just used the heel of my palms a bit. "Good!" Funny how a little praise works.
About my stairs, my brain still blocks but at least i can actually do it. I do need rail and stick.:good-bad:
More icing this afternoon.
May all your rehab be positive.
Carol

9 weeks tomorrow!
Its great to see improvement every week.
I did sit to stand from my car yesterday, perhaps I'll nail it at rehab tomorrow.
My PT noted that my right leg was notably weeker than my left, i hope it catches up real soon.
Im cooking more meals now but still looking for quick options!
Stairs are still a problem. Still using a stick in public. Still having trouble sleeping. Still evevating often, and icing but maybe only once or twice a day. Oh and ive develooed neuropathy in my feet!!
I think im having more pain in my legs because I'm doing more.
My GP put things into perspective this week. He told it like this "you've had 4 broken bones. If you had just broken your femur it would taken 12 weeks to recover, AND you have 2 of those ,plus you have 2 broken tibias. Just take small steps!"
We are all impatient to recover...i want it yesterday! I guess tomorrow will just have to do!!

I forgot to mention I went to gym this week to do upper body. And to the school to help out.
It was great to be out and about doing normal things again.

Please change my thread to Carols recovery.!

I am worried about reporting her. Everyone would know.
I think she might be in charge of the outpatient clients but i wish she would hand me on to someone else.
Ill just have to suck it up and stand my ground.

If she verbally abuses you again, or in any other way, like force bending your knee to show she’s in charge, tell her you will not tolerate that kind of treatment and that you are going to go somewhere else and walk out. Taking your business elsewhere will be the best way to go. Unfortunately, if they are that busy they won’t miss your income much, but you’ll do better somewhere else, even at home on your own.

PT is truly not essential and especially the “therapy” she is offering you is doing more harm than good, both physically and emotionally.
Jockette is right.

These are your knees and you are the only person who has the right to say what happens to them. You are in charge - not your PT therapist, not your surgeon, not your family and friends.

You have the right to say what will be done to your knees and what you will do with them.
You have the right to say what you will, and will not, do at rehab. PT have to accept and respect your wishes.
Do not put up with being abused, either physically or verbally.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
CONSENT: what it means and how it can be used

@CAB So sorry to read about the bully therapist. I’m almost on my 9th week and I can’t get up without using my arms. I honestly can’t remember the last time I just got up with out my arms. And really! She said do you want to make your own program! Unbelievable!:blackcloud:After being injured during my 4th week of PT, which set me back almost 2weeks, I never went back. I am happy with my progress without them. Please don’t let them make you feel bad. It just sickens me that you were treated like that. There is no excuse to be talked to in that manner. A little compassion should be mandatory in health care professionals. We are healing...emotionally and physically...and we will heal when the body is ready. Don’t do anything you’re not ready to do.

Hope you’re doing well today.

Im feeling pretty good today. Went for a walk along Manly beach with the thousands of people yesterday. This was my favourite walk before knees stopped me! So looking forward to being able to walk from Queenscliff to Shelly beach its so heautiful and refreshing. Google it!! (NSW Australia)

I just noticed we have the same surgery date. I’m sure I knew that before but me brain is fuzzy! Hahah. I wasn’t brave enough to do the bilateral. So we both know I’ll be doing lefty ....one day! Walking on the beach feels fabulous! You are a super star! :loveshwr:

• Friendly
Reactions: CAB
Very early in my recovery I couldn’t imagine how people do both the same time.

Now that I know how hard this recovery is, I don’t know how people go back and do the other one and do the long recovery again!

If I needed both done and a surgeon agreed to do them both, I think that’s great.

I may have inadvertantly suggested that i walked on the sand @flsungirl ...not yet. But i did walk around the path.
@Jockette i did think "well im never going to recover from this twice"
Ive looked at people recovering while i am, early on i use to think im never going to be able to do that...and now i do. I also watch those with one knee done and they think they are in big pain, gee im happy i dont have to do that twice. I have had pain but its not so bad. Ive cried buckets of tears but never from pain. Im strong i say! But ive burst into tears when someone says how are you going!!! Haha thankfully that time past a while ago...blame the drugs.
Heal well everyone!

@CAB thats still a great accomplishment!

I also have cried buckets, sometimes good long bouts. This recovery is tough. Until I found Bonesmart I thought something was wrong with me. I’ve never been a cry baby. It was just so heavy and I felt so hopeless. I am glad that’s gone too. Knowing that other people have experienced this was such a comfort and that these episodes can be part of recovery.

I still think you’re super amazing! Can’t wait to read in the future about your walk on the beach!

I’m a little confused (blonde senior moments aside LOL).
Did you actually walk in the sand?
I’m curious because that’s a goal for me.

Hi @flsungirl haha i just wrote up a big reply to you on your page, and here you are on mine...the emocons got stuck in my wrting to you and it all dissapeared :( weird tho cause it usually saves. Must have been a glitch. Ill get back to it later.
I shopped yesterday and bought new sketchers sneekers...really soft spongy ones i love them!. My foot has been aching like a nerve thing such a pest, doesn't let me get to sleep...boy there are some weird side effects to be had after this surgery! I Rolled my back last night and my legs this morning. Im still lying down but atm my foot feels ok.

@beachy nope i didnt walk on the sand. There is a very long pathway walk from queenscliff beach to shelly beach. It a beautiful walk. A bit far for me yet. Our sand is really beautiful but very soft, sooo it is really unlikely that ill ever do that walk on the sand. We live opposite Narrabeen Beach, I'd like to be able to walk down there just to sit on the sand at my beach...haven't really enjoyed that since ive lived here (nearly 6 years) haha ill need to be able to get up first!
Further north we have beaches where the sand is hard. I love to walk there. Perhaps next Easter!

@CAB skechers are the best! I have 3 pairs with the cushion soles. I think my navy ones will have to be replaced because I wore them the most prior to surgery and I walk differently now. I’m hoping the gray and the white ones aren’t molded too much to my old way of walking.

I hated the foot thing! It stopped me from sleeping because nothin could touch it, not even a sheet. That’s gone but my feet are still freezing all the Time! Such weirdness after surgery!

Rainy day in Florida today so I’ve been watching movies and taking it easy. Hope your doing well!

Melanie

Gee a cup of coffee fixes everything...nearly!
Went to rehab with only 2 paracetamol under my belt. Came home feeling quite sick.
Feet up, icing, cup of coffee and not 1 but 2 slices of fresh raisin bread.! All fixed:egypdance:

10 weeks yesterday.
Had a couple of ordinary days this week. Sleepless nights making life a bit difficult.:bored:
Seeing GP today to sort some pain relief for difficult days.
On a positive note, ROM L 135 R 133.
Muscles in quads still a bit weakish but managed to sit to stand at our dinning table last week. PT dont ask me to do it any more. Maybe someone told them how i was feeling, about that particular excercise:heehee:
Block re steps is improving but not great yet.
I can step L over R going up and also going down...a lot of effort tho. I need to still use a stick while going down...still a bit nervous.

Last edited:
You're doing great! Sit to stand gets easier and will eventually be effortless, as will the stairs. I think PT tends to push the sit to stand exercise too soon for us bilaterals. Two quads needing to re-train deserve some slack. I used my cane going downstairs for almost three months. Yeah, going down made me nervous too!

Oh, and the sleepless nights should start to resolve soon too. :sleep:

Reactions: CAB

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nosila
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom