Bilateral TKR Carol's Recovery<

I had a bleed into one of my knees at six weeks, just when I was making excellent progress...this happened four times within a week....back on crutches, and unable to put any weight on it...
Just rest up, and slowly increase activities....I take Panadol Osteo x 3 daily. Plus Mobic 7.5mg x2 daily....I was told taking more Panadol is a strain on kidneys! It is now 8 1/2 weeks and am back on track. Good luck fellow Aussie.

Reactions: CAB
Oh okay @Josephine Apparently iI have misunderstood. Thank you.
I thought that the pan oesteo was slow release and therefore good to take. I'll do the other.
Said while elevating with ice attached to worse knee. Just about to watch the baseball.

@79newknees cheers to the Aussies!
Oh I'm so glad (but not happy for you) that someone else has had a couple of mishaps.
I was so angry when iI went to bed last night but it is making me very cautious today.
That fall last night happened soooo easily, I couldn't believe it. I seem to be barely affected this am. Yes a bit sore but could have been so much worse!

No, the apologies are all mine, @CAB I'm just a Brit and we don't use that med in the UK! We do have Panadol but not the osteo and ours is just plain paracetamol! My apologies.

However, even so, the slow release isn't as good as it doesn't give you the overall level of the drug in your system like the standard stuff. Slow release, or sustained release, only gives a very small dose over the 10hour (or whatever) period which isn't sufficient for the pain management of a TKR. Standard types give you a higher minute by minute dosing. And I checked this with the BNF (British National Formulary) this time!

However, even so, the slow release isn't as good as it doesn't give you the overall level of the drug in your system like the standard stuff.
My Tylenol is extra strength 500 mg and says it’s “rapid release”. Are these also as insufficient as slow release, as compared to standard?

Ok sorted with paracetamol.
After my fall the other night. It has rocked my confidence a bit. I still have shooting pain through my quads if i move the wrong way.
Making me cautious with every move.
I sure hope this passes quickly.

My Tylenol is extra strength 500 mg and says it’s “rapid release”. Are these also as insufficient as slow release, as compared to standard?
Didn't even know there was such a thing! :shrug: Must be a US speciality!

Didn't even know there was such a thing! :shrug: Must be a US speciality!

Yep. I used the same "rapid release" 500s for a little while. None of the tylenol-ish stuff (regardless of release type) seemed to do much for me though.

Se have the so-called "rapid release" Panadol here in NZ. The only difference is that it has a slightly different coating, so that it is absorbed more quickly from the stomach. It is OK to use it in place of the ordinary 500 mg tablets.

I found Panadol Osteo 1000mgm x 3 daily excellent, and Mobic 7.5 mg x2 daily a good mix. I gave up the hydro morph at about three weeks, and even then had some withdrawals symptoms....so glad to not have the foggy head! Everyone different though, and everyone has different reactions!

This is interesting @Josephine, as in Australia Panadol Osteo is marketed as a part quick release and part longer lasting paracetamol - advertised 8 hours (doesn't work for me!) hence the higher dose but only three times a day.
@CAB I'm wondering if it is worth trying the 4 doses of regular panadol instead for my OA???

Gee @Jacimarble I really wouldn't know.
Ages ago my Dr told me to take 2 pan oesteo x 3 times a day...if I was in pain I did 3 doses plus 1 Mobic. If not so bad what ever I remembered.

Mobic did work a treat for me and I could get some nearly pain free days. However I believe the Mobic is bad for kidneys etc. I'd hate to think what they are like ATM with all the drugs I've been taking. I stayed on 100s of Palexia a bit longer due to falls etc. Am on 50s today and plan to be off very soon...all going well.

6 weeks today! Where did that time go?
Im Slowly able to move my right leg up and onto the bed, lounge and elevation again after my fall. So hopefully on the right track again now. (Thank goodness that me left has been recoerving nicely, I've been so reliant on it.)
Ive been a bit worried about my right knee "giving up" sometimes. I'm hoping this is to do with strength.
Im a little less stiff and crampy feeling in the mornings and during the night, but it is still bothersome. Im finding icing helps most of the time.
How wonderful is it that we can actually walk after being cut off at the knees?!

Hi @CAB, the "pain"Dr at the hospital told me, when I told him I was taking Panadol Osteo 4 times a day," oh three times is recommended, but you might be O K with that!" So I now take it 3 times a day.....actually at 9 weeks I mostly forget the midday dose! I was taking Mobic twice a day, but have cut it down to once a day, as I think it can cause a bit of fluid retention! So far so good!

Oh @79newknees
im glad you've cut down to 3x pan osteo. Thats heaps. I missed my midday today too, but i could have used it by mid afternoon.

Im still on palexia 50sr x2 daily morning and night. I took a half palexia IR 50 for rehab today. I hope to cut it in a few days.

Plus i have 7.5 mobic x 1 daily. What strength are you taking?

Annd I also take 75mg lyrica as they found slight nerve pressure in my back, At S1.

Im still getting tightness and pressure around my knees.

I had a rather bad knee collapse while stepping up with right leg, and now find myself really scared to take that step up on any height step!
Has anyone else had this? Im hoping my paranoia will pass soon.

@CAB well I tried cutting down the Mobic 7.5 mg. to once a day, but have gone back to 2x day....too much stiffness and pain!
I had a bleed in my best knee and was back on crutches for a week, unable to put any weight on that leg at all, so depressing, however am now back on track, though I haven't ventured back onto the bike, as that is when it happened, so understand your angst! It seems a very Zig zag recovery! I think the wisest thing is to not overdo things! :bolt:

When did you cut your serious drugs.
I needed a breakthrough last night. A bit annoying!

Hi @CAB - not sure if this is your issue or not but the quad in my TKR last year was very slow to respond and I often experienced what I called “the wobble” where it seemed to give why. It seemed to happen more often when my leg was tired. I used a cane for several months when walking longer distances to prevent a fall as a result of “the wobble.”

Yes @kmak81230 your writing is similar to me. Although im not sure its slow to mend...

I had a knee collapse whist attempting a step that was a little higher than normal.
Now I have a mental block with steps with my right leg!. Sure hope that passes soon.

And i also had a fall 2 days later due balance.

Poor quad i think ive given it a hard time!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back