TKR Carole’s recovery thread

Carole4815

graduate
Country
United States United States
I had my TKR today, just a little while ago. So far, not much pain although I imagine that will change at some point.. I did not need to stay in the recovery room long before being taken to a regular hospital room. Then, PT had me walking up and down the hall just a couple of hours after surgery. It wasn’t bad at all! They had a guy holding a chair right behind me in case I needed to sit but I didn’t. Sitting here in bed, no pain. No nausea either. The hospital lunch was delicious. I ate the gumbo but left the potato salad.

THE KNEE WORKS! Sorry to shout but I just had to say that. :egypdance::yay::flwrysmile::happydance:

An awesome start! :happydance:

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Welcome to the club! Hope you have an quick and easy recovery.

Super! Onward to let the healing begin. :flwrysmile:

Yay, congrats! I'm happy that you made it through okay. I've been thinking about you.
No offense, but I would have eaten the potato salad and left the gumbo. lol I don't do spicy.

Sounds like an excellent start! So happy the first day has gone well! Keep us updated!

Congratulations! Best of luck with your recovery.

Regards,
Chemist

It sounds like you're having a really good start! Be careful and don't overdo.

On a scale of 1-10, my pain rose to about a 5 tonight. In the spirit of keeping ahead of the pain, I called the nurse and asked for more pain medication. She gave me two hydrocodones, which seems to be adequate (at least right now).

:yahoo::yay::happydance::flwrysmile::yes!: Congratulations on your new baby! Sounds like you're off to a great recovery. Just remember to take your meds on a regular schedule in order to stay ahead of the pain, don't do any painful PT and ice and elevate often and long, along with gradually increasing your ADLs. Good luck and keep us posted as you recover.

Today my BP is low, my blood sugar is high, and I am feeling slightly woozy. But, I still walked 150 feet (with a walker), which is the distance mentioned as desirable for release from the hospital. The surgeon shot some pain meds into my knee during surgery, and he says that will probably be wearing off today.

My blood pressure was low the day after surgery, also. My PT ended my session because he was concerned.

The surgeon shot some pain meds into my knee during surgery, and he says that will probably be wearing off today.

My surgeon did the same thing, and day 3 was by far the worst day for me, but that was the only "bad" day, and truthfully, it wasn't even that bad. Just more pain than I had on days 1 and 2. Keep it up, sounds like you are doing great!

I came home from the hospital yesterday, got a good night's sleep, and feel like a million bucks. So far, hydrocodone with acetominophin is keeping my pain level down to a 0-1 when I am sitting. So, I figure the shots in the knee when I was under a general anesthesia, haven't worn off year. When walking, my pain is more like a 2-3 but I do get tired before walking very far (today).

So far today, I walked to the bathroom twice for the first time since coming home (used the portable commode overnight so that I could get back in my recliner and sleep ASAP). I also got frozen water bottles and started my ice machine, and took a handful of trash to the kitchen wastebasket on a separate trip. PT is coming this afternoon.

Last edited:
My blood pressure was low the day after surgery, also. My PT ended my session because he was concerned.
My primary care physician stopped in at the hospital to see me, twice! He cut my BP meds in half, and prescribed one single dose of insulin in the hospital (since my blood sugar was up, too). Today I feel like a million bucks. Oh,I said that already! :snork: Anyway, no more woozy feeling. :yay:

My surgeon did the same thing, and day 3 was by far the worst day for me, but that was the only "bad" day, and truthfully, it wasn't even that bad. Just more pain than I had on days 1 and 2. Keep it up, sounds like you are doing great!
OK!! Day three is tomorrow (the 16th), I guess, since my surgery was at 9 AM on the 13th. I am doing great with the hydrocodone/acetominophen which totally amazes me. I had already made up my mind to take more pain meds than I thought I needed, not less, and to stay ahead of the pain so I'm not just being brave or anything like that.

Wow! You are doing great Carole! So glad things are better for you and continue to be so. Keep the positive attitude and say goodbye to the pre-surgery pain in that knee!!

Hey Carole! It's good to be home, isn't it? Now you get to eat all those meals you prepared and froze. I've been praying that things would go well for you.

I got my hair cut yesterday, and the bed is set up. That thing is heavy!

Today is my granddaughter's birthday. She's 3 today. We had cupcakes at lunch. Hers had a candle. My other granddaughter, that I homeschool, has one more day of first grade, We won't start second until sometime in September.

How are you sleeping? Do you sleep in your lift chair? Are you elevating your leg? After your nerve block wears off, take your meds by the clock. Set an alarm on your phone or use an app. You don't want to wake up and be in pain and have to catch up.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MrsFeinbe
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom