TKR Carol68's Recovery

Good luck Carol. I do feel for you going through this extra problem. Let us all know how you get on.
Here is a cat for no reason except it might make you smile on this unpleasant day.
:kitty:

Hi
hope all goes well. I am 4 weeks post op on my second total
knee. It has been hard going but is feeling stronger now with less pain.
I really hope all goes well for you today at Guys

Hi @Carol68
I hope you received good news from your doctor visit today.
Try either Dulcoease ( stool softener and more gentle) or Dulcolax ( a bit stronger!) - both available over the counter in UK. Have used both and they do help for constipation.
I experienced the same constpation (as I am sure most of us have). I used the Ducolax first and once it worked, I added the Dulcoease twice a day (I tried once a day and had to go back to the Ducolax). Once I got off of the Dalautin I went back to once a day and now have stopped it completely.

Hello everyone.
I’m new to this group and I’m so glad I found you.
I’m losing my mind.
I had TKR 5 and half weeks ago and I underestimated this surgery massively!
I have nausea daily, I’m struggling to sleep, I have no appetite, I’ve lost 10lbs (very much needed as I’ve put on 2 stone due to both knees being painful) and I’m constipated due to co-codamol.
To top it off I now have a suture abscess.
I saw my consultant today at Guys Hospital. He is amazing but concerned. He wants to see me again Monday and Thursday.
Infection started a week ago. I’ve been on antibiotics for 3 days. It’s extremely sore and stinging.
God it’s just one big party!
My physio quite reluctantly told me ‘the first 8 weeks are pretty rough’ and oh boy he’s not wrong!
Of course we’re all very different and we recover at different rates.
I need the left knee done too……I’m scared!
Wishing you all lots of luck in your recovery x
So sorry Carol68.. I am at 7 weeks. I used colace everyday to prevent comstipation. Still using it. Plus eat fruit twice a day… your suture line infection is better than a knee infection. Glad you saw the doc as soon as you did… my surgeon used glue and no one touched the dressing until he did removed it at 2 weeks, to help prevent infection. I am using Ad ointment on the scar 2 times a day to keep the scar tissue at bay. So far it looks fantastic. The pain not so much… it’s an ongoing battle… so many stories here. And good advice from the admins also. Read all the info they gave you from becoming a member…I go back and see things that make sense. Such as being pushed too far too soon… sleep is nasty, it affects your frame of mind… I wake up every hour. But where I am now is so much farther than the first day I came home from the hospital… and so many have gotten through this, it takes far too much time than we expected it to… I have struggled and still am, but every hill I seem to get through…..I take my med and turn in music to help when I am down. Find what helps.. your infection will clear… a little at a time.. ❤️

sleep is nasty, it affects your frame of mind… I wake up every hour. But where I am now is so much farther than the first day I came home from the hospital…
I am 7 weeks PO same as you. I too struggle still with sleep. Last night I woke every couple of hours (maybe) but the two days before I got 5-6 hours straight and I was a happy camper. hang in there!

Not the outcome I was hoping for.
Still weeping and red.
I had to have a blood test to see if the infection has spread deeper internally.
Consultant said if the levels are high they may have to open the scar and cut away the infected area.
I’ve got to go back AGAIN next Friday.
He’s given me more antibiotics.
Knee feels very achy and tight.
Feeling very sorry for myself this evening, but tomorrow is a brand new day :flwrysmile:

Oh @Carol68, I'm so sorry to read this. You have every right to feel down right now.

Sending up prayers that the antibiotics are working and that you get good blood work results. :console2:

So sorry Carol68.. I am at 7 weeks. I used colace everyday to prevent comstipation. Still using it. Plus eat fruit twice a day… your suture line infection is better than a knee infection. Glad you saw the doc as soon as you did… my surgeon used glue and no one touched the dressing until he did removed it at 2 weeks, to help prevent infection. I am using Ad ointment on the scar 2 times a day to keep the scar tissue at bay. So far it looks fantastic. The pain not so much… it’s an ongoing battle… so many stories here. And good advice from the admins also. Read all the info they gave you from becoming a member…I go back and see things that make sense. Such as being pushed too far too soon… sleep is nasty, it affects your frame of mind… I wake up every hour. But where I am now is so much farther than the first day I came home from the hospital… and so many have gotten through this, it takes far too much time than we expected it to… I have struggled and still am, but every hill I seem to get through…..I take my med and turn in music to help when I am down. Find what helps.. your infection will clear… a little at a time.. ❤️
Hey Dawn

Thank you for your message.
I agree things are much better than week 1.
I started to feel better around week 5-6 and then had this set back.
I’ve just posted about my appointment today at Guys.
Not what I was hoping for.
Fingers crossed the bloods come back ok and another round of antibiotics will do the trick.
Can’t even get drunk! Lol

Feeling very sorry for myself this evening, but tomorrow is a brand new day
You have every right to feel sorry for yourself. It is a real worry and I really hope it is just a superficial infection.
The antibiotics also make you feel rough.
I have just finished 3 weeks worth of antibiotics ( one week IV and 2 weeks oral) for strep A septicaemia- but thankfully it didn't spread to my knee. But the diarrhoea/ thrush etc really don't help the mood. Hopefully once they get a culture and hit it with exactly the right antibiotics it will be OK. Thinking of you.

Gosh it sounds like you’re really going through it too. So sorry to hear you’ve been poorly.
It really does make you feel miserable doesn’t it. It’s draining.
Brighter days are ahead for all of us.
So lovely to have people to talk to who really understand.
I’ve got a partner, lots of family and good friends, but I don’t think they really know what I’m going through.
My sister and my son both actually said to me on week 3 or 4 ‘Oh I thought you’d be feeling better by now’……I wanted to scream!
I ended up doubting myself thinking ‘am I making this out to be worse than what it is’.
I now know I wasn’t.
Gotta take it a day at a time.
I’m all dosed up now for the night.
Let’s see what tonight brings :sleep:
Goodnight

My sister and my son both actually said to me on week 3 or 4 ‘Oh I thought you’d be feeling better by now’……I wanted to scream!
I have friends like this too!
In a funny sort of way, being really ill recently has helped, because people have reset their expectations.
This really is a marathon not a sprint.
It's great here to talk to people who understand. Have a look at @JusticeRider for instance. She has had ups and downs but now at 7 months is back riding her horse! It does get better but slower than most folk ( even surgeons) realise.

@Carol168 - Very sorry to hear about this horrible set back. Hope the ABs kick in and that the blood results come back ok and your don’t need anything further done. This site is very supportive and it has really helped me to hear from people in the same position, I hope that is helping you as well. Best wishes.

Carol, I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this! This must be really scary for you. Praying that your infection is superficial and the antibiotics will get you cleared right up! Hang in there and if you need to vent, we are here.

@EalingGran thanks for the shoutout! It is true I had some very low times, especially from 4 weeks up to 4 months. One thing that made it worse was this:
said to me on week 3 or 4 ‘Oh I thought you’d be feeling better by now’……I wanted to scream!
I had friends say things like that too, and it absolutely crushed me. I don’t think people realize the impact of their words when they say things like that to someone who is really struggling.

It’s hard for friends and family to understand it seems. Only people who have gone through it can really grasp how hard it is.

It’s hard for friends and family to understand it seems. Only people who have gone through it can really grasp how hard it is.
To be fair to these people, they see the same misleading advertisements and stories about quick recoveries that we all have as well. Virtually everyone here on Bonesmart was surprised by how long the recovery would be, and most of us had extensive previous experience with knee issues of one kind or another, so it shouldn't be surprising that your friends and family, without the benefit of your experience, think it should be no big deal.

Hello you lovely lot x
Great news today.
I went to Guys again to see my lovely consultant.
The infection has finally gone in my scar.
Two little scabs remain, so he’s still a little cautious incase they open up again.
He’s given me some waterproof dressings to use when I shower and told me to keep them dry, until scabs fall off naturally.
He wants to see me in two months.
No more weekly trips up London :)
I woke up today feeling so much better.
I’m 8 weeks 3 days post op and I can honestly say this is the first day I’ve felt like this.
For all you people in the early stages of recovery it DOES get better.
My physio told me the first 8 weeks are rough and he wasn’t wrong, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
I still have a long way to go of course, but I’m feeling more like my old self.
I’m now sleeping better and not feeling that awful nauseous sensation every day.
Gotta pluck up the courage to have the left knee done when I’m fully recovered.
They say it’s like having a baby…..you soon forget (and I have 5 :loveshwr:)
Wishing you all well and a very speedy recovery.
Much love

Carol x

Hi there Carol,
Thanks for updating and sharing the good news. Glad your mood has improved, you're sleeping better and the nausea is gone. Give yourself a break if, Lefty, will cooperate for awhile and enjoy a lovely Spring with its sunshine and warmer weather. Things are looking up! :yes!:
@Carol68

So glad you are feeling better! Isn't it lovely when infection clears and everything seems a bit brighter?

Hi so glad you are feeling better. I am 6 weeks and 1 day on my second TKR. The first was 7 years ago. This knee went very suddenly and unfortunately could not be done because I was undergoing treatment for cancer. I was given all clear in December so had my knee done on 8 February.
the same surgeon did both knee replacements and he was fabulous. He tells me I have done really well but it has been a hard slog. I had forgotten how hard it is. However onwards and upwards. I can walk unaided, I have started driving, have a bend of 100 and virtually straight leg. I am at the stage I am glad I have had it done.
still a way to go
GILL

Hi so glad you are feeling better. I am 6 weeks and 1 day on my second TKR. The first was 7 years ago. This knee went very suddenly and unfortunately could not be done because I was undergoing treatment for cancer. I was given all clear in December so had my knee done on 8 February.
the same surgeon did both knee replacements and he was fabulous. He tells me I have done really well but it has been a hard slog. I had forgotten how hard it is. However onwards and upwards. I can walk unaided, I have started driving, have a bend of 100 and virtually straight leg. I am at the stage I am glad I have had it done.
still a way to go
GILL
Well done Gill. Sounds like you have a great attitude.
We do forget the pain and struggles after a while. They don’t last forever.
I will have my left knee done eventually, as I’m told it is worse than my right on the X-rays, even though my right knee gave me more pain.
That’s why I chose to have the right knee done first.
I’m so glad I found this website. It has helped me so much talking to others who have been through the same.
Keep going Gill :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks