TKR Carmencita in recovery

@Carmencita, I also had an issue with feeling cold for weeks, especially my feet and the surgical leg. I even ordered leg warmers to wear on the surgical leg. I was taking 3 showers a day because it was the only way I could warm up. If I were you, I'd still check it out with my doctor. Sounds like you are doing really good!

Hi all. Thanks for your input it’s much appreciated. My GP has been brilliant and confirmed it’s not the aspirin, but Codeine causing my v low BP, dizziness problems. I am now only taking one at night and it’s made a huge difference - that and taking aspirin in the morning rather than evening, and upping the Paracetamol. I did some BP checks and although it’s still low, it’s not making me feel light headed and sleepy as before.

Doc laughed when I mentioned my cold feet - he said well,if you’re icing your knee a lot of the day, the cold blood will travel from knee to feet! So it’s layers of socks for me!

First PT yesterday all went v well, not pushing me for ROM, happy with the extension which has yet to straighten completely but heading in the right direction, told me to carry on doing what I’m doing and will see me again next week once staples removed. To me my knee looks huge, but he said there’s only a moderate amount of swelling for only 12 days on.

So all in all, so far so good.....best wishes to you all who are pre and post op!

@Carmencita
So it’s layers of socks for me!
I actually read an article yesterday that indicated wearing socks to bed does help many people sleep better - even those who have not had joint replacements :flwrysmile:

@Carmencita, I am glad you found the reason for your symptoms and it was easily corrected. Cheers:cheers: to continued recovery!

Glad to hear you got your meds and side effects sorted out. I had to laugh at the explanation for cold feet. I had my recoveries when the weather was warm. When I read about people icing in the winter that sounds way less comfortable.

I’m so happy your knee is progressing well! And that you figured out what was causing those symptoms!! :loveshwr:

Hi all. Thanks for checking in on me. I’m doing better now I have dropped the Codeine - it was that, not the aspirin causing the BP issues. In fact I’m off all pain relief now, just have the odd day when I need something. PT was very good today he did lots of massage and gentle rocking and stretching movements which helped enormously. Frustrated that I can’t seem to get any further on with the bend, but I know it will come - extension is better and swelling is very slowly reducing, so all in all, good news for 3 1/2 weeks in!

Hope everyone is doing well, pre or post op. @mature mama I’m still wearing very thick socks and a hot water bottle on my feet at night! How are you doing?

@DogMama only a few days to go now how are you feeling?

Best wishes all

Good to hear your update. Glad you are feeling better.

Sitting here freezing with an ice pack on my knee and long pants, socks and a blanket.

@Carmencita I am so glad to hear you are doing so well!!

Yes! I go tomorrow for my (2nd) preop including a Covid test. Then the BIG day on Thursday. I have moments of terror:scaredycat: but I’m mostly excited!

The "log leg" - what a wonderful description!

I'm finding that taking a nap whenever I feel tired is beneficial. I combine it with icing and elevation anyway, which ticks them off as "done", and a great way to warm up again. So my opinion: sleep more, stress less. :)

Hi @mature mama thanks for checking in on me. I’m doing well, just over 5 weeks now so a few days ahead of you. I’m driving with no problems, PT 2x per week, gradually walking longer distances and still icing and elevating (and getting cold feet!), in between. I am hoping that next week I can start caring for my two ponies again - I’ve had 3 helpers and it drives me mad watching them from the windows, doing all the tasks I want to do. Like you I can’t wait to get out in the garden, I just have to be careful I don’t overdo it as I get lost in it once I start.

Not really had my ROM measured, I’m not bending as much as I’d like but I know it will come. I’ve been on the exercise bike according to Roy Gardiner’s advice. It’s definitely a fine balance between doing enough, but not too much!

The knee itself isn’t painful, but my hamstrings and quads are SCREAMING, they’ve never done so much work, and they are not happy about being woken up!
There is no need to make your hamstrings and quads scream. You are early in recovery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You're tissue is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.

Keep in mind, recovery is temporary, you will get back to normal, after you heal.

Hi all. I am approaching 8 weeks since RTKR and overall doing well. Still struggling a little with ROM but heeding the advice here and not worrying too much about it! I’m finally back caring for my 2 ponies again and walking my dogs which is wonderful. The knee feels good and strong, still have some swelling, still icing and elevating, but not needing pain relief too often and It feels I can trust it.

However, the surgery has really highlighted how bad my other (L) knee is. It’s always been the worst one it looks very deformed and makes the most horrendous crunching, grinding and clicking sensations - but I have coped with it being “not normal” for most of my life. I’ve had 3 arthroscopic clear outs and a lateral release on the left. Xrays show severe bone deterioration plus a kneecap that has a large osteophyte making the patella look more like a comma! The reason for having the right knee done first was because I was having lots of very, very painful bleeds and swellings (confirmed as haemangiomas)? Not sure if that’s the correct phrase?

So, I see my OS on Thursday for my 8 week check on the RTKR. Would it be sensible to get him to check out the left knee at the appointment? In the first days after my op there was no way I wanted to consider going through it all again, but when I look in the mirror and compare them it’s finally made me realise how awfully deformed my left knee is and how much I have compensated over the years. I don’t have bad pain, but it just feels very worn out, crunchy and plain horrible! It’s taken me all these years and a huge and scary operation on my right knee to finally realise I need to do something about the left one!

Would appreciate any thoughts/advice/encouragement please!

Thanks everyone for being there....

I think it'd be fine to ask him about your old knee. It might take months to get you on his surgery schedule and that would give you more time to heal from this one. Your left knee won't get any better but your new knee will!

I would definitely ask him to evaluate it, knowledge is power right? It's always easier to make decisions when you have more data than less.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom