THR Carita's Recovery Thread

Hugs, @Carita. It's just so early in your recovery. We all need time to heal up. If you are achy, do you need more/better pain meds? If you need them, take them. These things, the walker too, are just tools. Just like a yoga block.

*Such* good news on your checkup. And the staples are out, yay. Your surgeon sounds very kind.

You went down steps! I think that down is scarier than up.

Your time outside with your hubby sounds lovely. It's hot here, hottest day so far this year.

Thank you Leejaa. I agree, being outdoors is very healthy for my spirit. I plan lots of walks around the yard.
Thank you for your support,
Carita

Hi friends...checking in on day 15. Pain well managed. Down to tylenol and celebrex. Incision healing well. Anterior hip pain much better. Numbness still very prevalent from hip to above knee. Most nagging symptoms are weakness and fatigue. Holy cow...I feel drained even with all this down time.

Walked to the second floor today with hubby behind me for security. Alternating legs...did well! Even coming down was ok. Hubby commented I am walking better than I have in a year. Now if this silly weakness and fatigue would lift. Signs of healing!

Sending thanks and friendship to you all,
Carita

Now if this silly weakness and fatigue would lift. Signs of healing!
Yes it is! Your body is doing just as it should and using energy first for healing, not leaving more than a spark for anything else, lol. At least it seems that way early on. Rest and sleep when you’re able. Our body does its best healing while we’re sleeping. :sleeep:
A peaceful night to you, Carita :)

Thank you Layla....I appreciate hearing this again! The weakness piece is worrisome. Feels like my estimated blood loss was more like a few liters rather that 300ml!

Warmly,
Carita

:hi: @Carita
This is definitely the energy drain coming into play.
Here'sthat article you might want to look over.

Anytime we expend energy while our body is still using up such for healing...it can feel exhausting.
All temporary! It's going to get better.

Hope you have a good day today.

Happy Sunday, Carita :wave:
I hope you’ve been doing well over the past few days and you’re enjoying the weekend.
Three weeks tomorrow already since your surgery. Hopefully you’re happy with your progress.
A great week to you!
@Carita

Thank you Layla. Three weeks tomorrow...what a road! I see progress and am hopeful it keeps on coming. Fear springs up around the numbness, fatigue and weakness yet I know this is not unusual.

I continue to use the walker as I'm unsure of my leg stability with this numbness and weakness. I am walking in my driveway, taking stairs, puttering around the kitchen but mostly resting and icing. Practicing patience and trust!

I've seen much in the literature about fatigue lasting many months in some cases post op. I need to sit back and ditch the worries.

First PT tomorrow and know my limits about participation. Will be careful.

Many thanks to all of you brave folks. I'm grateful to have your experience and support at my fingertips.

Warmly,
Carita

:hi: Hope PT goes well ..let them know if you feel uncomfortable about any particular exercise.
Don't feel like resting is doing nothing...I often wondered what I needed to do to hurry my recovery. Moving around is essential but I live this.
Stolen from a fellow staff member

When you are icing and elevating and watching telly you are not 'dossing around' you are 'engaging a carefully considered proactively designed heuristically programmed dynamically structured recovery programme'.

Fear springs up around the numbness, fatigue and weakness yet I know this is not unusual.

The numbness, fatigue and weakness should slowly subside with the numbness most likely taking the longest. Make sure you’re taking in adequate amounts of protein daily, if you’re not already. Not consuming enough protein throughout the day can cause fatigue. Aside from helping to fuel your body it will assist in repairing tissue damage caused through surgery. Not sure if your appetite has returned to normal but in case it hasn’t following are some protein snack ideas that may appeal to you.

Nuts
Trail Mix
Turkey roll ups (cheese or veggies rolled inside the turkey)
Greek Yogurt
Cottage Cheese
Hard Boiled Eggs
Tuna
Veggies & Hummus
Peanut Butter and Apple
Peanut Butter on Celery
Cheese Slices
Beef Sticks
Protein Bars
Protein Shakes
Canned Salmon on Crackers
Edamame
Chicken Salad
No Bake Energy Bites (many online recipes)

Hi Carita! I think you are doing so well.. please try to not get discouraged,, it's such a roller coaster. Call me crazy but I loved my daytime naps. You are correct in that the exhaustion can linger for quite some time. I was back at work and doing well overall but then a day would come where I was so tired.
Fast forward a year (almost) from my most recent THR and I am enjoying long walks and a lot of gardening with none of that ugly pre op pain.

I hope the PT went well for you!

Sounds like you are doing well if you are up and around puttering. Small steps lead to big progress when looking back. Keep listening to your body and resting. Naps and rest is good for us aside from recovery. Let us know how PT went and don't do anything that causes pain or discomfort.

Hello friends...thanks to all of you for caring and contributing ideas and support. I deeply appreciate your experienced opinions.

Day 23! PT on day 21 went well. I am fortunate and got a very experienced therapist who has worked with my surgeons patients for years. She said I look great for 3 weeks out. Showed me how to use a cane and encouraged the walker until I feel more stable. Promoted walking with proper gait as best exercise plus four exercises.1) Standing at counter mini squats. 2) Stepping up a short stair with operated leg. 3) Standing at counter and balancing on operated leg. 4) Mini bridges. All reasonable number of reps. She ended the session with passive range of motion and 10 minutes of ice. I was not sore afterwards. I described how fatigued and weak I feel with leg numbness. Her response was reassuring. She said many people have fatigue and it can last for many months. To rest and slowly build strength through walking and gentle exercises. She reminded me I had had over a year of decline then a very traumatic surgery. ( She said, you do know what they did to you, right? It is a vigorous surgery!). I will follow your wise advice and temper anything I feel is too much. At this point walking feels enough. I am slowing building up endurance and feeling more confident with the cane.

So, that is my story! Per good advice here I upped protein intake. Having it throughout the day. So grateful for my Vitamix, plant based protein powder and greens!

So much gratitude to you all...a lovely generous community!

Carita

Carita, I'm a week ahead of you and I also get fatigued easily. I had knee replacement Jan '19 so I have two stiff legs, lol. My surgeon (a different one than my knee surgery) told me until I have the second hip replacement I will continue to have problems with my knee.

BUT, the things I can do compared to what I could do before hip replacement makes me happy, lol. I drove to our rural dollar store yesterday to pick up a retirement card and gift wrap paper. It was my first trip out other than my one doc appointment. I was fine walking slowly and holding onto the buggy.

By 7PM I was yawning and showered, ready for bed, lol.

I had so many comments from well meaning (I guess they were!) people telling me to get rid of my cane and see another doctor after my slow knee healing. I bit my tongue and tried to ignore them. Use anything that helps you walk and walk correctly!

I still ice at night. I take two Tylenol PM at night and 2 regular Tylenol each morning. I sleep OK for about 4 to 5 hours and then I wake up for a bathroom break. The rest of the night I just can not get comfortable and I toss and turn, waking up every 30minutes to an hour. But the excruciating pain is gone, so I'll put up with the sleep problems, lol.

I was able to run lotion on my legs last night for the first time in two years. Amazing!!

Some of the hospitals are preform ing the hip replacement surgery as same day release. I hope I don't have to deal with that in six months.

My motto is 'Go slow and recover pain free'. Take your time and heal on your time frame, I am!!

Hi Kneehelp, thank you for the encouragement. I like hearing others stories. It sounds like you are doing very well! You've had a few big events health wise and are overcoming them... a tribute to you!

I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better and taking trips to the store. Isn't it lovely to be able to do things you couldn't before? Like lotion on your legs! For me the absence of the awful joint pain is a gift. I think we all feel this way.

I'm curious about your nighttime discomfort. Is it pain keeping you from sleeping? I'm sorry that is an issue. Perhaps some more experienced hippies will have suggestions.

The fatigue and weakness will resolve over time. I need to remind myself that the surgery requires much of my energy. We will find our vigor again!

I just walked around our neighborhood block with one crutch...my first walking venture outside of my yard. Icing and having a protein shake now. Grateful for signs of healing!

Thank you for your kind words.
Warmly,
Carita

Splendid news @Carita and your PT sounds mindful and splendid also.:happydance:
I felt that surely my numbness could be collateral damage at several months out but the area affected got smaller and smaller as time went on...all normal now.
You are doing just great.
Time will be the greatest healer.
New hips rock.
Healing mojo coming your way!:friends:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties