Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Cardiac Stress Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mudpro

graduate
Country
United States United States
Just shy of 2 years ago I was on auto-pilot to have my right hip replaced when I was told that due to a non-symptomatic heart condition (WPW) that I've had w/o issue since birth, I had to get a Cardiologist sign off before the OS would perform the "elective" hip surgery. So I made the appointment.

First thing the Cardiologists wants me to do is take a "Stress Test" where they hook you up to a bunch of wires, shoot some radioactive isotope in your veins and run you like a race horse on a treadmill -- Dah, I'm here because I need a NEW HIP I say...

The doc says, "no problem, we will "chemically induce" the cardiac stress we need for the test." I had a bad reaction to that "chemical" and to say the least, I survived the experience but it wasn't pleasant.

Fast forward the two years, I return to the Cardiologist for a routine check up and he orders another "Stress Test". Except this time, I sit tall in the chair and say, "bring on the treadmill."

Hip replacement (or in my case, Hip Resurfacing) BEST decision I ever made!

BTW: I passed the stress test with flying colors; healthy as a horse.

sunshine

graduate
I had to do that induced stress test this year also and I didn't like it, the way it made me feel either. Last year I did it and no problems so I don't know what they do differently.
I know it waseasier then on the tread mill, my Doc will push you to the limits????No mercy with him on that darn tread!!! I hope when I have to have it again he will be easier on me but I will be happy to walk fast on it!!!
Good for you, I know it was a good feeling to do it yourself!!!!:D

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I did the stress test a few years ago. As I believe I've said before, I hate walking with a passion. So when they tilted the belt to it's max and ramped up the speed, I was crying I couldn't go on any longer. The techs watching just kept saying "two more minutes, two more minutes" and then finally let me stop, expressing puzzlement that I seemed to in such distress but there was nothing showing on the trace.

"No no" I explained "It wasn't chest pain - my feet just couldn't keep up with the belt and I was nearly falling flat on my face!"

JudyS

alpha
Country
it was about 6 years ago that i had to have treadmill stress test, being an obsessive runner, i was thrilled. Got cancelled the first time because my bp was stroke level (new finding)
once it was ok'd i loved it. My heart onlhy had problems before the test!!!I was the second best ever on the treadmill. If they had told me that i would not have stopped, i was just thinking how sweaty i was going to be and had to return to work.

Now a few weeks ago having the full blown cardio/pulmonary stress test, another story. Awful. Your nose is clipped, you have to breathe in a tube, and they never told me how high the ramp would elevate. And with a 43% lung capacity. Sheer torture.
judy

[email protected]

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
Judy, I hate the pulmonary tests that you describe. I always have uncontrollable coughing afterwards and the medical staff always get a little concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Viv
Recent bookmarks