TKR Can't straighten leg or walk eleven weeks post op

Pilates is quite common. There are lots of videos on Youtube which show lots of exercises which improve strength mobility and most importantly, core strength. I have a lady instructor who tailors the exercises to my needs. For me, Pilates works and works well.

Good morning everyone. Two months after a total knee replacement, the swelling in the leg is much reduced, most of the time I can move it fairly freely and it is slowly straightening out. I can now take a few steps with a Zimmer but I cannot put too much weight on the knee without it beginning to hurt. Forgetting about my particular time scale, is it normal for the knee to hurt like this. Is the pain likely to end in due course or could I need further surgery.
Thanks, Jim

Chances are good that your pain will end in due course. TKR is such a major surgery, with so much disruption of your bone and soft tissues, that it's inevitably painful. Some people can put full weight on their new knees right away (still painful, but they can do it) and others find the pain too great to put much weight on the knee at all. I remember that for me I could put weight on the knee, but it hurt like crazy; it took a few months before my new knees were not painful to simply stand upon. I have no pain at all now.

You'll be seeing your surgeon again in a few weeks? I think I remember you saying that. It's quite possible your knee will feel better by then.

Two months is still early days. Give your knee lots of opportunity to heal: plenty of rest, elevating (to reduce swelling), icing (same, plus it helps reduce pain), and just gentle exercise. It can seem like that's "not doing enough" but it's just what a new knee needs.

Time will help as SusieShoes said. It was quite a while before I could walk with no pain at all.

Well, as of today, 10 weeks after my TKR, my leg seems to have straightened a bit but my wife doesn't think it has. The swelling is minimal and the leg feels more like a leg than a lump of lead.
Numbness around the knee is now limited to just half of one side. The pain I feel when I attempt to stand is lessening, but I still cannot take my weight on the leg even using a Zimmer. I am hoping my situation improves soon!

Hi @JamesAB I am at 7 weeks and feel much the same. The numbness has improved but I don't really have the pain. I am overall very happy. Hoping you feel better soon!

It sounds like your coming along pretty good and seeing improvements! That's what we all want!

At last, some success at today's physiotherapy following my knee replacement last November. I was able to walk up and down the parallel bars six times with my feet mostly flat on the floor and with minimal pain in the knee and with putting one foot in front of the other. To, me, this is the first real progress in two months and I might possibly have a whisky or two tonight.

That is great news!

Great news! You are coming along nicely.

Good news! I can tell you I was using a cane regularly 10 weeks and even later at 4-5 months. It was important for me to make that adjustment slowly.

Have that whiskey (or two), but don't fall down the rabbit hole of trying to quicken the pace! It's a great feeling to make a little progress, and a great sign that you're on the right track.

Hi again I am now 11 weeks post operation. At night it seems I can straighten my leg out quite well when lying on my back. I don't seem to be able to straighten it as much during the day. If I turn to the side it tends to curl up. I do not get any pain in knee unless I try to stand on it. Consequently, I can only walk a little using parallel bars at physio or slide a few steps on the Zimmer before pain in the knee.

On waking leg has little or no swelling but it does tend to swell during the day. Sometimes leg feels like lead other times it feels normal. This alternates during the day. Right lower quadrant of the knee remains numb. Slowly things are improving, I think. It seems this is par for the course!

I'm going to tag our forum nurse director, @Josephine, to come talk with you. At 11 weeks, unless there are some circumstances you haven't told us about pre-surgery conditions or other surgeries, you should be able to put at least some weight on your operated leg. Have you seen your surgeon for followup and what was said about your progress and pain?

I have a walking disability due to being born with mild cerebral palsy. The leg was realigned during the replacement. I see the surgeon next Friday. I can put some weight on the knee but not sufficient to take a step without taking most of my weight on my arms.

The leg was realigned during the replacement.
:idea: I think this is central to what you see as slow recovery; your body has been used to one 'set-up' all your life and is now having to adjust to a new one. This takes quite a time as all the muscles, ligaments and tendons must change (lengthen or shorten) to suit. It stands to reason that the body resists this change to an extent -- if not, our bodies would stretch all through life with any stress, and we'd all collapse in heaps :) :-) (:

It sounds, though, like you're progressing correctly, slow but sure. You'll get there.

I note a number of good and rapid recoveries in this forum. In all cases it seems the patient left hospital being able to walk
That's the usual thing. They are expected to be able to walk at least the day after surgery.
Right lower quadrant of the knee remains numb.
That's normal. Did you read this Numb area after TKR?
I have a walking disability due to being born with mild cerebral palsy. The leg was realigned during the replacement.
Now you tell us! So that's why he chose to attempt a realignment? That's very likely key to the whole problem.

However, I'd quite like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

At physiotherapy today I was able to walk significantly better at the parallel bars. Knee pain seems to lessen if I flex knee several times. Physiotherapist says I'm improving. Don't think I want any other procedures if suggested by surgeon until I feel fully healed and I can see result.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back