TKR Can't straighten leg or walk eleven weeks post op

My knee replacement surgeries were several years ago, but I recall the hardest part of recovery for me was getting my leg to fully extend. My PT guy suggested I keep a 5 pound bag of rice in the freezer, then a couple times a day I would sit on the sofa with my foot on an ottoman and place the frozen rice bag on my knee for 20 minutes. The cold helped with discomfort and swelling, while the gentle pressure of the 5 pound weight helped extend the leg. For me, this was a miraculous help.

In my naivety, I had forgotten that the last time I walked, unaided was some five years ago.
So much can atrophy when we can't use muscles, tendons and ligaments. But it does sound like you are making real progress. Slow but sure I know. But 5 years is a long time.

Just keep things gentle and steady. You'll get there!

My knee replacement surgeries were several years ago, but I recall the hardest part of recovery for me was getting my leg to fully extend. My PT guy suggested I keep a 5 pound bag of rice in the freezer, then a couple times a day I would sit on the sofa with my foot on an ottoman and place the frozen rice bag on my knee for 20 minutes. The cold helped with discomfort and swelling, while the gentle pressure of the 5 pound weight helped extend the leg. For me, this was a miraculous help.
Yes, I have actually used a long, tubular hot water bottle that drapes over my knee.

The best thing I found to help with my extension was to walk with a much longer stride with a heel-to-toe gait. You have to be very sure that you have something to hold on to if you lose your balance and might fall. These long strides help to stretch out those big tendons and muscles. This was a slow process and didn't happen overnight, but it worked well for me!

Hi James :wave:
It's been three months to date since your kneecap resurfacing. Happy Anniversary!
I hope all is going well for you. Please let us know how you're doing when you have the time.
Hope to hear from you soon.
@JamesAB

Hello,

Yes it has indeed been three months since my patella resurfacing, the purpose of which was to stop the pain around the kneecap following my TKR in November 2018.

I wish I could say I was rushing around like a mad thing but I can't. The problem is that I haven't walked "properly" for some five years and although all the original pain that, after my TKR prevented me from working is gone, my legs are very weak and it is taking time to build up the muscles.

I do all sorts of exercises, Pilates, strength and lots of indoor walking with my walker and I am glad to say that every day I notice a small but consistent improvement. Getting up and down stairs is now relatively easy if a bit "clumsy."

I can see the muscles on my "bad" leg developing and I have no doubt that this summer I'll be walking, maybe with a stick but walking nonetheless.

The "postoperative discomfort" (as my surgeon euphemistically put it) has now, all but, gone - just a little sensitivity to a light touch on the right side of my upper thigh remains. The leg is somewhat "stiff" but nowhere near what it was. It is also straighter than it was: When I first started to use my walker only my toes would touch the floor. Over time the ball of the foot would be on the floor and now with a little effort my heel will just brush against the floor.

Looking back over my posts here, it could be stated that all this has been said before after the TKR, which would be true but, I hope and believe that this time it is different and my continued improvement won't come to a stop this time!

Watch This Space!!

Kindest Regards,
Jim

@JamesAB So glad to see your update. Sounds like you are still moving forward with this recovery. You will indeed continue to see progress - especially in your case as you had years of mobility issues. Going up and down stairs is a major milestone - well done!

One of our members on the hip side has just seen Mr Zahn. I'm tagging her in case she has any questions or concerns about working with him @moonie8404 .

It really sounds as though you are winning- albeit the pace is slow. Glad things are on the up!

Thanks for the update!
Slowly but surely you're getting there. Lots of positive improvements, James. :yay:
We will look forward to future updates. Wishing you a great Spring 2023!
@JamesAB

Hi James,
Another month has passed and I hope it's brought some progress for you.
Update us when you have time. Until then, wishing you all the best and a Happy Four Month Anniversary!
@JamesAB

Happy to see you are making some improvements. You're right that the muscles will need to gradually return to normal. Hopefully it continues steadily, if slowly.

Hello everyone and thank you once again for your good wishes.

Looking back at what I posted on April 5th, It would be true to say that I could post exactly the same text today as nothing much seems to have changed. As such, it is difficult not to feel a sense of foreboding that the hoped for improvement will not materialise and I will forever have to endure walking with an aid or using a wheelchair.

However, I don't think that the healing process and "convalescence" is by any means complete: I still have some residual sensitivity to the right side of my right upper thigh (why there I don't know) and there is a very distinct temperature difference between my left and right kneecaps, with the right (the "bad" one) being quite noticeably hot compared to the left. So, something is still going on there! My right leg is still not straight and despite all the exercises that I do, it's slow to straighten although it is, again very slowly, doing so. I am nowhere near to having sufficient strength to put my full weight on the leg.

The most significant difference between my current situation and that after my original replacement is that I now find that on getting out of bed or on getting up after sitting for a while the knee is a little stiff and achy but once I get mobile the pain ebbs away. This is the complete reverse of what happened before and is, to some extent encouraging.

All I can do is keep plodding on and hope that things will change for the better, not just for me but even more so for my wife who has to do so much running around after me and doing things that I used to do.

Looking on the bright side, I do the ironing, I prepare the evening tea and for the last few days I have been cleaning all the surfaces in our conservatory albeit mostly from my wheelchair save for the fact I managed to get up a small step ladder today to reach the higher bits, which was a first this time around. Stairs are less of a problem than they were, despite falling down a flight of seven steps recently. Fortunately I did this feet first so all that was hurt was my dignity. I can drive again.

In conclusion I am worried, I am a little downhearted but I am still optimistic that things will change for the better. As they say: Hope springs eternal......

Kind Regards, Jim

@JamesAB Just catching up with your updates. I know this all seems a long, slow slog - but you have really made progress!
on getting up after sitting for a while the knee is a little stiff and achy but once I get mobile the pain ebbs away. This is the complete reverse of what happened before and is, to some extent encouraging.

I do the ironing, I prepare the evening tea and for the last few days I have been cleaning all the surfaces in our conservatory albeit mostly from my wheelchair

Stairs are less of a problem than they were,

I can drive again.
I know these may seem minor. But this is great news compared to where you were before this procedure. And since you spent many months with major mobility issues, we do know that things aren't going to change overnight.
there is a very distinct temperature difference between my left and right kneecaps, with the right (the "bad" one) being quite noticeably hot compared to the left.
Does icing ease this at all? If you are at all worried, do call Mr Zahn. I found him very receptive to my concerns even years after my procedure.

Just keep doing what you are doing! A big congratulations for all your persistence!

@Jaycey ,

Thanks again for your kind words and advice.

I may have been a little pessimistic recently, because over the last few days I have noted quite a significant improvement in that I can put a lot more weight on the leg without any increase in the low level of discomfort that I feel when exerting it. Indeed, not only did I manage to get two steps up a ladder to clean some conservatory windows, I also managed to shuffle four steps in the kitchen without any support - admittedly not very elegantly! I feel that I can really work the knee/leg now and although I might, subsequently, feel some pain it doesn't last for long and within 24 hours the improvement in what I can do is noticeable. There was a little swelling of my foot this morning but not excessive. The temperature difference between my knees was not as great as I have seen.

So, once again, I am leaning to optimism and I hope to report even better news soon.

Kindest regards to all.
Jim

I have just walked a few yards with only one hand on my Walker and not a lot of weight on the hand. In the great scheme of things this might not seem a big deal - until you know that this is the first time that I have been able to do this for five years! Guess who is a Happy Bunny?

I have just walked a few yards with only one hand on my Walker and not a lot of weight on the hand. In the great scheme of things this might not seem a big deal - until you know that this is the first time that I have been able to do this for five years! Guess who is a Happy Bunny?
Finfers crossed you will see much more improvement now. You've been through so much. I really feel for you @JamesAB

That is so awesome!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties