Can't shower until staples are removed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder why there are so many differences between surgeons and hospitals. With both knee replacements I had glue and staples and on the 2nd day after surgery we are allowed to take a shower, nothing protecting the wound. I had glue and steri strips with my hip replacement and same procedure. So when I went home I was able to continue to have a shower. Staples with both knee replacements were removed 10 days after surgery.

There are differences because there is no one perfect method to perform this surgery. Individual surgeons have their own techniques and beliefs that come from the way they were trained, their experience, discussions with other surgeons, and any ongoing training they have. The good news is that we all get through recovery even though there are differences in the road traveled.

There are many difference between surgeons. Mine uses staples, covered by a heavy-duty silver-infused bandage that is water-tight. So I am able to shower right away.

You have to follow your surgeon's directives, but there's nothing wrong with asking questions.

It was interesting to compare and contrast the protocols sued by my OS and my father's OS.

My dad had a CPM machine, staples, and could not shower for quite some time.

I had steri-strips and glue, no CPM machine, but I also could not shower for some time, either.

These protocols, though, do have reasons for their use, and the O's can all tell you why they do that.

Staples showered next day hmmmm did I.ask.tho

Legin THR Sep 14

Wow, 3 weeks - that seems like an excessively long time to have staples in. Mine were removed on Day 10 and steri-strips were applied and I was fine.

I had an aqua-cell dressing over my staples that was water-resistant and was able to shower right away. I also purchased some leg protectors (for people with casts) to make sure no water got in there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also have an aqua-cell and was told to go ahead and shower...which I'm about to do, I am pretty sure I smell :heehee:

I had staples and was given a "seal tight cast and bandage protector" at the hospital (you can sesrch this on amazon to see a picture). It was a very long one that I could pull up well above the knee. I was able to shower right away. It worked very well and kept my leg very dry. You may want to ask your doctor if you can use something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie