THR Can't get on the NHS waiting list

chicklady

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi
Am a 60 year old female in serve hip pain been like this for 2years now I suffer with rheumatoid arthritis and am over weight I live in Wales my question is has anyone else been told a surgeon will not even look at me cause am overweight I am desperately trying to loss weight but my mobility is really bad I feel this is an excuse on behalf of the NHS too keep the numbers down I've had both my knees replaced without any problems just getting really desperate now as no one will help me any suggestions

Hello! Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us! I am sorry you're struggling to get the help you need in an effort to lose the pain and regain mobility. You are not the only one that's been in this situation and it is difficult to lose weight when it's painful to move.

I am not familiar enough with the NHS's guidelines on weight in regard to joint replacement. I encourage you to try typing key words into the SEARCH at the top right of the page and see if threads pop up where high BMI in relation to surgery pop up. It's been discussed here often enough. I will also leave some pre-op reading for you below and hope you receive some feedback from other UK members. Take good care and stay in touch. we're here for support.

HIP PRE-OP ARTICLES

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at stories of amazing hip recoveries

Unfortunately the 40 BMI is the standard cutoff for most surgeons, due to the higher risk of infection associated with high BMI patients. But there are doctors out there....you may just need to travel to consult with them.

We do offer a list of surgeons that perform surgery on those with higher BMI, but they are all in the US.
Hopefully you'll find a surgeon in Wales. :fingersx:

If funds allow why don’t you get a consultation privately. Around £250. X-ray or mri extra (not sure what they do for hips). He may ask you to wait for the X-ray and then see you under the same consultation fee. You will know that day exactly what the situation is whether he considers you too heavy for surgery.

He will ask if you are self pay or have insurance. Assuming you are self pay, he will ask you if you would like him to write to your GP who will then refer you to him on the NHS. You don’t get treated any quicker and I would say from your consultant receiving the letter from your GP it will be about 6-7 months (maybe less). You will then see the consultant (again) and you will be put on the waiting list - about 4-5 months.

Bear in mind my experience is for knee surgery but the way it works is just the same.

So Google spire hospitals or private hospitals near you. Ring them up to get a consultancy price and that’s the start.

People will say why should you go private - but we all know the answer to that one.

I’ve just had my knee done on the NHS. They were wonderful !

The waiting lists in Wales are shocking ( the health board I am in is worst of all). I had mine done privately because I had been waiting for three years. I know people who have been waiting five years with still no end in sight. My point is, if you get on the list you have plenty of time to lose a bit of weight.

I agree with the suggestion to see a consultant privately and then get put on the NHS list. I know it’s upsetting to think of waiting so long, but at least being on the list would be something.

I know a guy with a high BMI but is all muscle because he works out so much. He was told by the consultant to lose weight, he argued his point about having no fat, just muscle and was successful.

@Can can girl
Hello and Welcome! Thanks for joining us and offering support on the forum. I’d like to encourage you to start a thread and tell us a bit about your joint replacement journey. It will be nice to get to know you a little better. Please join us!

Let us know if you have any questions and we’ll be happy to help.

@chicklady I went the private consultation then on to the NHS list with both my THRs. The NHS is indeed inserting milestones into the waitlist journey. I think if you can meet the surgeon in a relaxed consultation they may help you get on a list.

BTW - do you know what your BMI is? How close are you to their imposed cutoff?

My bmi is 41 my RA consultant has tried so many times to get me on the list but no way will the surgeon put me on it till my bmi is below 40 it's just ridiculous I've applied to go private but the waiting list is just as bad as the NHS I feel I'm in a catch 22 situation I'm in so much pain

I've applied to go private but the waiting list is just as bad as the NHS
You should be able to book a private consultation in a matter of days. Be sure you are talking to the consultant's medical secretary for their private practice.

I would think that if you meet with the consultant and they see you are very close to the BMI cut off they may try to work with you. If you have mobility issues due to the bad hip it is very difficult to lose weight.

Hi Chicklady. I had my knee replacement in January and went the private route. It would have taken me six months to even see a consultant on the NHS and then at least a years wait on their list. I’m in the Hampshire area. I would have had to wait 6 weeks for the private op, but then got a cancellation so got it a month earlier. If there is a long wait in your area to even go private could you arrange to see a surgeon in a different area who might be quicker. You will probably have a couple of months wait, and could use that time to get down to a 39 BMI maybe?

My Gp did refer me to a consultant in the nhs but I had to pass a triage test by a senior physiotherapist before I saw a consultant. So a six month wait but finally saw him. He is a stickler for weight loss but my BMI was around 38 as I had lost over a stone during the long wait. So I am now on the list.

And btw the Gp I saw was a locum not my regular GP so I suggest you try to see your GP again with a weightloss plan assuming you won’t see a consultant for six months.

Good luck x

Last edited:
Ps in November my weight was 117kg and BMI edging to 41. I’m now 109kg so under BMI 40. I didn’t do much excercise as too stiff and painful but am starting to do so now.. I guess by the time I get the op I will be around BMI 36 if I keep slimming down m. I did this using My Fitness Pal and Slimpod. The former counts calories the latter doesn’t but you can keep counting cals if you wish. To be honest I’m happy as long as the scales shift downwards every 2-3 weeks. It is a slow process I know but I’m getting there!

I hope you can get another appointment soon!

Hi
Am a 60 year old female in serve hip pain been like this for 2years now I suffer with rheumatoid arthritis and am over weight I live in Wales my question is has anyone else been told a surgeon will not even look at me cause am overweight I am desperately trying to loss weight but my mobility is really bad I feel this is an excuse on behalf of the NHS too keep the numbers down I've had both my knees replaced without any problems just getting really desperate now as no one will help me any suggestions
Apparently the BMI for surgery is higher in private hospitals than on the NHS.
i was in a similar situation to yourself. I was too heavy for the NHS. Luckily I was within the guidelines for the private hospital.
For several months before surgery I could hardly do anything and my weight went up and up.
Since my surgery just over four weeks ago I have lost almost a stone. The anaesthetic kills your appetite for several weeks so almost guarantees weight loss after the operation.
I was lucky because although I had to raid my retirement money to afford it, I was able to.

At first the thought of spending several thousand pounds on an operation appalled me, but actually as I came to understand what was included, I decided it was actually good value.
I had an excellent surgeon, the same one as I would have had on the NHS, the anaesthetist was brilliant too. I had a private room, the nursing staff were excellent. The food was silver service and excellent even though it is hard to eat after the operation.
All the medication I needed was included, the physio at the hospital was included.
When I came home I was given a raised toilet seat, to keep, and was also given crutches and a walker.
The package also included physio sessions as an out patient.
It was the first time I have had an operation privately, but the NHS waiting list was up to two years.

I hope you will be able to find a surgeon that will look after you. It isn’t easy just waiting in pain.
I was very pleased with my decision, and I am coming along nicely, and so glad I had it done as I am able now to start putting my life back together.
Good luck anyway, but put yourself first, even if you do have to pull strings.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks