THR Cane helps my Limp

alex17

Country
United States United States
Hello I am 28 y/o male and I had a right total hip replacement, direct anterior approach, on 3/5/2020. About to be 11 weeks. My recovery has been nothing but great thus far as I have followed every precaution that I was told by OS. My only concern is my limp when I walk. I am still using the cane because it’s been helping me with my limp. The moment I let it go I start limping. Also, I started PT about a month ago and I am seeing big improvements on my leg.

About how much longer do I need to be on the cane? Should I stop using it as I don’t think I need it, I am only using it to help with my limp. Also, growing up I always had a limp and having this surgery actually made my leg length even. So I am definitely happy for that!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello,
Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us! It sounds like you’re doing really well aside from the limp. It is recommended you use an assistive device until the limp resolves. it you‘ve limped for years, it may take awhile. Here is a tip -
Try heel-toe walking when / if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes. It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try. If you’re still in PT, ask your therapist about heel-toe walking and see what they have to offer.
Stop back and let us know how you’re doing. Best of luck to you!
@alex17

OP
OP
A

alex17

Country
Hello,
Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us! It sounds like you’re doing really well aside from the limp. It is recommended you use an assistive device until the limp resolves. it you‘ve limped for years, it may take awhile. Here is a tip -
Try heel-toe walking when / if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes. It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try. If you’re still in PT, ask your therapist about heel-toe walking and see what they have to offer.
Stop back and let us know how you’re doing. Best of luck to you!
@alex17
@Layla - thank you for your response, I will definitely do that. Will let you know how the next weeks go.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I know it's been several weeks since your surgery, but I'm going to give you the BoneSmart recovery guidelines, because there are still some articles that are relevant.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Eman85

post-grad
Country
Having had a limp previously and a change in leg length will surely take time to overcome. Having a THR is a great reason to buy new shoes as old shoes can cause bad walking. I had to really slow my walking and concentrate on heel toe and good posture. Fewer slower good steps are better than caring about distance or speed, it helped me get rid of the limp.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi Alex :wave:
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? We’d love to hear from you...tell us something good.:)
Hope you’re healing well and feeling well. Enjoy the Summer! :SUNsmile:
@alex17

OP
OP
A

alex17

Country
Hi Alex :wave:
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? We’d love to hear from you...tell us something good.:)
Hope you’re healing well and feeling well. Enjoy the Summer! :SUNsmile:
@alex17
Thank you! Every day that goes my my leg gets stronger, and really focused heal toe walks are helping. I am still on the cane but see improvements.
Hope you are enjoying your summer as well!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello Alex,
Its been four months now. Wondering how you’re doing...
I’ll bet life is treating you good these days.:ok:
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Have a wonderful week.:)
@alex17

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @alex17
Thank you for sharing that delightful update. Walking normal and unassisted without pain is the goal. Looks like you’re well on your way. May it only get better.
Have a wonderful Summer and promise not to be a stranger here. :wave:

TomT

Country
Hello Alex, I'm also hoping to have my legs evened out during my surgery, do you mind if I ask how much length did they add to your leg to make them even?

OP
OP
A

alex17

Country
Hello Alex, I'm also hoping to have my legs evened out during my surgery, do you mind if I ask how much length did they add to your leg to make them even?
Hi Tom. I’m not exactly sure as I am still adjusting to the new hip but will know once I go to my 6 months check up. I will tell you, it was a big difference in the past. Now it’s minimal discrepancy in leg lengths.

TomT

Country
Hi Tom. I’m not exactly sure as I am still adjusting to the new hip but will know once I go to my 6 months check up. I will tell you, it was a big difference in the past. Now it’s minimal discrepancy in leg lengths.
This is awesome news, I also have a big difference and hopefully it can be made even or at least close to even.

OP
OP
A

alex17

Country
I finished my last day of PT yesterday, my therapist said I don’t need to go anymore. I am walking normal but to continue my home exercises. I would have to say to everyone, be patient throughout this whole process. It will get better!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Thanks for the encouraging post, alex. Many will appreciate your words!
It‘s good to read all is going well at four months into recovery. May it only get better.
A great Summer of 2020 to you. Please stay in touch, we love updates. :)
@alex17

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
waddler
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom