Cancelled hip replacement dates

Trendynan

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all

Just a question as to how many times people have had cancelled or have cancelled their op dates?
I've had mine cancelled 3 times now. First not my fault no one listened about my tooth extraction so close to op and it got cancelled as i went into theatre. 2nd time not my fault they sent new date but didn't listen that I had already got a hol booked and they had said they would work round it. Third tine my fault as I hit a virus week of op. Unfortunately got taken off list and had to be re referred. Saw consultant 3 weeks ago who apologised for mistakes and put me back on list. Got my new date 14th August. Have stayed in on house arrest for past 10 days and thought doing well................ This aft developing a sore throat. Panic now setting in. I am scared I will be taken off list again. Scared of being shouted at. Had a stressful week my 9 year old grandaughter poorly in hosp. Not even been to see her for fear of catching something and now this. Going to get an emergency gp appt tomorrow if I can. I am trying not to panic but..........

I have had mine for my knee shoved around once.. but the next date was just days later. They tried to move this op up to my birthday..twice.. I felt bad but it did not change the date originally agreed on. ( ie no penalty!)

BTW none of the three cancellations you endured were your fault! Its not fun but its for the best to be cancelled.

I understand your concern about the sore throat.. I had one three days ago and the OH NO button went off.. I reminded myself I have till the 19th to get rid of it.. And it disappeared that night for some reason.. I hope you have the same happen to you! I gotta remember to be very mindful of hand sanitation these last few days..

Mainegirl1
Thank you for your reply. Hope your surgery goes ahead too x

Oh my stars...you CAN'T have a sore throat.
Maybe it's allergy drainage?
Let's say YES.
Mind over matter.
Stress does affect our immune systems so please just UnLax if you can.
Vitamin C ...just in case...I take the high powered gummies when I think I'm "getting something"
:fingersx::fingersx: crossed all stays on track!:thumb:

Mojo333

Bless you. Thank you for reply. I'm scared it will get cancelled again but hey out of my hands. I'm sucking strepsils. Drinking lots water. Xxx

@Trendynan, hang in there, I know it's crazy but try your best to relax. I just walked outside to check the mail and I come back with a scratchy throat, like I swallowed a big or something, and as soon as I sit down I start sneezing like crazy. Think it's just stuff in the air. Will keep you in my thoughts.
:angel:

Strepsils are available in the USA! Amazon of course again.. I had to google it too.. Thought it was a UK thing.. apparently not.

I'm so sorry you are so worried about your grand daughter on top of the upcoming surgery.
Hopefully you are feeling better tonight.. I'd add gargling with warm salt water to the mix. Sometimes the old fashioned remedies are so helpful.
My first thought was about the pollen and allergies, too. Rest up and try to practice some mindfulness. There's so many great meditations and sleep selections on Youtube.. they are a huge help to me when Im in stress mode.

Please keep us updated. :prayer: :angel:

Thank you everyone.
Just rang Dr's surgery. Appt 11.10 this morning.

Another thing to throw in the mix.
I have a condition called sarcoidosis. It has affected my eyes lungs skin and spleen although at the moment it's not too bad.
I don't sleep well so my respiratory Dr requested a sleep study to rule out sleep apnea.
I had a sleep study and also a lung function test 9 days ago (last time I went out).
The hosp rang to say results from sleep study show I have mild sleep Apnoea. I don't meet the criteria ordinarily for treatment (cpap machine) however as I have sarcoidosis and don't sleep well my consultant is happy for me to have a machine. It would need an appt day before my hip surgery, as I wouldn't ordinarily be offered a machine I have declined for now as enough going on with surgery. My question is do I need to advise pre op team if the sleep apnea? Sorry for ling post. I am a medical mystery!!!!

Get some First Defence nasal spray from a pharmacy. Really works but you need to start using it at the first sign of a cold. Vitamin C as well.

Hi all
Been to Dr's it's, a throat infection. Have got 5 days antibiotics which will finish on Tues and op is wed x

Goodness. You have had such a time of it, dear Trendynan
:console2:
I do hope you get well and keep your OS appraised of your concerns.
I know you have to be anxious about another delay, but want no complications with this surgery.
Hugs for a healing weekend.

@Trendynan glad you got that appointment! I know you are worried about your granddaughter but this is even more reason for you to stay away from hospitals. Lots of rest and healthy eating in the run up to your big day.

Hello and Happy Friday :wave:
Wow, that's cutting it close! Sorry to hear you're dealing with one more obstacle.
Fingers crossed you'll be ready to go on Wednesday.
We'll be watching. Rest up and have a peaceful and relaxing weekend.
@Trendynan

The anaesthesiologist will monitor your breathing very closely in regards to the sleep apnea. BTW, I was diagnosed as mild, got the newest Philips Dreamstation, and sleep infinitely better. Machine makes no noise. Even has a heated humidifier (and tubing). My doctor and allergist say my nasal and sinus tissues look normal since I started using it ( were never normal before).

I am on that same CPAP machine @marieltha! Ironically it was during my first hip surgery that I was informed that I needed to have a sleep study done and they were right.
My sister has a very very mild sleep apnea but her cardiologist wanted her on a CPAP and she feels so much better with using it so even with a mild case it's a noticeable improvement. So, when you are ready @Trendyman you will look into it but I understand not wanting to pursue it right now! Your medical team will take good care of you after they know it may be an issue.
So glad you got right in to see the Dr! The last week leading up to surgery is always so nerve wracking.. but you got right on it, good for you! :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back