Reverse Shoulder Replacement Can you sleep on your op side?

Bbud101

Country
United States United States
Back in 2013 I suffered my first and only tonic clonic seizure. I dislocated both shoulders posteriorly. My left shoulder had 4 fragment humoral head fracture. I had a hemiarthroplasty done 2 days after the seizure. My right shoulder also fractured but was thought to put it back in place and rehab it.

Fast forward 4 months later I went to get a second opinion as my right shoulder really hurt during PT. Come to find out I had torn rotator cuff, torn bicep tendon, and torn labrum. This explained why it hurt so much. In June had right shoulder arthroscopic to fix all the tears.

In September had left shoulder revised to a total replacement. Fast forward 3 years later and left shoulder still hurts. I see a doctor in Chicago he suspects an infection. Go in for surgery and wake up to the news my shoulder looked to be infected so all the hardware was removed and a antibiotic spacer put in. I was in the hospital for 5 days waiting on the culture to grow. I had a pic line put in and after 5 days sent home. Week later the culture grew and it was p acne’s infection.

So IV antibiotics for 6 weeks then I went in and got a reverse replacement. I’m 5 years since the reverse but I still have pain in both shoulders.

I have an appointment with a doctor at Northwestern next month. I went to see my surgeon who performed the tsr and he said my right needs to be replaced and my left no one locally would take it on after 2 revisions and infection.

My question people who had a reverse shoulder are you able to sleep on that shoulder if yes how long? I can only lay on either of my shoulders for more than 10 minutes. Every morning I wake up and feel like I boxed Mike Tyson that night.

Sorry for the long post

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaycey

ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Bbud101 Welcome to BoneSmart! I changed the title of your thread so that members can directly address your question about being able to sleep after reverse TSR.

Have a read in our shoulder forum. There you will find threads of several members who have had the same surgery recently.

I hope you get some answers regarding this on-going pain very soon.

djklaugh

Staff member since December 30, 2020
BoneSmart Staff
Country
@Bbud101 I'm not sure how it is with reverse implants - I have two standard ones - but I am able to sleep on either side now. It did take about 2-3 months after each surgery to be comfortable sleeping on the new shoulder. One thing I did (and still do) is use 2 pillows piled one on top of the other to elevate the shoulder slightly so I'm not putting full weight on it while I sleep. I can lay down flat on either side -- but that makes my neck ache .... sigh this getting old schtick is NOT for sissies as my Dad use to say.

You have been through so much with your shoulders --- I am so sorry you are still have pain with them! I sure hope the new surgeon can fix things up for you.

Debbie_joints

post-grad
Country
@Bbud101 Oh my, but you certainly have been through the wringer. I am 2 months out today from having a reverse shoulder replacement and I can sleep on the surgery shoulder. But I also use two pillows. Do you have a good recliner? That is what I used up until a little over a week ago. I also padded the seat with a big egg crate foam piece. I know a lady that had to sleep in the recliner and had it moved into her bedroom. Sometimes you just have to sleep where you can get more comfortable. I hope you find comfort and less pain.

Hopeful Manch

Country
@Bbud101 Oh my, but you certainly have been through the wringer. I am 2 months out today from having a reverse shoulder replacement and I can sleep on the surgery shoulder. But I also use two pillows. Do you have a good recliner? That is what I used up until a little over a week ago. I also padded the seat with a big egg crate foam piece. I know a lady that had to sleep in the recliner and had it moved into her bedroom. Sometimes you just have to sleep where you can get more comfortable. I hope you find comfort and less pain.
There’s an idea get a recliner in the bedroom, I’m looking forward to sleeping on my op side with mountains of soft pillows , a few more weeks yet .

Hopeful Manch

Country
Hello all I’m 5weeks post op for my reverse shoulder replacement and I’m still feeling a lot of pain if I have too much of my pain meds it’s a little better but gives me a fuzzy head . I tend to get aches and pain after a good session of phisio at home which is only 10 minutes , stretching table slides stretching my affected arm with the aid of a walking stick because I arm won’t stretch without aid , I don’t do much more that that and I still struggle to sleep comfortably or even sit without a mountain of pillows to take the weight of my arm . Is this Normal am I expecting to much at 5 weeks post op WHEN did the pain die off for you .
Steve from Manchester . Hope all of you that have had a reverse shoulder replacement are in good health and hope your issues all of them small and bid infections too to all of you take care

Debbie_joints

post-grad
Country
Hi Steve, sorry you are still hurting. I am at 12 weeks today. I slept in a recliner with pillows for about two months. I still use plenty of pillows in bed so I am more comfortable. I find sleeping on my non operative side and putting a firm foam pillow under my arm/shoulder that had the replacement, seems to help. It holds it in place better. As for pain medicine, I quit taking it after a couple weeks except when my mom passed and I needed relief because I couldn't sit and relax. But, I do take CBD. Can you have that where you live? It helps with pain and helps me sleep. Been taking it around 4 years. Does not make me fuzzy. Are you still wearing your sling? I had to wear mine for six weeks. Hope you find relief soon.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Catmommy
Recent bookmarks