Can riding the stationary bike cause harm presurgery?

pamsknees

senior
Country
United States United States
I’m trying to get in the best shape possible before I schedule knee replacement , hopefully in Jan. I’ve increased my time on the stationary bike ( can’t do a regular bike as I takes awhile to get started & I fall over). My appointment with the surgeon is not until the end of Nov. I’ve been bone on bone for 5 years now & am ready to get my life back. My knees seem to be getting worse at a faster rate so I want to be sure I’m not causing harm. It doesn’t hurt when I’m riding & in fact feels slightly better after riding but overall way worse then even 6 months ago.

My experience was that the bike was good for me, without reservation. I, too, felt better after riding. I am sure that because it's low impact and rapid movement it improves lubrication within the joint. This may be nonsense, but it feels that way and that was good enough for me. I would carry on, being fit is best for recovery IMO.

Are you having both done together?

@Roy Gardiner thanks ! I was hoping it was more helpful but wanted to be sure. I’ve also started lifting weights to build upper body strength.

ive wavered back & forth on both together & will see what the surgeon says. I fear that it will be more then I can handle by myself.....& once it’s done it can’t be undone. The thought of going thru it twice is sure not appealing though! Such a hard decision - I’m reading lots on this site & reading the first weeks of people’s recovery makes me very aware of what a tough surgery it is.

Last edited:
@Roy Gardiner - yes I will be alone After surgery. I’m single & none of my family lives near.
I know once I recover I will be pleased. Right now my knees limit everything I do. My concern is that first few weeks- will I be able to get from my bed or recliner to the bathroom & manage the ice machine ? I can get grocery deliveries & have friends I can call for help if needed but no one living with me.
I’ve read every bit of your recovery & it gives me hope that I could do it. But then I read other recovery stories & am not sure.

I am very much in favour of BTKR over one at a time. But I had my wife to look after me, so you have a bigger challenge. With BTKR you will be able to get up and get around, slowly, if you're all on one level in your house. Ideally a bathroom will be nearby.

I am so keen on BTKR that I'd suggest hiring help, if only to get food delivered and maybe get some domestic work done (clothes washing, that kind of stuff). Maybe a discussion with those friends close enough to rely on will indicate what level of paid help you might need. Anything but waiting for months to go through it all again, IMO.

@Roy Gardiner no problems on friends bringing food, running laundry etc. I’m fortunate in having some very dear friends.i will hire people to clean house & will board my 2 wild border collies, just keeping the perfect one home. My concern is more the middle of the night needing to go to the bathroom & of being overwhelmed with pain. If I go thru it twice I’m afraid I’d put off the second one & not get the benefit of being able to hike & ride bikes like I want to.

If I go thru it twice I’m afraid I’d put off the second one
Exactly my thinking, me being too chicken to do the 2nd one!
My concern is more the middle of the night needing to go to the bathroom & of being overwhelmed with pain
You won't go home until you can get out of bed, walk a little way, and go up a few stairs. Then as long as your bathroom is nearby, you'll be fine. It won't be easy, but it will be possible.

I’ve sold my farm & am looking at houses tonight- all houses on my list are one story & a bathroom in easy access. I can do hard....... once, I’m not sure I could do it twice which is why bilateral appeals to me. I will see what the surgeon says when I see him Nov 28

@Roy Gardiner My top choice house at this point has one step to a sunroom but no other steps at all......I will look at it again & 2 others & hopefully make an offer. It seems well set up for recovery.

:thumb: Sounds good; all I'd say (and I'm sure you've already thought of this) make sure it's OK for post-recovery too, that you actually like the place!

My orthopedist STRONGLY RECOMMENDS stationary bike pre-surgery. He WANTS me to do it every day but best I can manage is about 5 days a week since I find it boring. I also, with his approval, do leg pushes and the kind of curls where the padded part of the machine is below my ankles and I push down. I can't do the one where the padded roll is on top and I push up. Knees won't take it at all.

@Roy Gardiner I love everything about the place except flooring in 2 rooms which is an easy fix. A huge plus for me is it is 7 houses down from access to hundreds of miles of bike paths. I’m counting on being able to ride a normal bike after surgery- not races like you , just pleasure riding .Just waiting to see if my offer is accepted :).

@Polarbear - good to know! I’ve been riding mine 7 days a week since July- I either read a book or online stuff while riding.Only exception has been this weekend as I’m visiting the painted hills.

I live in a house that has 14 steps up to house and is on 2 floors. After first tkr they let me home after going up steps and using loo not looked back since.And waiting for left knee now I use stationary bike most weeks as well as outdoor bike and swimming all low impact exercise and to stop getting board in house I watch you tube cycling videos one day I will catch Alberto Contador.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts