• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Can limping cause back spasms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
sheryl7

sheryl7

graduate
Country
United States United States
Yes I do like heat very comforting and lessens the pain, but it just wasn't working last night, I must of over done yesterday. Thanks for sharing....Sheryl

kneesrus

Sr Bonesmartie
Sheryl, It sounds like MAYBE your SI joint my be irritated. Now, this will sound very weird coming from a PT, but you may want to go to Chiropractor for a quick adjustment. There are very few PTs that are manual therapist. If it is hurting that much, it probably is not an overuse problem but this may be an alignment issue. Just a suggestion.
Good luck
David

zjrog

post-grad
Country
I had SI issues before TKR. I had a flareup while in therapy, and my PT had me slightly change how I walk. Helped and haven't had an issue in over 6 months. And counting. I can't really describe it other than walking with my butt tucked in a little.

OP
OP
sheryl7

sheryl7

graduate
Country
Thanks Jaycey, yeah last night I was doing both, the heat helped more than the ice. But still not enough to let me sleep, I think I got maybe five hrs sleep broken up through the night. The good thing is that the gel is helping a little bit with the knees, but I am just wasting it putting some on my back because its not helping, I wish I had flexerill or something like that, guess i will call Monday and see if they will prescribe it for me or something to help the spasms. At this point it hurting more than my knees, its constant no let up no matter what I try, just took a hot bath, no luck, gonna try some ice in a little bit, see if I have any luck with it today. Maybe they will have a suggestion at the pt on Tuesday, some kinda streching exercise maybe?
Thanks again for your suggestion, maybe tonight will be a charm and help me...Sheryl

OP
OP
sheryl7

sheryl7

graduate
Country
I just got through with about 25 minutes of frozen peas on my back, it actually feels worse, i don't get it, it helps the knees some why not the back :cry:
I am gonna try some sleepy time teas if see if herbs will help me it has valerian in it has calming effects maybe it will loosen up the back:scratch:

Jazyb

post-grad
Hi Sheryl, I walk with a limp and had SI problems, my Chiropractor sorted it out eventually (long time). I went for xrays and he was able to work out the issue. Pain killers did nothing but I used ice packs. My Chiro gets me to do specific stretching exercises for the problem. It's all good now! While it was bad I would sleep with a pillow under my feet, to raise the legs up - this worked really well for me. It is a horrible pain and I sympathise with you.
Take care.
Jo

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I never found ice helped on my back - nice hot water bottle always did the trick though! :wink1:

PhoenixS

post-grad
Country
My 2 cents.
Limping and a crooked pelvis can mess up your back. I am currently dealing with awful back stuff now. (back issues predated the knee)

I sleep with my hips at a 90 degree angle, knees bent, up on pillows.
I got Soma, valium and percocet from my PCP (I do not take the Soma and Valium together).

I love love love my heating pad.

I tried to tough it out without the pain meds and muscle relaxers and that was/is a no go.
I'd recommend seeing your PCP for some meds to take on nights when nothing else helps.
Back pain is the pits.
Sandy

OP
OP
sheryl7

sheryl7

graduate
Country
Jazyb Thanks for the sympathizing, I know I am not alone with all this pain, Im sorry others have to experience it too, but I am glad there are people out there I can communicate with that understand what Im going through, and likewise I would like to help others with their journey through this too. I might get a chiropractor. Going to see what happens with therapy starting tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for the tip Josephine> I have an idea why the ice wont help the back, im thinking because its more of a muscle strain spasming in there and the ice just contracts the spasms even more, where as the heat seems to loosen it up a bit.

Train wreck I love my heating pad too, use it on my back and knees too, it just seems to give me more relief, I am going to try asking the OS for some soma to help relieve those muscles in my back. I sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees. Are you on your back when you sleep, im guessing you are if you are at a 90 degree angle. I usually cant fall asleep on my back but maybe with the pillows helping me i can try it, the only times i have to sleep on my back have been after surgery when i got to have my knees elevated after the the arthroscopic and lateral release on my knees, it was ok for me , however I was pain meds (percocet and it did help with the pain so I could sleep ok.
I really don't think think doctor is gonna give me pain meds, seems very conservative, that's why I am trying to do the therapy he reccomended and the gel for my knees which helps a little for a short period of thime, its so expensive, one tube will not last more than 2 weeks if that. I took a mobic this morning even though it gives me stomach cramps it does kinda help with the pain, I took it with a couple of zantacs and a reglan to help the stomach. Ok sorry to go on will post how PT comes along if its gonna help or not..... Thanks for the support everyone....Sheryl:doggieshmooze:

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Sheryl....you never have to apologize for your posts. They are NOT long and we are here to listen! So keep writing and we'll be here for you!

OP
OP
sheryl7

sheryl7

graduate
Country
Thanks Jamie:biggrin:
I finally got some relief last night, I sat on the couch for awhile on the heating pad, and spasms loosened up a bit for me.
Today has been rough on my left knee I been using to crutch the right knee while going up and down the stairs. So now the left one hurts a little more, and even with the volteren gel, it kinda throbbed today, i don't using have a lot of throbbing , just an ache when i am resting, and bone on bone feeling when im am using the stairs. Some how I must be over doing the left knee.
I am a little nervous about my first PT appt tomorrow. My husband feel confident that they will let me return and waive the co-pay and take what the insurance will back them, after a pay the full co-pay tomorrow, I just hope it helps.
I will post tomorrow about it.....Thanks....Sheryl

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Glad you're feeling a bit better!!!

OP
OP
sheryl7

sheryl7

graduate
Country
thanks Jamie, I actually feel pretty good this morning, lets hope it last til my pt appt:wink1:...Sheryl

newnee

graduate
Country
I would say the answer to that question is a big yes. I had been doing too much the last day or so I was off from work so I decided to spend some time with the grandkids. Did more walking than I usually do. Today I went to the store and I nearly collapsed I had a back spasm so bad I could not move fortunately it passed. It was scary but fortunately for this forum I knew what was going on so I rode the spasm out.

OP
OP
sheryl7

sheryl7

graduate
Country
Hi Mary i am sorry you had such a bad back spasm, lets hope it stays passed...take care ....Sheryl

Jazyb

post-grad
Hi Sheryl, I wondered how you were doing with your back issue and is the PT helping out in anyway (with knee or back)?
Jo

OP
OP
sheryl7

sheryl7

graduate
Country
Jazyb, Good Morning. Yes my back was starting to feel better til last night started spasming up real bad last night. The only thing I did different was go in the pool for a few hours, not really swimming much though, just relaxing.
As far as knees are going, no change at all, is not worse so thats a plus side. Although gonna tell him to stop digging in my knee that hurts to much. Thanks for asking:wink1:....

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
knee2hip
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom