BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Can I still be a nurse with double replacements?

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by jkg286, Dec 29, 2018.

1. jkg286

jkg286 new member

United States United States
    I’m currently in nursing school, about to hit my second year. I have avascular necrosis in both hips. I will eventually need replacements on both (although it has surprisingly been 6+ years since diagnosis and hardly any pain. Even at stage III). Will I be able to be a nurse with my replacements?

2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Of course you will. Why would you think you couldn't? Once those hips are replaced and you are recovered you won't even think about them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

I have only had one replacement but I can honestly say the replaced hit feels exactly the same as the one not replaced. There are some on here that have had both done at the same time. You’ll see posts from one of the administrators, @Mojo333 , and she is the first one that comes to mind. She had both done at same time, a bilateral, so if you read her thread, you will find how much she hurt before the surgery and how wonderful she now feels. She runs a food bank which requires a lot of physical activity on her part and she is able to do her job so much easier after her bilateral. Wishing you well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi. :chuckmarch:
    I'm certainly on my feet alot and have a very physical job.
    My hips take me wherever I need to go now, with no problems.
    I had to be careful when first returning to work so it definitely takes time to get strength and stamina back.
    I also try to edit myself, sometimes unsuccessfully, with lifting heavy items...my back can still hurt.
    But I'm truly double hippy happy with my BTHR!:ok:

• Like Like x 1
  5. jkg286

jkg286 new member

I think my issue is I’m going off a lot of myths and misconceptions about hip replacements. I’m still in early research phases because I’ve put this off for quite some time. When I got my diagnosis at 20 I was like yeah right!!

I just have this image in my head of turning a patient and popping a hip right out! Which is much more likely in my current hip health state, but my brain can be a little irrational.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

One of our super stars here at BoneSmart had her THR at age 24 and was back to dancing 4 months later. She checks in occasionally and her last update was to report the birth of her son. You will get your life back after this amazing surgery. No more worries about bad hips.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

Absolutely you will! And your experience will make all the better of a nurse of you! It's been my observation over the years that nurses and doctors that have had surgery of any sort make much better carers as a result! One f the best hip surgeons I ever worked with had had both his hips done though at different times. You'll do fine!

Though perhaps you'd like to tell me what those myths were and where you found them?

8. Hip Hip Hooray!

Hip Hip Hooray! post-grad

I had both of my hips replaced three years ago, and I can no longer do any heavy lifting. If I do, I really pay for it. (even now.) I was a professional dancer and my OS said that I could still teach dance, but I could tell that he didn't want me dancing like I used to do. In my case, I don't think I could handle the demands of a nursing job. I would listen to your intuition. If you have other interests, it's a good time to develop them. Sometimes a new career can be very exciting.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

I disagree. Nursing is a whole other thing from dancing!

I've known many, many nurses who had their hips done (one or both) and carried on nursing well past what had been their official retirement age of 60. Now no longer of course, because the UK government god rid of it about 2008, two years after I was forced to retire! They got their hips done 'ahead of the pack' because my training school, the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, was doing hip replacements some 15 or more years before any other hospitals.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Going4fun

Going4fun member

@Hip Hip Hooray!, I'm surprised to hear that your surgeon recommended limits on dancing. My surgeon absolutely thrilled at the idea of me going back to dance. Swing dance is my hobby and my inability to do it anymore (without serious pain) was one reason I opted for the surgery.

I have never heard of a surgeon banning dancing. I've heard of them banning running, but not dancing. And increasingly, they don't ban running. My surgeon doesn't ban running at all. He's quite confident that the new materials will last. And he's not a freak case.

Very interesting.

@jkg286, have you talked to surgeon about nursing after your replacements? I cannot imagine they would say you cannot. The whole purpose of the surgery for many people these days is that we can be mobile and move well without pain. I know one prominent hip replacement surgeon who had his own hip replaced by a colleague ... He was back to work in seven weeks. I'm determined to dance and run with mine--with the total blessing of my surgeon.

11. kangaroo

kangaroo graduate

My doctor said....
    "You can do anything you like....i dont care at all....hut you are not to jump out of a plane"