Can I run again if I have surgery either partial or full knee replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I googled that and got a load of links to an Indian Hospital that was advertising itself and then links to blogs and other websites were surgeons were telling people in no uncertain terms "NO running"!

Give me a link to Randy Rendon's site, would you, Bonnie?

I eas presented with a release yesterday that said not to worry but I understand that I will get an infection, blood clod and likely die after surgery.

I also admitted that I know I can.t run or ski or... and if I do, it ain't their fault whenevil things happen and they did not promise anything else either.

Aren;t insurace companies and lawyers fun people who add to the quality of treatment we receive.
(I do have a law degree, but no longer practice)

For me, teaching school is a far more satisfactory, if not lucrative, way to give back.

Bonnie...I so enjoyed reading about your marathon experience. Mine has always been on the sidelines cheering the runners as they pass the midway point.

I encourage you to allow yourself to heal and then test and try that new knee. I doubt you will wear it out!

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery!:friends:

It was an article that came up when I googled, from a newspaper in Austin, Texas about Randy Rendon. I have since contacted the one of the people in charge of our Houston Marathon Veteran's to see if I can get a contact address for him. As soon as I have something I will pass along Josephine.

:doggieshmooze:Bonnie

I googled that and got a load of links to an Indian Hospital that was advertising itself and then links to blogs and other websites were surgeons were telling people in no uncertain terms "NO running"!

Give me a link to Randy Rendon's site, would you, Bonnie?

Thanks, Bonnie! Good addition to our 'celebrity knees' thread!:THUMB:

Josephine,
In the link posted it says Rendon used a "teflon and metal ball joint" and he ran a mile two weeks post surgery.

Do you know what "joint" that is?

We get some amazing recovery stories, but two weeks and 1 mile?

Josephine and Gene, I found Randy Rendon on Facebook. I sent him a note and a friend request, and am waiting to hear back from him. I don't know how often he gets on there so hopefully I will hear back from him, I'd like to ask him to come to our forum and tell us more about himself.

As I did with Dick Beardsley. He accepted my friendship request but hasn't yet been here! :WINK1:

As for the telfon knee joint, I'm very confused about that as
1. it says "ball" which usually means hip not knee and
2. Teflon was used temporarily in the 80/90s for cruciate ligament replacement/repairs but they weren't very successful.

It's actually a substance called PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene - trade name Gortex) and the only surgical application I know of nowadays is for sutures in vascular and heart surgery. I certainly don't know and haven't been able to find any evidence of a total knee replacement being made of it. I certainly wouldn't want one. My impression is that possibly Randy once had a PTFE cruciate ligament repair and the author has got his facts confused, as evidenced by his use of the term 'ball' joint!

Gosh, Bonnie....so sorry you are sick. I hope you get to feeling better soon!!! Take care of yourself.

Thank you Jamie and getting better none too soon! Today is the first day since Thursday that I have not had fever. I have been getting LOTS of sleep and woke up today feeling better than I have all week. You see tomorrow is "Joint Camp" for me and I didn't want to miss it. I also pre register tomorrow (and hand over the 20%) and do blood work. Wow, what a difference a day makes! I am ready willing and able to go. I'll report back to you all about 'joint camp' tomorrow!

Bonnie :doggieshmooze:

I heard back from Randy Rendon, I will post below what he said. I have since written back to him and asked him more questions. Maybe he will come to Bone Smart too. Read below:
Bonnie :doggieshmooze:

Randy Rendon March 8 at 10:51am
Hi Bonnie. Yes, I did have a knee replacement in July, 2007 and did not have to break my Houston marathon streak which is now 27. At my age my goal list gets shorter but thank God I still have some. My recovery time was relatively short (1 month) because I was walking while I was still in the hospital. Determined to return as quickly as possible but with a lot of care and professional advice. I was told by my doctor that my other knee was no prize but I have not had any problems in 4 years and my replaced knee is wonderful. Sometimes I think it runs on it's own. My advice is have the procedure done and since you are in such good shape look at exercising as soon as possible. It took an hour longer to run the marathon 6 months after my surgery but I am now back to 4 hours and working on a 3:30 at the Bid D Marathon. Please understand I am a very determined runner and my example is probably not a good one. Even my current doctor here in Austin finds my success inspirational. First doctor I ever inspired! But I truly can say I am blessed and will run till my legs fall off. Best wishes on your plans and please stay in touch. I would love to hear about your experience. Randy Rendon

Cool! I'm still chasing down info on his Teflon knee. I phoned the clinic he went to yesterday and spoke with the surgeon's nurse. She couldn't get the name of the knee but knew it was a Zimmer so I rang Zimmer UK and am waiting to hear from the rep!

Wow, Bonnie....what a nice response. He is truly amazing.

Wow wow wow Bonnie! Randy Rendon is just the person I was hoping to find and you found him!!!

I haven't been here for awhile but I see your TKR date is March 28. I will be in Europe for 2 weeks (and on that date) but will try to catch you "on the other side" - the recovery forum - when I get a chance. I'm so glad you're beginning your comeback :)

I think it's wonderful you've produced a family of marathoners and runners in your children. Only a mother (or father) could have gone to the start line like you did for your daughter's first marathon alone. Sometimes what we do for others is a lot more important than our own disappintments. You and I would both call not being able to run marathons our own tragedies -- but then we would understand each other. I know so many people who have gone through terrible tragedies that nothing can "fix" --- and I hesitate to use that word loosely. But everything is relative and being a marathoner was who I was (as well as a journalist). Finishing marathons gave me a kind of strength I have been able to tap for just about every difficult job or situation. I'm sure you feel the same way....

Anyhow -- get the surgery done, do exactly what the surgeon tells you. Get good PT right away and don't overdo it but do all your exercises faithfully. I think Randy said he had a lot of professional help rehabbing. You can set yourself back by overdoing it and set yourself back by not doing enough; it's a balancing act and your body will tell you.

I tried running about 6 months after the surgery and it didn't feel right so I stopped. I waited another 2 months and then tried again and it was OK. But the more my quad strength on the TKR knee came back, the more evenly I ran and the better I felt. I said earlier I now feel a license to run (the study and the runners) so I am beginning to try to put a mile together before stopping to walk. We'll see. This discussion about running is really inspiring!!!

Good luck with the surgery; my doctor had me "walking' (the length of the hospital room) the night of the surgery. It felt great!!! When you take your first steps you'll know you've done the right thing and you're on your way to running again!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks