BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Can anyone relate to this pain please

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by angilee, Jul 10, 2018.

1. angilee

angilee junior member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

I have hip impingement and arthritis and been managing OK until recently, I have been getting an intermittent sharp pain in the groin, strangely only when walking down a slope/incline. Is this typical of arthritis pain or would this type of pain suggest it is the impingement causing it? I realise no-one can give a definitive reason for this and I do have an appointment booked with my Doctor...but everything I have read regarding hip arthritis does not suggest a sharp pain like this. Can anyone relate?

2. mich1973

mich1973 new member

United States United States
    Yes, I relate. I have a very degenerative hip due to osteoarthritis. The pain in the groin is a very hard pulling sensation and tender.

3. dlp

dlp senior

I've read some articles that mention sharp pains - at least with osteoarthritis. The general common type often seems to be described more as an ache/throbbing, but sharp stabbing pain has also been listed. I would get sharp pains from arthritis quite often in the early days, before I even knew what that I was dealing with it. It was my early indicator that I ignored for too long :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. miscverb

miscverb junior member

i get those sharp pains there. mostly after a fair amount of activity but also at random times. i have been diagnosed with moderate OA.

5. angilee

angilee junior member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi, Thank you those who have replied to my thread. I'm confused really, thought more people here would have experienced this if it's down to arthritis?

6. Bchbum4evr

Bchbum4evr member

@angilee- I too have the sharp pains, but no pain in my groin. OA affects everyone differently. Are you questioning whether you've been misdiagnosed?

I've had many times where I'm stopped in my tracks from the sharp pain.

7. dlp

dlp senior

Yep - that used to happen to me quite often with both of my hips. After a while, the sudden sharp occasional pains turned into mostly constant aches, and a deep deep "fire" in my groin on my left side.

As @Bchbum4evr mentions, it affects people differently. For me, it's been different with both hips, and at different times. My right hip is a constant source of pain around a 2, with bursts up to 6 or 7. But it hasn't caused any sharp pain in probably 4 years. Left hip came out of nowhere and decided it wanted more attention, despite looking like it was in better shape,

8. DuncanWA

DuncanWA junior member

That is my classic sign - deep stabbing pain upon standing or increasingly walking... LTHR 4-ish years ago started because I thought I had a pinched nerve deep inside the inside part of my thigh kinda under and slightly to the side of the daddy parts. Went to ortho and films showed bone on bone. Replaced about 2 months later. Scheduled for RTHR in 1 week and while I get SOME of those groin stabs, I'm getting more back pain, outside hip pain, knee pain and pressure where the joint bends.

Most of us have developed these pains slowly through the years so keep an eye on other things that may be hurting after years of potentially over-compensating for a diseased hip!