PKR Calm Alice's Recovery

You are still early enough in recovery that you should nap/sleep whenever and wherever you can, @InkedMarie. Sleep is essential for proper healing and fatigue can slow your recover. So, nap away!
Ha! Not long after I commented, I took a nap. We’re at our camper; first time I’ve napped here!

Marie

One story home here. I went to the futon because I wasn’t comfortable in the bed nor either recliner in living room. Futon was set up as a couch, not opened up. I was desperate!

Marie

Last edited by a moderator:
So, a few years ago I bought a $99 Zero Gravity lawn chair and put it in the backyard. Turns out, it's the best chair for elevating and I love being outside!
Sleep: Couldn't sleep well last night, as I didn't nap at all yesterday. At least I watched a really good movie about Marilyn Monroe. I'll try to nap today.

I'm thinking my gut health has been unfavorably rocked by the onslaught of pain relievers (even though I'm now only on Tylenol and a small aspirin) as well as the lack of usual activity. Elevation, ice and naps seem to be the best thing, so I'm going to see if I can work the Tylenol into the days I go to PT.

I return to PT tomorrow (dread dread) and will have a long talk to the PT about last week, which was just a setback.
Anyway, how are you?

You should not have to dread going to PT. That's certainly a sign that your PT isn't doing you any good, especially since you had a setback. Who needs that?! Be firm with your PT and if he/she doesn't listen then just walk out. You should not put up with that.

Well, it's all communication, isn't it? If I don't go, then two things happen: I set things back by not letting the PT know what went wrong, and what I don't want to do. I don't allow them the chance to respond and set things on a track to a more positive path. So as much as I dread it, I also know that I'm in the driver's seat, and given the info I've gotten here, that it is possible to work with people charged to help me.

Really looking forward to getting back to the gym in a few months time. Big work meeting in Chicago in September (after not having them for 2 years) and am looking forward to that.

So true and a very good plan.

3 weeks out. I hope everyone here is in good health and mind.
Yesterday, went into PT with my punch list of things to discuss w/ the PT.
It all went VERY well and we worked together. Ah, it was great. He adjusted and massaged the knee, moving the patella, and overall, the flexion came out to 110º though not without great effort. he said that it would be normal, to have better weeks than others and that the 110 was for measurements, but the trick was using all my muscle groups to ensure that my gait was correct using the strength I'd gotten in the Mobility.& Strength class.

I felt great last night and as expected, a bit stuff this morning. I continue with my exercises, as well as new ones to stretch out my quads.
I'm still walking the longer distances with a walker, in part because it disperses the weight better and shifts the energy forward. That way I'm not tempted to do a hobble walk, which is much better for my recovery. I can walk without anything, but just find I take my time and focus on proper gait by using my core, and leg muscles.
Still icing, and alternating between CBD cream (5000 mg) and China Gel rubs. Self massage really is a great thing.

Gait is so important to your long term recovery! You are smart to focus on getting that right rather than rushing to give up the walker.

I used my cane for a long time until both my OS and my PT told me that I walked better without the cane.
I was reluctant to give it up because I didn't want to end up with a penguin waddle...:happyfeet:

Gait is so important to your long term recovery!
Yeah, prior to surgery, my surgeon makes everyone enroll in a strength & mobility class. We worked on everything, but I used to have to walk on a line, heel to toe back and forth while holding a big ball! I called it the DUI walk of shame and told them that if I ever got pulled over by the cops I'd do fine!
Now, it's all paying off.
The walker is also good for house keeping. I pile everything on it and push it around and deposit it to some other pile in another part of the house!
I just did a downward dog at the end of my leg stretching and lifts. Boy, that felt great!
The cane is GREAT for when the falcons come down and terrorize the smaller birds in my yard. I go out and wave it and they take off and don't come back for a week or so!

ROM: 122 during PT.
SLEEP: Okay. I can sleep about 4-5 hours before I have to wake up, and change positions, drink water, and ice a bit. Then I fall back asleep for 3 hours.
Had my first zoom meeting for work, while elevating in the Zero Gravity Chair. We're planning the company wide meeting in Chicago for September, so there's no rest for the weary..
Had a session with a different PT, which I think is not a bad idea to look at the styles of different ones. This one was like going to a coach. He was fun, talked a lot about the surgery, and I really did the exercises and enjoyed them. Went over to the parallel bars, and he showed me how to walk with a cane, though also said with all the training I'd done over on the wellness side of the gym prior to surgery, that I just had to focus and take my time. I shouldn't need anything. The walker can be used if I'm going out so that I have something to sit on when I need it.
Tight today, but using the CBD cream, deep massage, and taking Tylenol (1000 mg) before I go to bed. Will eliminate Tylenol this week to take 3000 mg CBD 10: 1 TCH tincture for inflammation and relaxation.
I find my elbow makes a great thing to massage the quad with when I find a really tight spot.
Setting up a gym area with free weights and bands for upper body and core work (that the dog can't get to this time. Turns out he moved the weights to the grass).
This will be it for awhile! Hope all are doing well.

Last edited:
It's been a terrific week.
Had PT on Monday and Wednesday. Did a lot of work to continue strengthening the muscles and also working on ROM. On Monday, I was beat, and Wednesday too. However, today I was able to go out to lunch with a neighbor (fabulous Korean food), rest, and then do a 23 minute yoga class online for people after knee replacement surgery.
I did yoga for 12 years, and stopped when I got thyroid eye disease and could no longer do inversions. But hey, I'm back with modified yoga. Also watched Bob & Brad's list of 5 mistakes people make after knee replacement. I always appreciate their rather slow but intentional videos on PT.

Still using the Breg machine. Am also having positive results using Voltaren NSAID cream 4x a day around the knee. Inflammation is like a thing of the past. Pain is minimal. I can't take oral NSAID's because of they're tough on my kidneys, so this cream was recommended because it stays local. Also, the .50 mg of 10:1 CBD/THC tincture is just awesome. There's no high, but there is a sense of relaxation that is just pretty awesome.

This weekend, I'm going to the last Bridgerton Ball here in L.A. It'll be a blast, and I'm bringing my fancy walker so that I have something to sit on, and I just find I walk more smoothly with the walker. Plus, I can wheel around piles of laundry in the house, and even took it outside to do a little snipping of plants in the garden for 15 mins.
Hope all is well with everyone. Keep smashing whatever it is you wanna smash.
I'll check in next week sometime.
Be well!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks