Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

TKR Calf pain - knee related?

selketine

Country
United States United States
I've posted here quite some time ago. Both of my knees are bad and my activity is limited. I can go shopping and do housework but being on my feet for more than an hour becomes very painful. I really cannot walk any distance or "take a walk" to enjoy the weather for example. My HMO won't do a TKR until I'm older (60 and I'm a few years away still). I have been getting steroid shots in my knees for several years now - usually every 4 months.

I've had a new issue in my left left which is calf pain. It sort of feels like a cramp but not exactly and I don't think it is. It can hurt more when my knee is bent like when I'm sitting in a chair. It also happens when I'm sleeping and often wakes me up. It doesn't seem to happen if I'm sitting in a recliner with my feet up however - so it does seem to be positional maybe? I've had sciatica on that side in the past which usually is more back/hip for me. I'm not having any sciatic pain at the moment - at all. This is more like a burning on the back of my calf. Any ideas on what this is? Knee related? It's been this way now about 3 weeks and is worse with more activity. I don't have it in my right calf. It's bad enough I'm considering a doctor's appointment just for this - I can't figure it out!

Sara61

Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
@selketine would you not consider getting a second opinion, from another surgeon ? nowadays knee replacement surgery is common with younger patients, my surgeon was of the opinion one should enjoy life to the fullest, the new joint components now often last 20-30 years with normal use. I was 58 when I had mine done and it was the best decision I ever made :) :-) (:
Regarding your calf pain, I used to suffer mainly at night similar pain and found if I increased my intake of magnesium it would get better, bananas are a good source if you don't want to take supplements.
Hope you find a solution soon xx

OP
OP
selketine

selketine

Country
@selketine would you not consider getting a second opinion, from another surgeon ?
I would in a hot second but with our HMO we cannot go outside of it for care (unless the HMO doesn't have that sort of doctor which is rare). All the orthopedic doctors work together and they won't go against each other from what I've found. One of my sons has some serious chronic health issues that are very expensive to treat on a monthly basis and the HMO does a great job with that and pays 100% of the costs. Our other health plan options would leave us paying a lot more so it would be hard to justify moving out of our plan. Believe me I'm not opposed to having surgery now - I've had serious problems with my knees for over 4 years at this point and it's depressing having missed so much with my kids and just the feeling of not being able to do what I should be able to do. Every step is painful. I've sometimes thought I would opt for amputation if they offered it. So. Very. Tired.

Thanks for the magnesium tip - I will try that! I take a multivitamin with mag but I don't think it could hurt to take a reasonable supplement to it. I've not had any pain like this before but it's just the left leg.

Sara61

Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
@selketine I'm sorry to hear that, coming from Europe we have a different health system. But saying that I did have gel injections (Hyaluronic acid) for at least 5 years, they did help but eventually my surgeon agreed to operate.
I do hope you find relief soon, let me know how you get on with the "bananas" I actually make 'banana cake" weekly and count that in as my magnesium uplifter :heehee:

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I do hope you find relief soon, let me know how you get on with the "bananas" I actually make 'banana cake" weekly and count that in as my magnesium uplifter :heehee:
I love banana cake--hmm, I could justify it for the magnesium...:heehee:

As for the calf pain that feels kind of like a cramp, I think I had some pre-tkr due to the fact that my gait was off due to the bad knee.
I have also heard sometimes your magnesium or potassium is out of balance or you're dehydrated. If it doesn't improve it never hurts to check it out with your pcp.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LauraP2016
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom