Knee Infection* Cakes 2114 - Knee Recovery Thread

So a week ago I had my IV antibiotics switch from vancomycin to daptomycin. According to the ID I was metabolizing the vancomycin too quickly.
I also have stopped the oxycodone. I was getting headaches and super unclear kind of like a brain fog when in them. They have switched me to Tramadol.
I have gotten word I can also have my second surgery hopefully the week of June 29th but will find out this coming week on when the final stage of the revision will be. More than likely I will be stopping IV meds on June 14th. Does anyone know how the PICC line is handled once one has stopped IV meds and before the next surgery? Do you flush daily still? I have word into the doctor on this question but figured someone here may have experience with this:what:

9DD2E4C4-E27F-4705-81B2-39585BBE9E46.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know how the PICC line is handled once one has stopped IV meds and before the next surgery? Do you flush daily still? I have word into the doctor on this question but figured someone here may have experience with this
I think you would still need to flush it daily, to keep it patent, in case it is needed again.
Once they're sure you won't need any more IV meds it will probably be removed.

Does anyone know how the PICC line is handled once one has stopped IV meds and before the next surgery? Do you flush daily still? I have word into the doctor on this question but figured someone here may have experience with this
I think you would still need to flush it daily, to keep it patent, in case it is needed again.
Once they're sure you won't need any more IV meds it will probably be removed.

That is my assumption too. I am also wondering if they can use that line for the second revision surgery and not run a separate IV.:fingersx:

Does anyone have a suggestion on what to put on their scar? I am dry, itchy and flaky stage but paranoid with what I am putting on the scar.

Any suggestions?

My picc line was removed while I waited for new tkr.
My first picc line moved out of place after several weeks. I had to have a new one, and it was placed in my other arm.

I was initially on vancomycin, then switched to daptomycin. Unfortunately I developed rhabdomyolysis from it and was hospitalized.
Please be aware of any muscle pain and let your doctor know. I thought I had just slept wrong,, and my severe stiff neck was because of that. Within a couple days i had severe pain in many muscles, and could not lift my arms or use my hands. Very scary and was a life threatening situation.. You can go to my profile page and read my long journey through infection and two stage revision.

Best wishes for a speedy and successful treatment.

My picc line was removed while I waited for new tkr.
My first picc line moved out of place after several weeks. I had to have a new one, and it was placed in my other arm.

I was initially on vancomycin, then switched to daptomycin. Unfortunately I developed rhabdomyolysis from it and was hospitalized.
Please be aware of any muscle pain and let your doctor know. I thought I had just slept wrong,, and my severe stiff neck was because of that. Within a couple days i had severe pain in many muscles, and could not lift my arms or use my hands. Very scary and was a life threatening situation.. You can go to my profile page and read my long journey through infection and two stage revision.

Best wishes for a speedy and successful treatment.

thanks for the information! I definitely start feeling alone in this journey and it is good to hear other people who have gone through an infection and revision situation.
I will be on the lookout for rhabdomyolysis. My daughter had it when she was younger so I am definitely aware of the severity.

How did you know your PICC moved? Mine came out a little the other day and the nurse who comes once a week pushed it back in about a half inch... that was interesting!

While I was in the hospital for the rhabdomyolysis, one of the nurses felt there was too much extra picc line sticking out than normal. An xray was ordered, and showed the picc had moved 6" !!

Hang in there!

Well done getting your surgery date @Cakes2114 ! I'll get you added to the June surgery group.

While I was in the hospital for the rhabdomyolysis, one of the nurses felt there was too much extra picc line sticking out than normal. An xray was ordered, and showed the picc had moved 6" !!

Hang in there!

Wow that’s pretty far... I am hoping there is no more movement I have 12 more days of IV antibiotics so the end is in sight!!

Just dropping in:wave:
Tomorrow is pre-op and my hopefully final surgery will be on June 29th!!
I had my PICC taken out a little over a week ago. It honestly was not that bad coming out. The anticipation was worse then the removal.
I have been a little sore the past two days but I am sure it is from doing more then before and less pain meds.

I cannot wait for this final section of a two staged revision so I can get along with some real healing and back to life (driving, walking, real physical therapy).
I also cannot believe they are going to be cutting through my scar once again and I will have to heal all over again. Nearly 7 weeks ago I started the first segment of the two staged knee revision journey and now I see some end (though the road still feels so long).

Last edited by a moderator:
You are on the road to the end of this journey! Good luck today.

Hi everyone!
The second stage on my infected total knee revision occurred today.
I do not want to jinx it but things have gone well.
Anesthesia was great this time. In May during the first stage I threw up for about 14 hours. I had a different anesthesiologists today. He has reviewed my file and had a new game plane that did not include Oxy. It totally worked with tramadol. Nerve blockers and a drip (I cannot remember the name of the drug now but it focuses on reducing inflammation. They also decided the continuous drip was part of the issue so now I have a button to push every ten minutes or when needed.

I am staying in the hospital 2-3 days. Which stinks but it is good since I have 3 kids at home.

Physical therapy begins tomorrow. I cannot wait to put some weight on my knee. I have been in a locked brace at a maximum 45 degrees when I was sleeping.

I do have a brace again But I can already walk with the brace up to 45 degrees.
So some progress:yay:

I need to find out if I am going home with an antibiotic. I also just had a yeast infection I am sure do to the IV antibiotics. I tried Monistat but I may ask someone about the one day pill - Iam sure the recovery is delayed to to a catheter and surgery. But overall things are going well. I am hoping PT stays on a positive direction:)

@Cakes2114 so happy to hear it all went well for you, fingers crossed that recovery will go smoothly for you. Enjoy hospital rest and being looked after, I can imagine with 3 children at home it can't be easy :thud:
Here in Portugal we can get a 1 day Canesten pill for yeast infection, it is fast working (best to use it at night ) it's non prescriptive so you can purchase it at any chemist, I'm sure you can purchase it in the States, as you said I am sure it's from the antibiotics I always have the same problem xx
Take care and speedy recovery yet remember the "golden rules" plenty of rest, loads of ice and gentle exercises and allow your body to heal slowly :flwrysmile:

Congrats on a successful next step!!! Here’s to healing!

Hi all!
I am back home. This is definitely interesting having two major surgeries so close together.
I was feeling great after 5 weeks ago n stage 2 of the two stage revision. Yes it was annoying not putting full weight in my leg but I managed.
Now I have started over. Having trouble sleeping at night. Pain, zingers, trying to ice as much as I can but knowing four days ago I felt great and now I am hurting.

I definitely need to get on a pain management schedule. Sometimes you forget how easy it is in a hospital when you make a simply reques; like can I have my pain med now and it magically shows up in 5-10 minutes.
Also you forget the pain sometimes. Like it is tough the first two weeks. I was also in the hospital for stage 1 for five days. Those are some of the toughest days after a knee replacement. This time I am home.

i really needs to get a handle on the pain meds and it will help if I have - pain management schedule for the first couple of weeks.
I also need to slow down and be ok with being on crutches - I want to walk so badly with no ambulatory help but it is not realistic yet.

I am so bad with meeting myself where I am physically at the time and where I want to be.

PS they did give me a yeast infection pill in the hospital. I feel much better in that facet a day after took the yeast infection pill.

Last week when I was reading a few posts I came upon one that had a few options for a pain med schedule.
I cannot find it right now but was wondering if anyone could help share.
I am currently on Dilaudid 1-2 MG tablets every 4-6 hours and acetaminophen 1-2 500 MG every 6 hours.

I definitely need some schedule because the pain is creeping up fast. So if anyone has a good schedule I would love to see it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back