Cabbage leaves - topical use for swelling etc

Poppet

Nutritional Advisor
Country
Australia Australia
Cabbage is part of the Brassica family and is known to have the following properties and actions..
  • anti-inflammatory
  • antibacterial
  • antirheumatic
  • heals tissues by encouraging cells to proliferate
  • a liver decongestant
  • protects the stomach from gastric hydrochloric acid
With key components such as..
  • vitamins and minerals (especially A, B, C, E, calcium, sulfur, silica, magnesium, iodine, iron, and phosphorus)
  • chlorophyll
  • mustard oils *****
In a Greek ritual, cabbage was given to expectant mothers to eat shortly before birth in order to establish good breast-milk production, a practice that is carried out by women of many cultures still today. And yes it was used for engorged breasts.

Extensive modern research largely confirms its ancient use in folk medicine. Ingesting it has been shown to stimulate the immune system and the production of antibodies. Its sulfur compounds are largely responsible for its antiseptic, antibiotic, and disinfectant actions, particularly in the respiratory system. And, an amino acid, methionine predominantly found in raw cabbage, is responsible for promoting healing effects.

As far as using it on your incision area it is true externally cabbage leaves have a soothing antiseptic and healing effect and the ability to draw out toxins from the skin. Cabbage poultices are also excellent for sore throats and hot, swollen joints. One would lightly crush the leaves, blanch in boiling water, cool and wrap around the area.

CAUTION: *******
Due to the mustard oils in the leaves of cabbage, there is a chance that it may blister the skin.

Would I use it.. probably not, but that would only be because I am sensitive with topical applications and have been known to blister extensively from a bandaid.. also I would be concerned about any chemicals and sprays that may have been used in the growing of the cabbages. Infection and blistering would be my concern! Eat it by all means, not while on blood thinning medications though or if you have other general health issues which limit eating them.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom