Bilateral THR ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello dear and wonderful friends!
Kim22 Songlady LeeApril26 (did you travel lately?) Peaches (dear, funny one ) Butterfly (you're having your surgery soon!) Poppet (how are you feeling?) Nannyannie (how's the water therapy?)
zauberflöte (how's the kitties?) Liveringer (are you horseshoeing?) sandybeach Littlejem (how's the Canadian) sqwerlie (how's YOUR Canadian ;) YogaGirl sandpiper nmay51 and whoever else that was nice enough to come and visit the GoshPorch when I've been so astray.

How are you all doing? I have yet to read your posts, but I'm here and I'm doing okay! The prednisone has given me back most of my life and I'm so thankful! I just can't get enough of being up and about. It's a joy just to do laundry (I know, that's hard to believe!) and to be able to run an errand, and take a short walk with the dogs. I laid on the couch in pain for so long, I vowed never to go back, no matter what. It's obvious that I do have some sort of soft tissue inflammation/tendonitis because the prednisone is helping. I've been on it now for 6 weeks and am slowly weaning off of it. I don't know what will happen as I cut the dose more and more, because I still have pain, somedays quite a bit, but I'm confident that there will be an answer and I can continue to move forward.

As I got back into more normal activity, I felt my body getting back to near normal for me. I became less stiff, more limber, stronger, more flexible the more and more I moved about. Now except for the days of pain, I'm about 75% or more back to my old me. This may be as good as it's going to get, but as long as I can get up and move, do things without severe pain, it's all good. I'll take it.

I manage to go "swimming" every day, and it's been good. I use a waist buoy and sort of "bicycle" or "jog" down the lane. It feels a lot better on my hip/groin area that being face down in the water trying to swim. There's a lot less pull on my hip area, and it has strengthened my leg muscles a lot. I also do stretches and leg exercises, gently, and water walk. I think it's very good therapy for the hips - it give lots of easy muscle exercise without the weight of gravity, like walking on the sidewalks. It certainly helped me.

Well, my youngest GoshGirl is back at college and doing well. She seems all recovered from here surgery, and has a follow up appointment this week. My GoshHusband has his lung surgery scheduled for Nov. 7th, so I'm trying to get prepared for that. The surgeon said he'll be tired for a month afterward, and knowing surgeons and how they seem to make light of the post-op period (that's my own experience), I'm thinking he may be quite exhausted for a while. Since he still does the grocery shopping (I can't quite manage all of that yet) and most of the cooking, I'd like to try to prepare some meals in advance and freeze them. So I'll be working on that soon.

What else can I say, except that I miss all of you and hope you are all fairing well. I'm trying to get on with life, so I have been neglecting my thread and I'm sorry for not checking in more regularly. I think of you all very often and send you all the best.

Let's meet on the GoshPorch for brunch! I'll bring the scones, apple bread and a quiche and let's see what you can come up with. I'm sure it'll be delicious and so much fun to get together. Keep up the good work of supporting each other, there's no place better for friendship and understanding than these threads.

I'll catch up more later. Love you all and miss you, too. ByGosh

Hi everyone!!! ByGosh you simply amaze me! Good for you my friend. I'm doing a happy dance that you've been too busy living your life check in. How sweet it is! I'm choosing to focus on your good days. As for the brunch on the GoshPorch... I'll bring a big salad with lots of veggies and a chickenless pot pie. I will bring the fixings for mimosas too because we need to celebrate your vacant couch! I'm so glad to hear about your daughter too. There is just so much to celebrate today. Getting in the pool sound like it's the right kind of rehab for you. What a great update!!!
My computer crashed and I'm typing on my iPhone... Ugh! No happy faces in this post, but trust me, they are all over my face.

ByGosh It is so good to hear from you again and I am thrilled that you have improved so much since you last came out on to the Gosh porch but how great is it that you are so busy getting on with your life that you have neglected your thread ? I am also very happy that your daughter has made such a wonderful recovery and is back to normal.I hope all goes well with your husbands surgery in November and that you are able to complete your preparations.I will bring a rhubarb crumble for you all to try with English custard for our reunion meal on the porch.

At times my left hip feels just like the right one did before the surgery so I am not really feeling the benefit from my new hip now. I have good days and bad days and realise that I will probably need the left side doing at some point in the future.I would rather it was sooner than later but I will just have to see what the OS says in December.

Good golly, ByGosh -y ... my jaw dropped reading your wonderful news! I am THRILLED to peaches about THE PREDNISONE working! You have suffered so much for SO long, it has just been the pits and so unfair. I cursed the universe on your behalf ... But you are now improving and 75 per cent better. I can't tell you how happy I am for you! And of course for your daughter's good news, too. And am sending good wishes for GoshHubby and his upcoming surgery. Please do not for one second worry about checking in here except when you can. You have a lot of catching up to do to make up for all that down time you had to go through. We all understand completely.

Really, this is the best news ever, dear dear ByGosh.

I don't have to tell you how I'm doing because Kim22 just did. Kim and I seem to be joined at the hip (har har) these days. However, my op-hip as they say does "work" well. It feels strong and "locomotes" normally and I relish each and every step. I just can't be one of the ones who never thinks about my hip. I do think about it. I marvel at it. I am so pleased that it moves normally, I can't see straight. But there is continued pain daily with the other hip, and my lower back pain never stops. So the surgery so far has not restored me to "back to totally normal woo-hoo!" yet. I have a feeling it will not do that for a long time. So it's been a readjustment in thinking about things, and accepting a "new normal."

I will continue to check in on La Porch ByGosh and say hello and look for updates from you ... but only when you can. I am really ecstatic over hearing how well you are doing!!!!!!!

And P.S. THANK YOU a thousand times for all of the lovely support you gave me during my "post-op" period.

So happy to hear from you ByGosh . I turned on my phone when our plane landed and there you were. Terrific that the Prednisone is working and that you have been using the pool and living your life. Cheers for Goshette's recovery, too. I think your right to anticipate a longer recovery for your husband than the doctor predicts. And, if he is up and going sooner it will just be happy news.
We just got in from a week in LA visiting our son and his wife. Having negotiated LAX and JFK today plus a five hour flight I am a bit exhausted but otherwise well. Inclines and declines set off all kinds of pain in both hips, but I see improvement in general.
Again, delighted to have news of you. I will have to bring a healthy salad to the Gosh Porch as I have eaten way too much on vacation.

Hey Gosh and you all...I am low-carbing these days, so I think I'll bring deviled eggs to the porch party. There's a bittersweetness at that point when a cohort of hippies reaches a point of recovery that draws them all away from the forum....we hate to see you go, but we're glad to see you go.

Bygosh, remember that you are only six months along in a recovery journey that goes on for one to two years. As you taper off the prednisone, you may need other meds to tide you over as you gradually continue healing. Sending good vibes for your husband's surgery....I wonder if he and his cronies will take over the porch...sure is good for what ails you. :)

Sharon

Oh ByGosh I'm so pleased that you are doing a lot better and managing to get on with your life, it's really good news!! I'm sending you loads of good wishes that your recovery goes from strength to strength xx

That's good news ByGosh! I'm so pleased something is finally working for you. Looking forward to the brunch! Best wishes to your husband for his coming surgery.

Will be thinking of you Butterfly. Take lots of deep breaths and keep in mind that there really is no choice, but to do this. The other is to live in pain. Not much fun as we all know. I remember well this pre-surgery time. Just ride the waves of emotions and nerves and you'll come into the beach soon!

Hello Everyone - so sorry I've been remiss with keeping in touch. I'm enjoying being able to walk and do things, and find myself on the go most of the time. That's how I've always been - I'm not much of a sitting down kind of person, so it feels great to be active. I have some days that are nearly pain-free, :) which is like a miracle to me. And then other days with quite a bit of pain still. I don't get as discouraged, though, and keep going. I still take Prednisone, which is what's allowing me to have less pain and am slowly weaning off of it. I hope I can get off of it completely at some point - the rheumatologist at least wants me down to 10 mg. I'm currently down to 17mg, and lowering it 1mg per week - very slowly. We'll see how that goes.

How is everyone?? I miss you all soooo much and you're on my mind all of the time!! :friends:

First, I need to tell @ Butterfly good luck with your surgery tomorrow! Try not to be too anxious, you'll be so glad when it's over. Your post op pain will be well-controlled with the pain meds and it's short term, so the pain you've been going through for so long is the worst of it. I don't think anything you will now have to face will be as bad as what you've already been through. It'll be over before you know it, and you'll be home recovering and feeling so much better in no time. You've been so brave and have suffered for so long! I'm looking forward to hearing from you as soon as you're able to post.
All good wishes are being sent your way from the GoshPorch, and I'm sure everyone who's ever been over here - the GoshGroup - all send you our very best and will be waiting right here to know it all went well for you. After all, if we could do it Butterfly, you can do it! Plus you'll have us to help and support you as you recover .You're very strong and will do fine! :friends::friends::friends::thumb::iagree: Talk to you soon, dear.

nmay51 Thank you for that nice post! It brought a big smile to my face, too. :) How sweet of you and how cute it was. I hope you're doing well with your hip and your healthy eating, too. I'm finding that I like to cook Indian curries with tofu and such when I can. It tastes so delicious, and the family likes it, too.

sharonslp Really nice to hear from you, too, dear one. :) Thanks for the deviled eggs - mmmmm - I love them. They're a favorite here and my daughter makes a batch every now and again, especially at Eastertime.
Very good to remind me that the recovery can be 1 to 2 years. On my good days, I feel I'm 'all better' then on the other days, even though I deal with it, I do wonder if I'll ever get 'better'. So I need to remember that there's still a lot of recovery ahead and nothing happens quickly as far as hip replacements go. That'll help me keep from sliding back down into a sense of hopelessness, that I had often when I was in so much pain for so long.

There's a bittersweetness at that point when a cohort of hippies reaches a point of recovery that draws them all away from the forum....we hate to see you go, but we're glad to see you go.
Thank you, that's so true. I miss everyone and I really miss the day to day chatter and fun and support so much!! But I'm embracing being up and about, and being able to do things - the everyday things that make one's life - cleaning the house, doing laundry, preparing a meal, walking the dogs - all humdrum, but all my what makes my life. Nothing great, no big surprises or vacations or celebrations, just every day living. It feels so good to be back to it again, after 6 months of laying on the couch most of the time, in pain just about all of the time. This feels like I've been reborn, almost. (I don't want to be too dramatic here.) But I was getting so discouraged and hopeless and depressed, and I truly believed I'd always be impaired. So to have my legs under me again, and be capable and up and walking and functioning, is really a blessing.
So I'm sorry I'm not keeping in touch with everyone as much, but I know you all understand. I've always been an active person, rarely sat during the day at all, and now more than ever I love being active and having my life back.

I'll post this so I don't lose it and then reply after dinner (that I made) to octopus and Littlejem and LeeApril26 and Peaches and Kim22 and whoever else may have dropped by the GoshPorch in my absence.

ByGosh and all on the porch. Thanks for remembering my surgery, ByGosh. Say a prayer for me and my anxiety, please.

To the brunch, I will bring the biggest, gooiest chocolate cake ever, in celebration. Hope the brunch is after my second hip, on November 4!

You guys watch out for the GoshPorch while I am gone.

Peace and love to all.

Butterfly I'm praying for you, and that your anxiety is a thing of the past starting right now. :angel:
And the GoshPorch will be right here, in good condition, all safe and sound (just like you'll be), waiting for you and your delicious, scrumptious chocolate celebration cake whenever you're ready!

Kim22 So good to hear from you, and thank you for your well wishes for myself and my family.
I'm sorry to hear that your other hip is causing you trouble now. It's too bad that you can't enjoy your new, good hip without problems from the other side. It's so unfair! :sad:
Is it possible to see the OS sooner than Dec? although that isn't so, so far away now that Oct is nearly upon us, although when you're in pain it seems like a long time! But don't despair too, too much - it seems that once we've been through the initial trauma of the first awful hip pain, and the diagnosis, the scarey wait for surgery, the actual surgery, the recovery - we're much better able to handle other pain that comes our way. Not that we won't try to avoid it, and we certainly don't want any more surgeries, but if we got through it once and came out on the other side in one piece, we can get through it a second time. So although it's unwelcome pain and news you don't want, I know you can do what it takes to get yourself back to where you want to be Kim22. But I wish it wasn't causing you pain or interfering with the benefit of your new hip, and I hope it's not another problem that might need fixing. Once is enough for anyone, that's for sure! In the meantime, you know to try to go easy with it, and if you can, take antinflammatory or pain medication to help ease the pain, and use ice and rest to try to take the edge off of it between now and your OS visit in Dec.
I hope it goes away or at least lets you have days that are good enough to do some things that you enjoy. Keep us posted on how it's going for you. Will you be able to go to Northumberland this fall? I hope you have some more lovely days by the sea! That beautiful caravan and the scenery seem to be really good for you.
Take care, Kim22. Talk to you again soon, I hope.

Oh Peaches peachy keen, Peaches So nice to hear from you!
It's awful that your other hip is acting up now, like Kim22 !!! :sad: This is all so unfair, isn't it? Gee, we go through major surgery to fix a problem, and with some of us, other problems happen. It seems that the stress of the surgery pushes other areas of our bodies to the brink. Have you been told you have arthritis in the un-op hip? Do you think that's what it is? And your back! What could that be? Boy, I'm glad your op-hip is doing so well, but it's so unfortunate that you're being nagged by the other two areas. It's hard to enjoy life when your in pain. I find myself preoccupied by the pain. It's hard not to be - it takes over, and it takes on a life of it's own. Did your back hurt before surgery, or is it new? Either way, it's really really too bad. I guess we're both coming to terms with our 'new normal' aren't we? I don't think I'll ever be the same, and I try not to think of what's coming down the pike next. I'm just trying to do what I can and not focus on the negatives and all of the other things that can still go wrong with my body!
On a lighter note - you're still as funny as ever, dear Peaches ! And your post to me was so sweet and kind and understanding. Thank you for it, I appreciate you all so much. I often wish I could write a post by dictation -I'm sure they have that now, don't they? Where one just talks and it gets written out on a computer to be sent..??
Because often I'm doing 'busy work' and carrying on a mental conversation (now I really sound crazy) and posting to you all about how I'm doing, etc. Before I know it, the time has passed and I'm caught up in something else, and then the day is gone and I haven't made it to my computer and the week flies by, and still I'm not on the forum..But I AM thinking about you! And I'll try to do better to drop by more often, even if it's just for a quick note.
How is NYC and the transit system treating you? How's the job going? Are you managing better now than pre-op? It seems to be a long process, this THR business. It goes on and on, different stages over time, subtle changes, little improvements here, some backslides there. It's so strange and unknown. I'm still in the dark about if and when I'll ever just be 'me' again, or if I'll always wait and wonder when it'll be over. Does that make any sense?
I really feel like I'm a different person in a lot of ways, physically and mentally, emotionally and spiritually. It's been such a journey, and I don't think it's over yet. Just like any big challenge or event in life, it had an impact on me in many ways - some good, some not so good.
Well, more on that later, maybe. Otherwise, it was so good of you to drop by LaPorch, the Veranda, the Lanai, and all of the other words for it besides GoshPorch - OurPorch is a good one, too! I hope you get better and better Peaches and your back decides it likes it's new alignment ,and your other hip likes it's new playmate on the other side, so you can live in peace and comfort with health and wealth from here on!

Talk to you later, dear one. ByGosh

LeeApril26 Hello! Thank you for your kind words to me. It's so nice to hear from you again.
I'm glad you were able to take a trip to see your son and his lovely wife. I'm impressed and amazed that you could manage those airports! And that looonngg flight! My goodness, you really are doing so well! That's a huge accomplishment. I'd be afraid to tackle that yet, or ever. But you're a seasoned traveler, although this is your first big trip since your new hip, isn't it? How was your son and his wife? And LA? I've never been there, but I'll bet it's exciting and there are plenty of gorgeous and glamorous people to see. I would imagine it as being more of an on-the-go type of vacation. Those types of getaways can be lots of fun - going out and about, seeing the sights, living it up a little. It must have been really nice to spend time with your son and daughter-in-law again.

A salad sounds very good to have as part of a well-rounded brunch. I'm sure you enjoyed whatever delicious eating indulgence you may have had on vacation, and you deserved it, too. After all, it was a vacation and that's what they're for - enjoying yourself.

How are you feeling lately? Is your hip behaving for you? I hope you're doing well - it sounds like you are. I'm enjoying the pool and I feel it's such a good way to get some exercise - so much less stressful on the joints. The minute I get in the water, I feel better. I'm doing a lot more water walking than I've done in the past, thanks to Help Your Hips. I understand how it can strengthen the muscles with the water resistance, without stressing the joints because of the buoyancy. It's really great. I have yet to try a stationary bike, but may soon venture to the exercise room and see how it feels. Have you done that yet?

Well, it was so good to hear that you had a vacation and managed everything well. I'm glad that you were able to do that. I'll talk to you again soon LeeApril26. Take care now.

ByGosh. Good to hear that you are doing well and continuing to get back into your life. I seem to be Improving as long as I stay on flat ground. Walking up and down steep inclines causes burning pain in the back of both thighs,and pain in the non-operated hip. Staying on flat ground is not as easy as you might imagine. Also, had elevated renal levels after a check up a few weeks ago. Had a retest after drinking lots of water for a few days; the levels went down a bit, but still elevated. Since this could be damage from NSAIDS I've stopped taking the daily Mobic. NPR just issued a scary report about Tylenol, so no pain killers in my life these days. Luckily, I've been keeping up with the knee exercises so not too bad. Enough moaning.

On the plane it was crucial to stand and walk. I explained it to our flight attendant, and older man, who turned out to be thinking g about a THR. He was very kind and encouraged me to walk.
I am not so good on stationary bikes. I used one during PT as a warm up,but prefer running in place in the water when I'm at the pool. I have a hard time getting the seat adjusted properly. I also use a noodle in the pool and move my legs in a bike motion.

It's great that you are able to exercise in the pool. That is such a low stress way to move, other than the showers and changing clothing. Take care.

Hi ByGosh (and everyone else on the Goshporch), so glad to hear things are going well for you! Patience seems to be the key word in this recovery business, doesn't it? I am doing fine here, just have to remember to pace myself yet or I'm pretty worn out by the end of the day. It's the usual craziness here now that school has started. Between homeschooling the girls, running the youngest back and forth to volleyball and getting tax stuff ready on the farm, there are days I long for early recovery, when I could just tell everyone "I'm tired and going to bed" and they would all leave me alone for a bit! But the Lord gives me what I need to get through each day, so all is good. Glad to hear your daughter is back at school and doing well. And please keep us posted on your hubby's upcoming surgery!

Butterfly I'm keeping a nice comfy recliner warm for you on the GoshPorch so you can relax comfortably with ice on your new hip when you're ready to come and visit! And don't worry, I still have my raised toilet seat just in case! :)

Helllloooo sqwerlie So nice to hear from you! It sounds like you and your family are all busily involved in the hectic pace of fall and back to school time! It's an exciting time of year, even though I usually dread it before it starts -it's hard to give up the summer and the easier, longer days. Plus fall sweeps us along with the holidays coming up, then before we know it, January's here and we have the rest of the winter to contend with. The cycle of life and it's seasons keeps us moving along.
You sound well, and you're right that you have to pace yourself. Such busy days can tire you out by the time the evening rolls around. I'm glad all is well for you and your family. I'm starting to prepare meals now, and my husband is feeling less of a burden. I've gotten a couple of meals frozen for when he has his surgery. Then I won't have to worry if he's laid up for a time. We see the surgeon on the 11th of Oct. so I'll be sure to get a clear picture of what the operation entails and know more what we'll be facing as far as recovery.
Otherwise, I keep going along. I try not to worry too much about what's going on with me, and live more in the present. As long as I can still move, I feel thankful.
Take care of yourself and your farm and family sqwerlie Glad to know all is as it should be for you.

LeeApril26 Hi Lenora. I'm sorry to hear about the kidney blood work. Makes me wonder how easy it may be to get renal involvement from the NSAIDS? You weren't on the Mobic for that long, were you? And you didn't take too many or anything. It's too bad, because they are a very helpful medications to control pain and inflammation. I imagine that your blood work can shift back to normal after a time. I don't mean to be nosey but are there any recommendations for you from the doctor as far as what to do next? I imagine they'll follow your blood levels periodically now. I hope it all turns out to be just a transient change for you.

I enjoy the jogging motion in the pool. It feels good on my legs and has built up my leg muscles again. I'm having a small benign growth removed today from my forearm (a fatty lipoma) and the surgeon said no swimming for two weeks, so I'm trying to think of what else I can do besides walk. That's where I came up with the stationary bike idea. I'm very partial to water exercise and may just try to walk around at waist level, keeping my arm out of the water. I even practiced jogging in the deep end with my arm up, but it was awkward and I'm sure I looked pretty odd! I may just have to not swim until the stitches are out - I'll survive! Although I do hate to give it up, even for a short time. It makes me feel so much better afterwards - it's very therapeutic for me.

I also find it challenging to walk inclines, and uneven turf. It's much easier to stay on the smooth, level sidewalks. I wonder if we'll always feel this way? I imagine that we'll not even think about it at some point - we'll just get used to the 'different' feeling so it's not feeling different anymore.

The days have been lovely outside. Just perfect. And it's wonderful not to have any hurricaine threats now. We've been unlucky the past couple of years with our severe weather here. I bought a nice, big pumpkin for the front porch. Our neighborhood is busy on Halloween. It was always so much fun to walk around with the kids and visit all of the neighbors. This will be the first year with no one to Trick or Treat with! My son and I walked around a little last year, not Trick or Treating, just seeing everyone. But it became very painful and he had to get the car to pick me up. A few blocks down there's always a gang of people at one of my children's teachers house - they dress up and have smoke, and scarey music and graves - it's like an outdoor party, and we see people we haven't seen since the last year. I think we'll venture there again this year to say hello. It's always fun and feels very Halloweeney.
Take care, dear Lenora. I'm glad you had a nice vacation and are managing to go into the pool now and again. Let's hope we all continue to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks