Bilateral THR ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral

Status
Not open for further replies.

ByGosh

post-grad
Country
United States United States
Hi Everyone,
Today is 1 week since surgery and I feel a bit better than I did over the weekend. There's still weakness and fatigue, probably from the low blood count, but at least I don't feel quite as much like I'm going to pass out when I'm not laying down. I do get very nauseous when I'm up and about though, and my color is ghastly.

PT came today for the 2nd visit and she is talking about walking in the neighborhood this week. I can't quite imagine that! She wants me to walk around as much as possible, and stand at the counter for a few seconds and do leg lifts. :groan: Owww! I'm still having pain when I'm up and walking, which concerns me. I've read other people's threads that talk more about stiffness then pain at 7 days post op. Is it typical to have so much pain now? I'm still needing pain med every 4 hours. I'm ok if I don't get up and walk around, but I can't just lay down all day. What have other people experienced at this point? The surgeon said there were no surprises in surgery - my hips were osteoarthritis, bone on bone, with a few bone spurs that he removed. So it's not like I had severe degeneration that required rebuilding or anything. I hope everything is ok! Any thoughts?

Boy, these new hips sure feel funny, too. It's like I have two-ton cement blocks in there. And when I walk, I feel like I want to be slightly forward with my buttocks sort of up in the air. Maybe that's just my impression of how I look, I'll have to ask the family what I look like. I feel as though I'm walking like a monkey or something! :heehee:

Ok, I guess that's enough complaining. At least I'm not crying like I was on and off all weekend! If only I didn't have as much pain, I wouldn't feel as concerned. But realistically, 7 days after major surgery on weight-bearing joints, I guess I have to expect some pain, right?:shrug:
ByGosh

In the first week I was walking like Clyde from any which way but loose. Lol... and I only had one hip done. My arms were swinging all over for balance. Pmsl

ByGosh - the cement feeling legs is normal! It's from tissue swelling because of the trauma of surgery - it does go away eventually but it can take 3-4 weeks for it to disappear completely. Elevating both legs really does help - get the toes above your nose and pack ice packs around both hips. While lying flat on your back is not much fun I think you will find that sitting up for extended periods of time makes the legs feel worse and makes the swelling worse. Patience dear friend - you are early early days out from TWO major surgeries! It is also normal to feel exhausted and have attacks of being taken suddenly nap! So alternate between lying down with legs elevated, walking around for a bit, and then a brief period of sitting up.

It sounds to me like you are actually doing well. And yes pain is normal at this stage so is taking pain meds every 4 hours. Please remember everyone is different and every recuperation story is different.

It will be while before you will feel good and be able to walk without pain and swelling. This is a full surgrey so please take a easy. Rest , elevate, ICE and pain control is so important. Take care. Tashia

st pat mouse.jpg
ByGosh, you're doing just fine. You have just had two major, major surgeries. Your surgeon used not only a scalpel, but a hammer, a saw, and a drill----both hips are suffering from major trauma---of course they hurt and you need your pain meds every 4 hours. Everything you're experiencing right now is "normal". And don't be surprised if things have not changed a lot in the next 7 days. Joint replacement is just different from other surgeries---you have to look at recovery in weeks and not days.

Just follow the BoneSmart mantra to the letter and you'll have the best possible recovery. I'm going to give to you again for good measure:
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

Take care and keep us posted. We care. st pat hug 3.jpg

Thanks for the responses everyone. Today I got up and had pain that I would consider moderate just walking to the bathroom. I had to take pain med by 7:30am just to shower. I haven't really had that before. The hips/thighs feel much less stiff so far, and more flexible, but they seem to hurt more. I think there's less swelling inside, and could it be that less pressure on the nerve endings let's the pain be felt more? I think I may have more pain now then when I first came home.
Also on Sat. night I had a temp of 100 degrees, which has been less since - 99.8 Sunday, then pretty consistantly 99 or 99.2. This morning 99.2. Not high, I know, but a bit above what I usually am. Also, I came home from the hospital Thurs. with very low hemoglobin and hematocrit levels 7 and 23. They came up to 9 and 26-27 by Fri., but I felt weak, tired, nauseous whenever I got up, and still do. I almost feel "sick". I'm just concerned about the three symptoms together - pain, sick feeling, low grade temp. None of it is severe, none of it fits the criteria for calling the doctor, or for post op complications - it's sort of subtle. Is this normal, or could it be? Is it just my body's response to the surgery, the implants, and low blood counts, etc.? If I could only get over this "yucky" feeling, I think I'd be so much better! Anyone else have the same stuff the week after replacement? Thanks so much everyone. I appreciate your responses and input.

ByGosh, pain will still be quite a bear still and a low fever is also pretty common. If it helps I mainly have 2 kinds of pain, one is a tearing, needle felling usually on movement and the other feels like a massive spasm which wakes me up. I find that my walking is not bad, but I follow thewalk, heel to toe, back straight mantra

I had very low levels as well and 3 units of blood but despite this and iron tbs felt awfull for weeks. The surgical pain was hard at times differnt from the arthritis pain, but managable with various combination of drugs and ice and rest. The thing I noticeed first was I was taller and I could stand up straight, my legs seemed to be able to move without effort and I felt all gangley and unsure where my legs were or where they were going. Things will get better at there own rate and you have to try and go with the flow of rest and healing. Im still healing but when you see me doing activities I love you would never belive I had both hips replaced 5 months ago. Good luck with your recovery I hope its not too much of a roller coster ride.

ByGosh, congrats on the new hips!
I had similar blood levels which kept me in the hospital
for 6 nites. I would imagine you are on an iron regimen?

As far as the swelling and the awkward posture, yea, i think
that's pretty normal, esp with bilat. I had that butt up, forward
lean going on for quite a while, and it takes a long time to
get straightened up. You will get there.
sorry you are having the pain, but tie that in with the
general feel like crud (which is probably still due to the low
blood levels) and it makes for not such a fun time. It does
get better, but it takes time. At my first follow up, where they
took out staples and xrayed me, a fellow doc in the office that I
know thru my work said i looked like a ghost, he said to
eat, eat, eat to fuel my body thru recovery and rebuild blood
levels etc. I'm sure you will start feeling better, then you can
concentrate on your PT and building everything back up.

bygosh, did you have general anaesthetic? That sometimes knocks you for six post-op. The other factor might be a reaction to your pain meds. Some (like me) can't take the heavy duty pain killers due to nausea. There are anti nausea meds you can take. Call your family doctor and discuss your pain management. Sounds like you need more relief to get mobile but if it is making your nauseous it's hard to do anything! Take care!

Hi Guys, So good to hear from you and get your input. Thank you so much.
Jaycey, I had spinal anesthesia with sedation to keep me asleep during surgery, then dilaudid IV with the patient controlled button to administer it, then switched after 2 days to Norco by mouth. I do have a sensitive stomach, so that's probably contributing to the nausea. That's really not the worst of my complaints (and I seem to have multiple!) I'm going to give it the week to see if things change before I call the docs. I need to go with the flow and give it time, I think. I'm very anxious about all of this, but thankfully you guys keep things more "normalized" for me, and help me not to blow things out of proportion so much.

puddle fish @cyndutch, I'm glad to hear that others have had issues with the hips feeling awkward, too, and with the pain, pain, pain. It now feels so much like pre-op - burning, searing, inflammatory pain when I'm up a bit and then when I stop. ( I think there's an expectation that the pain will be cured by the surgery, but there's also little focus that, in the meantime, there's new pain.) I don't feel this is the same as the post op incisional pain, where everything felt so tight and stiff and painfull but almost numb in a way.- it feels like joint soreness pain. I'm only concerned because it seems new, it seems to be getting worse instead of better, and I have a little feeling of being chilled with a slight fever at night. (99-100). I've had to take more pain med in the past 2-3 days. I'll have to monitor my wt. bearing and be sure I'm not over doing it, and if anything escalates, get in touch with someone. I just wish I knew if this is "normal", if it's okay and expected, or the start of a problem that should be addressed quickly (like an infection starting??) Has anyone had an infection, and what's it like?

I can't take the wondering and worrying, the second guessing and monitoring every new pain or symptom, the not knowing what to expect and what's out of the ordinary. Makes me scared and worried. Yikes.:scare:

My hubby's back to work this week, and my son is on Spring Break and keeping me company. I sort of like just hanging around, as when I'm not recouperating or feeling poorly, I'm not one to take it easy and just sit around. I'm a more constantly on the go kinda gal.:spin: Josephine

Night all. Sleep well and I'll be checking in tomorrow. Hope you're all recovering well with no worries.

I had to have 5 blood transfusions. I felt very weak but it passes.. It won't hurt to just call your OS and tell them about the fever since it is sticking around. It is probably nothing to worry about, but it never hurts to tell your doctor your concerns. Maybe you need something different to control your pain. Both hips is alot for your body to go thru. I am 11 weeks postop and I still have some pain. It just takes time to recover. Things will get better and easier each week. Keep us posted!

Bygosh, I tagged Jo in your earlier post. I really think what you are feeling is just normal post op pain and stiffness but she might be able to reassure you. Are you taking your prescribed dose of meds regularly? It is important to stay ahead of any pain. Hang in there!

ByGosh , I'm sorry you are so miserable! :console2: I too am an anxious type, so when May comes around I am going to come to you for advice!
There is an orange cat on my lap who wants to comfort you. Mango says, *prrrrrr-rrrrrrr-rrrrrrrrrrr*:kittykiss:

ByGosh, I just want to say well done, and how impressed I am with you having two done. If it doesn't mess up your 90 degrees, pat yourself on the back (both sides)!

It now feels so much like pre-op - burning, searing, inflammatory pain when I'm up a bit and then when I stop. I think there's an expectation that the pain will be cured by the surgery. I don't feel this is the same as the post op incisional pain, where everything felt so tight and stiff and painful but almost numb in a way.- it feels like joint soreness pain.
Boy, these new hips sure feel funny, too. It's like I have two-ton cement blocks in there
Pain is pain and should be treated as such. What you're talking about is the different manifestations of pain and so far, all that you have mentioned is just that. Stop trying to analyse each different type and find a different reason for it. There isn't one. You just had a great big cut made in your hip, with deeper cuts made all the way down to the joint and then bone cut and implants hammered in to replace it. Are you seriously telling me you didn't expect all that to hurt, or feel strange? So first order of business is to take your pain meds as prescribed and by the clock. No waiting around or trying to decide is this is pain or soreness or stiffness and does it really need a pill! It is ALL pain and it ALL needs a pill! And it won't let up until around weeks 6-8.
but I can't just lay down all day.
Sure you can! You shouldn't be doing anything else anyway because ..... drum roll ........ you are healing! Read the articles Judy left for you and commit them to memory.

ByGosh, I think we all must go through the what is this pain and is this normal and do others experience this. We all are going to heal at our own pace. I have been having a muscle cramp for the past 3 days on my inner thigh muscle I read on here this morning from Josephine that you can use a form of acupuncture on it so I will be trying that today. Usually whenever something comes up that seems strange, keep close to this forum for answers....they will come. Take care and it sounds like you are doing great although some days are hard to handle.

Hope your doing better today than you've felt previously! My new hobby is reading menus for place I'd like to try. Hope you're keeping busy as well!

You just had a great big cut made in your hip, with deeper cuts made all the way down to the joint and then bone cut and implants hammered in to replace it.

:sick:

I need a health warning before I read those posts. It's the hammer that does it for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie