THR bye-bye femoral head! my post-op recovery thread

Delighted to hear you are doing so well. I felt great after surgery the next couple of days everything kicked in pain wise. That’s also great you had a bm, day five for me and nothing need to add something else. Hoping you continue to be healing well

Happy One Month Anniversary! :wave:
I hope you're doing well. Leave us an update and share your progress.
We'd love to hear how you've been doing over the past couple weeks.
A great weekend to you!
@Bergame

Thanks for the kind anniversary wishes, Layla. I was on a road trip, two hours each way, to see my parents and return my walker to them. Fortunately, despite being 89-years-old, they don’t need the walker either, so hide that thing away for the foreseeable future!

This first lengthy car trip left me pretty stiff, but I faked my way around that to avoid having my parents feel bad about me making the trip to see them. I think by now they should have earned retirement from worrying about me (is it bad to admit that I’ve already semi-retired from worrying about my own children?:unsure: )but it was nice to see my mom and dad’s lovely smiling faces for the first time in a couple. months.

I am mostly done with walking supports; I will pick up my crutch if really tired or if negotiating my way to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

The biggest change at one-month is coming off all meds. Surgeon had me on daily Celebrex, Vitron C, 650mg aspirin and Protonix to protect stomach for the full month. I’m feeling a little more achy in the absence of these pharmaceutical props, but, who knows, those aches could be more psychosomatic than due to withdrawal of drugs.

Ok, who else out there continued to wear their compression stockings after one month??!!! With the lack of love these stockings generally get on Bonesmart, I need to know that there are others who grew to love these lowly circulation aids, and were sad to see their prescription come to an end! :snork:

At one month, my biggest problem is avoiding overdoing it. I have been on a repeating cycle of “feel-good,walk-too-much, ache-a-bit, ice-a-while, feel-good, stationary-cycle-too-much, ache....etc”. This is despite the many warnings from ODIC members here, so I KNOW better but have fully joined the Club anyway.

Keep your recovery advice and stories coming, everyone. They’ve been invaluable in my own recovery. Thank you!

@Bergame you are doing well! I bet it was a real treat to see your parents. They sound in good shape, too. How wonderful is that??
I think we need special ODIC t shirts. Hahah. Ok maybe not. :snork:
Just continue to be cautious. I still so regret my set back and still can’t figure it out. But also know I was walking too many steps each day. Even resting most of each day, those steps added up!
Keep on with your great progress. Such a good update. :tada:

Hi @Bergame :wave:
Ok, who else out there continued to wear their compression stockings after one month??!!! With the lack of love these stockings generally get on Bonesmart, I need to know that there are others who grew to love these lowly circulation aids, and were sad to see their prescription come to an end!
Um:shrug:, not me. Did not like them, no siree.:umm:
At one month, my biggest problem is avoiding overdoing it. I have been on a repeating cycle of “feel-good,walk-too-much, ache-a-bit, ice-a-while, feel-good, stationary-cycle-too-much, ache....etc”.
Happy belated one month hipversary :ok: and yes, this recovery can be rather a tricky dance.
Keep listening to your body and try to keep all slow and steady.
Hope today is an easy does it day.:ice:

Hi @Bergame :) I'm checking in to see how the past week or so has gone for you? Are you still attached to your beloved TEDS?? :heehee:

9034A5D5-90F1-408C-B71D-D76333AF2321.jpeg
Edited:
Shrunk pic so as not to scare anyone!

:flwrysmile:Oh my! I prematurely hit the Post Reply button with that picture! That pic looks like it will use up all of Bonesmart’s data byte allotment for the day. I apologize! Guess my ongoing love affair with the TEDS is now set down for all posterity.
My daughter even bought me a pair of patterned fancy winter-weight compression socks to keep this relationship going in the months ahead.

6-week followup with surgeon is tomorrow and I will ask him whether he thinks my increased discomfort now versus weeks 3-4 is due to:
(1) coming off the meds at one month
Or
(2) making a one-legged jump off sidewalk into street (yes, on operated leg) when a man let his dog leap on me. Dog’s mouth was on my arm - no teeth, probably leaping in friendship, but still!- so I jumped without thinking. Really jammed my hip. This was a week and a half ago.
Or
(1) and (2) combined.

Even with this little setback, I feel very, very good compared to where I thought I would be at 6 weeks. THR really is a miracle procedure.

And I’m still coming here just about every day to soak in the stories that others are sharing. Thanks for letting me share too.

Last edited by a moderator:
That picture is hysterical! I can ask a moderator to resize it, no worries.. but love it! Nice pedicure, too. :loveshwr:

That is so rotten about the dog and your one legged jump! I bet you just strained the newly healed soft tissue but I agree,, it won't hurt to ask about it.
We love your sharing.. it adds to everyones experience.
Now we will need an update after your checkup! :heehee:

Good Morning @Bergame
The photo can be re-sized, so no worries. I can't believe you like those compression stockings. I swear those itchy things were the bane of my existence during early recovery. You're increased discomfort could be attributed to both possibilities you suggested, but my guess is that the one legged jump that resulted in the feeling you jammed your hip is the true culprit. My word that sounds painful to me!

Wishing you all the best at your appointment tomorrow. Please let us know how it goes and stay in touch.
Thanks for the update and Happy Wednesday to you!

Hello :wave:
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well. Please leave us an update, we'd love to hear how your recovery is progressing.
A great week to you!
@Bergame

:wave:Thanks, Layla! The best part about being two months out is the two months of nightly uninterrupted sleep. I'm already taking those 7-8 hours for granted when, just two months ago, I would have given anything to string together 3 or 4 hours at a time without having the arthritis interfere. So for any pre-op people out there who are undecided, consider how much it's worth to your health and sanity to be able to sleep again:sleeep:For me, it's worth a lot, and it was one of the tipping point factors that led me to schedule the surgery.

Physically, I have days where I forget I have a fake hip, and then I have days where I'll pick up the crutch again. Thanks to the fun Bonesmart 'squiggle' progression chart, I know that vacillation between good days and not-so-good days is normal. And the not-so-good days can usually be traced to overdoing it.

My biggest pain of the past weeks was not in my hip, but in my stomach due to getting a hefty Out-of-Network bill for the surgical center. I did not get my 8 hours of sleep the day I got that news! Luckily this turned out to be a coding error; I swore that I had checked to be sure the center and the anesthesiologist was in network, but there is so much on your mind immediately before and after surgery that I was second-guessing myself. Just wanted to mention this as a warning to people heading in to surgery to check the Network status of all the facets of the surgical process even though your surgeon is in network. I just hit my insurance out of pocket max today with the last surgery bill. Thanks, generous hip, for providing me with free medical care for the rest of the year! Let's go have a colonoscopy!

So glad to see your update.:)

I'm already taking those 7-8 hours for granted when, just two months ago, I would have given anything to string together 3 or 4 hours at a time without having the arthritis interfere. So for any pre-op people out there who are undecided, consider how much it's worth to your health and sanity to be able to sleep again
I dont think I slept more than 3 hours -if that, for almost a year.:bored:

For me, it's worth a lot, and it was one of the tipping point factors that led me to schedule the surgery
Me too! I was becoming beyond frustrated with my inability to get comfortable and night time was the worst.

Thanks to the fun Bonesmart 'squiggle' progression chart, I know that vacillation between good days and not-so-good days is normal. And the not-so-good days can usually be traced to overdoing it.
Such an important thing to learn early on...keeps us babying that hip when needed and from not getting down when we seem to have a tougher day.

All temporary!

I just hit my insurance out of pocket max today with the last surgery bill. Thanks, generous hip, for providing me with free medical care for the rest of the year! Let's go have a colonoscopy!
:heehee:

:hi:
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Hope you continue to do well.
Wishing you a wonderful Autumn! :)
@Bergame

Three Month Hipversary....:yahoo:
Hope all is well with you, Hippy Pal.

Hi @Bergame ! I am checking in on you!! How's it going? Hopefully by now you are feeling ready to tackle just about anything, well, within reason!

Seems like it was just yesterday that we were all having our surgeries and icing, icing, icing..

Would love to hear how you are doing. :wave:

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well and are pleased with your progress.
The holidays will soon be upon us, then the New Year.
Hopefully 2020 will be awesome for you!
@Bergame

HAPPY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY!
With any luck you’ll see this post and you’re able to leave an update. We’d love to hear how you’re doing.
I hope all is well and wish you a great rest of the Summer! :SUNsmile:
@Bergame

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie