THR bursitis and sacroiliac joint problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debowma

Thought I would post an update since I haven't been here in a long time. I am still trying to figure out why I am still in so much pain since my right THR in dec 2012. Since my accident in april, 2013, I have not been able to rehabilitate my hip and leg. Meaning, I can walk and work, but can't walk long distances, can't work out on the treadmill, have lots of thigh/back pain, and have generally had a tough time getting better - I still limp. My last visit to the dr. resulted in going to a surgeon to have my sacroiliac joint evaluated and they may be moving towards fusion. I had an injection last week, and the SI joint pain is gone, but I have a lot of what might be greater trocanter bursitis - which aches and burns on the outer and inner side of my hip. Does that sound reasonable? The hip xrays were normal. So, I keep trying to learn about it and figure it out. I never had a leg length problem prior to the hip replacement but my hip alignment is off and my right leg is now shorter than my left. I don't know. This is so complicated. I also have a 35 degree scoliosis which seems to complicate it further.

So sorry to hear you are having these problems. I'm glad you're continuing to pursue options to make things better, though. Sometimes it takes persistance and finally getting to the right person in order to get that relief. Hang in there!!! I'm going to tag @Josephine so she can comment for you.

Back problems along with hip problems are indeed challenging! Keep asking questions and seeking answers. Can you see someone to specifically treat the trocanter bursitis? That alone is enough to throw off your gait and make your back very angry.

Hi Deb. Sorry to hear you are still having problems. I have some suggestions:

For the SI joint, see a chiropractor
For the trochanteric bursitis get a cortisone injection

But I'll ask you some things

Can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_referesrs.jpg

aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_ahipsodsd.jpg

I'm going to ask you some questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_nonofisss.gif
)
Also don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

5. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! **Reps, sets and sessions** and all that)

** If you're not familiar with this, it goes like so:
1 lift of your leg = 1 rep (repetition)
5 reps and then a brief rest = 1 set
5 sets and finishing = 1 session.

Oooh, sorry to hear about the accident! :(
I had S-I joint pain before new hip, and it gloriously went away till I started back for real on the treadmill. So now it is back. My prehab PT showed me that also my pubic symphesis likes to get out of whack, which made my legs behVe as though they were different lengths. He taught me an exercise to do which will put it right of it is wonky, and do no harm if it is ok. He also taught me how to use KT tape on the s-i joint, which felt marvelous. Too. bad I am allergic to the adhesive :(
I hope that all resolves well for you!! :)

My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!

KT tape is a type of athletic tape that comes in colors. I had an injection for bursitis pain and it went away completely. Also, see a PT for SI joint problems. I am doing a series of exercises three times a day. A fusion is to be avoided unless you have tried everything else.

@theweezyone KT tApe is an athletic tape that you can actually get in Rite Aid and CVS, the two that I have looked for it in. My PT carried it by the huge roll. You can google it, and on my phone the first hit is their website. When properly applied, it feels like a big warm hand supporting your s-i joint and drawing away the pain. Good luck!! :)

My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!

KT stands for Kinesio taping. It needs to be applied by an appropriately trained therapist.
If you watch the Olympics and other similar sporting events, you'll see it being used all over the place, especially in gymnastics, swimming, field sports, etc., etc.

Here are examples

Kinesio taping.JPG

I'm :sneaker:trying to do a little homework on this SI joint? I noticed this thread is still open and wondering how you all are doing with this SI joint? I was feeling so good after my surgery in October and like you, zauberflöte,

ad S-I joint pain before new hip, and it gloriously went away till I started back for real on the treadmill. So now it is back

Mine started back just as soon as I was cleared to go back to gym and whatever else I needed/wanted to do except running (as a form of exercising) so no treadmill which was okay with me. I'm happy doing cycling and swimming and weight (free and machine).

Have you found miracle cure?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Me2 I have removed the tags from your post as per this request Misuse of tags or alerts

I have chronic SI problems but not for long as my chiro soon sorts them out for me. Great thing, chiropractic treatment!

I used KT tape on my knee and it removed a pocket of swelling. My PT put it on, but he taught me how to do it myself.

Hi @Debowma As the others say - a chiropractor is good for SI pain (and for re-aligning spines!). The tape is good but like @zauberflöte I seem to be allergic to the adhesive or colouring used in it. It had made a big difference to swelling on my knee when a PT put it on, but then I came up in hives all round it!
It just seems one step forward, two back at times but we just keep trying:walking:!
Good luck
Anne

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties