THR Burning pain

Hip 2

Country
Australia Australia
Hi I had a RTHR in Feb with no complications. I have had a LTHR on 27/10 and it's totally different . I cannot lift my leg or do anything without sharp pain running down my leg even when on strong pain killers. With routine stretching laying on back sliding heel to buttocks and sliding sideways while leg out straight is impossible without excessive pain. Surgeon said that new joint was slightly longer which has stretched muscles but should be fine in time. I can't do my post op exercises without pain.

Hello @Hip 2 - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your right hip replacement as well, so we can add it to your signature for you?
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

It's not unusual for two hip recoveries to be different, even on the same person and done by the same surgeon. Your surgeon has explained why your left hip may take a little longer to recover than your right hip did. Try not to compare them, and know that both hips will eventually heal well. It's just that your left hip is on a slightly different timetable.

For now, give your new hip a break and don't force it to do the exercises.

Here are some articles to help you with recovery:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Thankyou for your reply and welcoming me to this site my first replacement was 17/2/20. I think I am scared not to do post exercises as I was told I had to for full recovery. After reading reviews on this site I will take it easy for couple days and let it rest.

I think I am scared not to do post exercises as I was told I had to for full recovery.
Nope - hips don't need all that exercise in the early days. Walking is the enough and not to excess. Remember, you are not in training - you are healing. Let that hip heal and there will be plenty of time for strengthening later.

Do read the activity progression article. You should be taking things easy for much more than a couple of days.

Sounds like my 2nd THR. My first hurt but I had full mobility with little pain. My second I couldn't lift my leg for a while. The few post op exercises I did on my own weren't much but with my right it hurt so I didn't do some of them. No big deal, time was the best healer.

I still can’t do that leg out to the side thing while laying down and I’m at nearly six weeks. My PT told me not to worry, it will come in time. She suggested doing the same thing, but standing up, holding on to something. It’s much easier!

Thankyou for all your responses I will not worry about the exercises and let it heal . So glad I got onto this site you have all been wonderful and I can rest without feeling guilty ❤️

A big virtual hug to you all for making feel better about this replacement as I wasn't in a good place the last couple of days xx

I still can’t do that leg out to the side thing while laying down and I’m at nearly six weeks. My PT told me not to worry, it will come in time. She suggested doing the same thing, but standing up, holding on to something. It’s much easier!
Not to worry and not necessary right now, my hippy pals.
Here is a wonderful article about this from our library.

I'm 2 weeks post LTHR and have had a burning sensation from my thigh and gets worse from my knee to ankle all through my shin on outside. There is yellow and purplish bruising on lower part of my leg. It is more painful when I am sitting with legs up and is terrible when trying to sleep . Wondering if this is normal .

@Hip 2
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

Hip 2,
You may be having Sciatic nerve pain .
Sciatic nerve pain can be a part of recovery, suggest you call your surgeon and let them know.
They may give you something to help with your burning pain.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Hi thankyou it's not sciatica pain I think it's more to do with circulation as it happens when I lie down .

Didn't see you mention icing. Ice is where it's at for bruising and pain. I had burning in my upper thigh to my knee from my IT band being irritated. I'd feel the burn down my thigh and right at my kneecap.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom