Revision THR Burning after hip revision surgery

Arthur1984

Country
United States United States
I am almost 6 weeks out from my 5th left hip surgery. 2 total hip 3 revisions. Last 2 surgeries Oct 9/17 and March 26/18. I have been doing well at home

I wear a brace locked at 90 degrees. Careful with precautions.

PT at home has been going well until Wednesday. Now on movement I have horrific burning and stabbing pains in and on the left side of my left buttock down the incision midway. And pain at the very top of my left knee when weight bearing. Am I crazy? The only relief I get it sitting in my recliner or in bed.

I take Tramadol and Tylenol for pain and I ice. Is this serious .....

Hi @Arthur1984
Welcome to BoneSmart! Since you are still in the early weeks of healing, I've attached the Recovery Article.
Please read it as its full of useful information.

I'm sorry you're struggling with pain. Consider calling the office of your OS to speak with him or a member of his team. They will know the questions to ask and whether they feel you need to make a trip to the office.

Wondering if you could take the time to note the Month and Year of each surgery and what it was for. The information will then be added as your signature. Example: LTHR January 11, 2011

I hope you find answers and relief from your pain soon. A peaceful weekend to you!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom