THR Burias’ recovery

Hi Burias, I’m one day ahead of you and my steri-strips are still holding tight on my left side and just beginning to fray on my right. I kind of want them to stay on a while so I don’t have to really see my scars. Haha.

I made the mistake yesterday of waking up pain free yesterday and walking all over my downstairs without my walker. Nor my cane! Then I felt so amazing I walked outdoors maybe one block with two hiking poles. I have been so sore all over since!!! So go slowly!

Hi @Burias , you really are doing well! You could be the poster boy for the “Never too young for a THR if you need one” information campaign.

@Zoebichon is right about the temptations ahead. When we reach that wonderful day of walking pain-free without aids, it’s natural to want to push on and go that bit further. And then there come the complaints from our unused muscles. IMHO you are wise not to want to abandon the crutches too hastily or hurry back to work. (And if you have the time off arranged, definitely no hurry! Though you might need to take crutches and be sure to wince and clutch your leg etc if you go visit your colleagues again, in case they get the idea that you are ready to get back to work.) A bit of caution over the next few weeks will be the quickest way to get you back on your motorbike.

Though you might need to take crutches and be sure to wince and clutch your leg etc if you go visit your colleagues again, in case they get the idea that you are ready to get back to work.
This reminds me of the many that have returned to work earlier than they originally planned. Realistically, your co-workers may not be as accommodating as you’d hope, figuring that when you’re back, YOU’RE BACK and ready to perform as normal. Take advantage of the time off and rest you're able to get as you heal from this major surgery.

Just got to that point now where my legs feel like they want to stretch in ways I don’t dare yet, you know that ache you get that you can get rid of by stretching, but other than that I can’t wait to get back to doing more than just walking really, not that I did loads before but even getting to the floor and putting socks on and stuff.

I remember this feeling so well! I was anterior also, and would wake up in a stretch that started while still asleep and I was so worried I would do damage. I didn't, but I sure did worry.

Sounds like things are going so well! It’s wise not to abandon all walking aids too soon. Your continuing to make great progress and will be walking on your own soon enough.

So that’s 4 weeks now since my surgery, the incision has healed up nicely seems all fully sealed haha, can get around without crutches fairly easily now don’t use them around the house anymore but I still take them to bed or take them whenever I go out, my walking has improved a lot and believe my gait is somewhat getting back to normal, doesn’t help I get the odd weakness from my other hip and I’m not exactly the smallest of people, but hey ho.

Got my 6 week follow up appointment letter the other day, it’s booked in at 10 weeks as the surgeon is on holiday so I’m not sure what I’m going to do regarding work etc as I only have enough sickness/holiday to cover around 9 weeks, phoned up and tried to get it earlier but can’t. A bit devastated with that really as with how things have been going I was hoping restrictions lifted at 6 then spending a couple of weeks getting prepared to go back to work and normal life, hopefully I can figure something out with work where I can go back and still be on restrictions but I don’t know how insurance etc will figure into it.

Other than that everything’s positive really, sleeping is a lot better, I even woke up one morning having slept on the operated side for about 30 mins (I had fallen back to sleep) and I know you’re not supposed to be, I was glad not to feel much pain from it so even though I’ll be trying not to do it again it’s a very good sign.

My partner has just got her first car and I’m a named driver as a learner so will be getting a family member to start teaching me to get my test passed which I couldn’t do before with my hip the way it was so I won’t have to drive my motorcycle in all sorts of weather lol

Thanks again all

Hi Burias,
You're doing well! It‘s unfortunate you can’t see your surgeon and be cleared for work without restrictions before your scheduled return. I am wondering if your work will let you do a phased return? Easing back into your full time schedule over a couple weeks?
You’re making nice progress, sleeping well and soon will be driving, woo-hoo! Life is good. Please stay in touch and let us know how your return to work goes.
Have a nice weekend. :)
@Burias

My partner has just got her first car and I’m a named driver as a learner so will be getting a family member to start teaching me to get my test passed which I couldn’t do before with my hip the way it was so I won’t have to drive my motorcycle in all sorts of weather lol
OMG I just read this as my partner got a new cat!! And that you are getting a car to take the cat around :heehee:

That’s too bad having to wait 10 weeks. Is it possible to work at home ? Sorry I don’t know what job you do. Maybe possible to have someone drive you and if you work standing maybe have work to agree to a chair or stool? Just a thought but some places will accommodate you in those situations.
That is amazing being able to lay on that hip even though your not suppose to. I’m almost at week 4 and mine still hurts. Getting good sleep helps so much!

5 weeks and two days since my surgery now and everything is great I’m spending more and more time away from my crutches and my hip feels so strong! Finished all my blood thinners now so can start to take things to combat the niggles I get in the other side.

Slowly starting to stretch in positions I’ve not been able to do in a long time, like lifting a foot up to put a sock on etc, still can’t get there but just working the muscles and hip in the directions to start getting my hip back to where it was years ago.

Again as I’ve said before it’s funny all the worry you have before going in and the small amounts of concern you have after about how long recovery will be and it is different for everybody but when you get to this sort of point you do think, time has passed so quickly since that day. The first week only seems like a week ago.

Great update, you’re doing so well. I’m happy for you! :yahoo:
Your post will be an encouragement to those following behind to see how quickly you notice and enjoy the benefits of THR. All the best to you, thanks for taking the time to share an update. :)
@Burias

No truer words @Burias !! So glad you are now appreciating what needs to be done to get our lives back.
So pleased for you.

That’s awesome ! Time really did seem to speed up for me to. June went by so fast!

:wave:Hello @Burias
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re doing well and enjoying the Summer. :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom