Bummer-surgery cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

bottomshollow

Former BoneSmart staff member
Country
United States United States
What a bummer! :hairpulling: Developed shingles last night on the right side back of my neck and right shoulder I didn't know what it was 'til I went to my family doctor this AM. Called my OS to let them know; and because as long as blisters are forming and are not dried up I am contagious, no sugery at this time.

Even if I'm good to go in a couple of weeks, it may be a month or more before I can be scheduled again. I am so disappointed.:cry: I was really looking forward to getting this show on the road.

I understand that stress is the main cause of shingles. Didn't realize I was stressed--if I was it was more over worrying about my husband and how he would make out for the 10 days I'd be gone than about the surgery.

Well, no use crying over spilt milk. I'll just use the additional time to keep building up the leg muscles so recovery will be easier when I finally can have the BTKR. Thanks for letting me vent!

A real bummer - I agree. So sorry about your cancellation but it's best to get this cleared up before your op.

You have a great attitude - use the time to prepare for your surgery. BTKR is major and you will certainly benefit from toned leg muscles.

Hang in there - you will get there!

My sympathies to you. My second knee operation (scheduled for the end of May, 5 weeks after the first) was cancelled too, in my case because of low haemoglobin levels. It wasn't easy, having geared up for the op, and also the uncertainty about when the new date would be drove me mad!

However, it's great that you are planning to use the time well and my advice would also be to try to get your mind off the operation as much as possible! Do fun stuff you wouldn't be able to do if you were recovering from surgery.

And you'll get there in the end... my happy ending is that I've now had the second operation too (on 6th September) and am doing well.

All the best

River

I am sorry; it's hard enough getting geared up for this surgery, then to have it delayed - a bummer indeed. You have a good attitude for dealing with it.

I'm sorry you now have to wait longer. The long wait is indeed a bummer but now you will know even more when the times comes.

I'm so sorry to hear about the shingles. I hope that because you caught it early, it will not be very bad for you. I've had them (on my face) and it can be quite painful.

Once you are cured and well into recovery, look into getting a shingles vaccine. It will prevent any future outbreaks. After you've been through shingles once, you'll agree that you never, ever want it again!!!

Sorry to hear about your delayed surgery. It's not easy when you've got yourself mentally prepared and then have to change the goalposts again. Try to enjoy yourself a bit while you wait, don't dwell on it, your surgery will get done when the time is right.

Hope you get over the shingles quickly.:friends:

Thanks to all of you for you sympathy and support--makes me feel some better about the delay.

I caught the shingles and starting taking medication within less than 24 hours. I have about 5 blisters down the back of the right side of my neck and they are already starting to dry up. I have a patch of five raised red circles on the front of my right shoulder. They are beginning to fade--but they still itch. The ones on my neck made me feel like I was being stung by a bee. My neck muscles are sore on the right. The worst is over--and compared to what some folks have been through with shingles, I came out very lucky--except for having to cancel my BTKR.

Im sorry you have the shingles, but at least you caught it before the surgery.
I had a mild case of shingles about 2 years ago. after a surgery. Im glad it was mild. Hope I never get them again. Best of luck to you.

Sounds like you caught the shingles early which is good. I may have missed it, but do you have a new target date?

I know you're disappointed, but you need to concentrate on 1 problem at a time. You need to be in as good health as possible for your TKR, so set it up again when you get over the shingles. From what I hear, shingles are a real $#@#%.

Shingles is not nice. I had it last year - in my mouth, throat, lower lip and chin. NOT fun!

Hi! all! I am back with good news. :dancy: Called of OS's office on Wednesday the 12th since I had finished my medication for shingles. I had no further outbreaks, and what I had were beginning to fade away. I asked to be rescheduled as soon as possible, and late this pm I got the call. My pre-op will be this Thursday, LTKR Monday the 24th, and RTKR on the 27th.:yes 4:
I was so ready for this, had everything all lined up,the house all in order to be gone 10 days and preped for my return. So I am really stoked at this moment :yahoo:!

Awesome news!! I'm so happy for you!!! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that the surgeries are a success!! Take care & please let us know how your pre-op testing goes!!

Mountain Kat, I see we're both having LTKR on Monday. I will be thinking of you and looking forward to hearing how everything goes for you. I will not be able to post until around the 3rd of November. I have a pc but no laptop. I'm glad to be in the short rows as the farmers around here say.

Yes Judy, we are surgery buddies! :friends: I will be thinking of you, well as much as I can with the anesthesia! I hope to be back online before you, I am way too connected! :biggrin:

Well, no use crying over spilt milk. I'll just use the additional time to keep building up the leg muscles so recovery will be easier when I finally can have the BTKR. !

Now you're talking. That's the right attitue and the best use of the extra time. And with that kind of positive attitude you will be able to shelve the stress and avoid any reoccurance of any stress related issues. In the meantime, keep coming back here to gather more info and vent all you want. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie